Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #21
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Don't have the MC-60, Just the "OEM" hand mic. Do have a suggestion though

Did I send you a link to the kenwood mods site up-thread? 1st post on page 2 of this thread if your pages break the same as mine

Oh, yet another net to check into 7272 rag chewers 9am to noon Eastern or there abouts

http://www.ragchewers.net
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #22
AE5BI

I run the TS2000 into the SGC237 tuner and I can't tune to 40M for some reason. I think I will turn it on and try listening to that net this morning; but I won't be able to transmit.

I am using the stock handheld mic and the only time I have ever gotten a report of RF getting into the mic is if I sit outside. Maybe check your antenna location?

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #23
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

If it won't turn 40 try changing the length of the antenna.

I should note. it don't tune when the coax connector comes loose either
Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #24
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Don't have the MC-60, Just the "OEM" hand mic. Do have a suggestion though

Did I send you a link to the kenwood mods site up-thread?
I downloaded that mod file. I'll take a look at it. I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder. Is it the mind that goes first ?

John, I see where there are several different mods documented concerning RFI problems with the MC60 mic. I'm surprised that Kenwood as not corrected that problem.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #25
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE5BI View Post
I run the TS2000 into the SGC237 tuner and I can't tune to 40M for some reason.
I've tried tuning my 80 meter inverted "V" with the internal tuner in the TS2000 for 40 meters. It will not do it. My TS450 has no problems tuning it.

Putting up an 80 Meter Double Bazooka here at home soon. Will use a seperate antenna on 40.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:36 AM   #26
w3zi

With Reference to the antenna tuner, I have found it works but the combination of a manual tuner is sometimes required on certain bands. I take the TS2000 tuner out of the circuit and tune up the rig through the tuner. Then engage the tuner in the TS2000 and fine tune it with the internal tuner throughout the band. I dont have that problem so much with the Tarhell here in the MH but did have the issue with multiband wire antennas.

73 Mark
TS2000 / Yaesu 857D and a Tarheel Antenna
w3zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #27
AE5BI

I should clarify that it is the internal tuner that won't tune. The SGC is automatic and I have no idea what it does. My guess is that I have the perfectly wrong length for 40M, I know it is not supposed to fall on an even quarter or some such wavelength measurement. We have two feet of snow so I am not getting on the roof anytime soon!

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, sorry

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG

Guinness the cat

AE5BI
Old 12-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #28
One Country Boy

Hi Stephen,

You've not hi-jacked the thread and it would be OK if you did. I'm glad to see the posts. Wow, two feet of snow on the ground. I pulled up your call on QRZ and it shows you in the middle of (what appears to be) a runway in Arizona. Hi Hi.. Where are you located ? I think another site, maybe your webpage indicates you are in Northern Calif.

No snow here. Dealing with flooding conditions in our area. After a long drought, we now have waterfront property again. The water is a little too high for some that are in the lower areas.

The deal about using the external tuner Mark mentioned looks like it would work. Then you would not have to get up on the roof in the snow. Hi Hi.. As I said, my TS2000 won't tune my 80 meter antenna either. I'm still in the middle of putting this station together, I've got a mess in the shack right now. I've got to go pick up another desk that will support this gear.

Hope you have a Merry and White Christmas Stephen.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #29
AE5BI

That's the problem with the FCC (and QRZ) using a mailing address. Most of us fulltimers have a mail forwarding service. I am in Flagstaff, AZ. It is probably confusing for contesters

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG

Guinness the cat

AE5BI
Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #30
wa8yxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
I downloaded that mod file. I'll take a look at it. I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder. Is it the mind that goes first ?

John, I see where there are several different mods documented concerning RFI problems with the MC60 mic. I'm surprised that Kenwood as not corrected that problem.

Well. Since I don't have an MC-60... I can make no comment.

However, that does make sense

On one of the nets I frequent we have had a poblem.. I have identified the source of the problem (A cell phone getting into a net member's radio) Last night we identified the net member... Wonder if it gets fixed now...

(No, it was not me, and as far as I know it's not a kenwood either but it's bad shielding on a mic cable,that's for sure)
Old 01-31-2009, 08:28 AM   #31
One Country Boy

I'm really enjoying the TS2000. I've used the basics of it only so far. I like the fact that it has 6 and 2 meter ssb capabilities.

I'm ready to un-box the Kenwood TM742a and put it back on the desk. I miss having the seperate radio for 440, 2 meters and 6 meter FM. The sub-band on the 2000 will not allow you to program 6 meters into the memories and we have a couple of 6 meter repeaters in our area I enjoy monitoring and working.

