Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 11-23-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
Richard Stouffer

Default Question on Bumper Stickers

I want to have a sign on the back of my fiberglass motorhome that shows I'm monitoring 146.52. I only want it there when I'm actually monitoring the frequency.

Is there any type of material that will stay in place on fiberglass yet be removable like a magnetic sign. Of course I want to be able to put it on and take it off an infinite number of times.

Thanks
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
Radio
Administrator

IT seems at every hamfest there is a "cap and badge" vendor. These guys often make license plates as well. You could have a plate made that said 146.52 and attach that to your state issued license plate.

I'm thinking of doing this when my trailer gets here. Of course, when the trailer is on the road I will be on 146.52 so that would work for me.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well,,,, I use a 2nd radio to monitor 146.52 so I can use a fixed sign. However there are problems... I think the best option would be a LED sign, the sign would say "Monitoring" all the time and below it woudl be some LED digits, a 1 and a 4 (Fixed but switchable) and then an 7-segment 8, a dot and two more 7-segment 8's and optionally a (or another 7-segment 8)

That way you could turn it on/off as you wished. You could also do this with 146.52. Just lay it out using LED marker lights and dummy lights (Turn it on when on 52 and off otherwise (You use the dummy lights so that if it's off they see 888.88 and know it's off)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Richard Stouffer

OK, thanks.

I'm wondering if that would be kosher- having lights on the back of the unit other that brake, taillights, etc.
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
k9yli

I think the only requirement for lights on the rear of a vehicle is they can't be white.
I would avoind anything but red though.
velcro is a possibility, or suction cups on the window.
actually suction cups inside the rear window.If it falls off it doesnt go anywhere.
I suppose a sign that says TRY .52 would be meaningful to any ham..
k9yli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
AE5BI

Here is my dilemma: I monitor the local repeater when I am in my home state. I monitor 146.52 when traveling but rarely call CQ. My friends expect me on the repeater and because simplex is limited to line-of-site this makes sense. So, I am going to put my call and monitor frequency on my bumper with magnets. Since I tow the Jeep with the MH I will have the current frequency displayed. Does this work for all of you?

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I think we need a changeable message sign, like they have on City Bus buses. This would be part-fixed part changeable

Mine, for example, would say:

WA8YXM
146.52 MHz

The numbers would be changable so I could put in 52.525 or 440.xx or whatever

Actually the best option is a 2nd radio, if you have a hand held, leave it on 146.52 (since anyone close enough to read the sign can hit the hand held no problem, even inside the ride)

Magnetic signs may or may not stick around.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
radiow6lar

Default Some good ideas here.

I use a magnetic sign on the back bumper of my TT. But I really like the idea of a message sign that can be changed at will. Now to find one that is easy to mount and operate from a distance, your TV, and affordable. It also might be a good possibility for something custom made by oneself. Say your call and a switchable frequency readout. Its got to be something that looks right and not just thrown together. That would makes us look all a bit CB'ish.
2004 F-150 XL Supercab HD
2006 Aljo 225LT, Solar Powered
Me: 43 1/2 years GTE (Verizon)
Wife: RN and 45 years putting up with Me!

CQ CQ CQ Ain't life Grand!
radiow6lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:23 AM   #9
wa8yxm

There are a couple of ways to do it, The KISS method involves a lot of wire so hit up your phone company for some multi-pair trunk cable or office cable You need at least 40 or 50 wires (25 pair) One pair is simply power and ground (you may need more than one ground or use a pair of heaver wires) This runs your call and provides ground. The others are wired up in 4-pair batches, (8 wires) one to each of a 7-segment display An 8 pole 11 throw switch at the operator position allows you to "Dial up" a frequency

Just lay out an 8-segment LED bar, Examples

Off52.525 is the Six meter calling frequency (the point is fixed)
146.52off for 2 mtrs

I'm not sure what the 440.xxx is

I also note that the last digit is either a 5 or off (so one wire is all you need) and the first is off, 1 or 4 so 2 wires works there, makes the switching easier too.

I suspect you figured out the 11th position on the switches, (off)

The high tech way is to send digital data down a wire pair, lots less copper, but lots more that can go wrong
Old 07-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
phredsee

It's been some time now since the last post and wondering if anyone has figured out a way to display? Another idea might be to have a plate made similar to what Radio suggested and attach it up high on the ladder with either velcro or tie raps. Use (2) plates for (2) freqs. or (1) plate with both freqs.. I might try this and report back. Talking enroute would sure break up the trip a little.
09 Honda CR-V
phredsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #11
w7wv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well,,,, I use a 2nd radio to monitor 146.52 so I can use a fixed sign. However there are problems... I think the best option would be a LED sign, the sign would say "Monitoring" all the time and below it woudl be some LED digits, a 1 and a 4 (Fixed but switchable) and then an 7-segment 8, a dot and two more 7-segment 8's and optionally a (or another 7-segment 8)

That way you could turn it on/off as you wished. You could also do this with 146.52. Just lay it out using LED marker lights and dummy lights (Turn it on when on 52 and off otherwise (You use the dummy lights so that