I'm sure there are other brands, but the TS2000 is a great all-in-one package for RVing. I understand why several of you have them in the RV's.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #32
wa8yxm

Suggestions: 1: Consider getting the optional Digital Voice Recorder module, and the CTSS decoder module (useful for some things)

Also there are two URL's you should visit now

1: Kenwood's customer support site (Link Here) and download the PDF manual for the TS-2000. Having the manual on your shack computer hard drive will be very handy

The other link is Kenwood Mods on www.mods.dk

You will find a lot of good information burried in those pages.. I wound up downloading the lot of them (I got a few Yesau mods too since I have an FT-51R, and some info for my TM-733 too)

Lots of good info scattered about those pages
Old 02-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #33
w3zi

Found out my TS2000 loads rather well on 6 M into the Tarheel Antenna on the bumper. Just worked K5RK near Houston on 6M -- EL95 to EL29.. Great to have six -- a band I never had worked much except Field Day.

Anyone else had the TS2000 on Six or the SATS?
Mark
Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #34
One Country Boy

I tried it but no contacts Mark... A contact on 6 with you and I is probably a shot in the dark. Want to try ?

Jim

Old 02-09-2009, 07:15 AM   #35
w3zi

Dont know about that Jim - I monitor the DX Cluster through telnet and thats where I can pick up stations hearing the beacons. I tuned around a bit and heard WY5B/B in Biloxi. It will be hit and miss but fun to try. I picked up Larry (K5RK) in Houston on USB who heard me but pointed his beam up north cuz I was a W3...!!

I would like to get a small beam and armstrong it on a telescoping mast from here at the RV though. As for a sched attempt might do best to try 20 Meters or something as spread out as we all are. Some may have to relay or something like that to get a sched going.
Mark, W3ZI
Old 02-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #36
wa8yxm

I have made a few contacts with my TS-2000 on six. And plan on doing more with it as I improve my antenna collection (I actuallly have everything I nees save a "Round-tuit" and I may get that when the weather improves.

I got to admit. it's one excitign radio.

Have not worked any sats with it yet.. Again.. I don't really have the right antenans
Old 07-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #37
W6CD
Escondido, CA

I like my Kenwood stuff. TS2000 in the house shack, with a SGC500 solid state amplifier and LDG600 tuner. TS480AT in the RV. I use MC-60 mic or more commonly a Heil boomset.
W6CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #38
wa8yxm

Got my TS-2000 at Dayton in 2006. Installed it shortly after, Very nice rig, Rather than sing it's praises though I'll list the "problems" I've had and that way you can see the other side.. (And just how minor the problems are)

Occasionally it acts weird, For example last Monday the auto-tuner (I use a KAT-1 Marine Grade automatic tuner on the back of the motor home with a long wire antenna) Would not tune.. This has happned to me 3 or 4 times in the last six years. Once I found the coax cable connector (PL-259) needed to be re-tightened.. Did so and it worked,, Another time it was the other end of the coax inside the KAT-1 that was loose, same cure.. Last time I did a "Partial Reset" or VFO Reset and ... it worked.. I've had to do VFO resets a few times.

Recommendation, download the kenwood memory manager and back up your memories.. Had do do a full reset once.

The other complaint is that the TS-2000 seems to have a high noise floor, In my case this is not so much a problem as the Radio's noise floor is about .01% of the ambient noise floor (Where I'm at now I see s-9 noise levels, S-3 to S-5 are common) But there is a low noise diode kit which my eyes are no longer good enough to install (Surface mount diodes) I may hire it installed in a few years.

Now the praises part: This radio is nothing short of fantastic.. It does most everything, It covers bands from 160mtrs to 70cm without the "X" module, You have 3 CW memories standard and 3 Digital Voice memories optional, and much more, It will asct as a cross band repeater, as a remote base or with sky command you can completly control it from another radio, You have a choice of two antennas "Built in" for 160 through 6 meters, one with a built in auto-tuner the other (1) uses the external auto tuner (The KAT does not do six meters) YOu can dial down the power level, I keep getting great audio reports from other stations. (OF course getting great audio OUT may have something to do with the audio INput to the microphone) but even if I forget to kill equalization and such I still get good copy when I fire up DM-780 and go Digital. it does digital modes very well.. Kind of fun chatting with places like France, or Spain running 30 watts into a 100' wire tossed over tree limbs.

In short, I like it... Now, that said there is anoter (ICOM) I think that has a few more features... but the decision in my case had to do with case size. It fits where I put it.. See the "How do you not bother others" thread for where I put it.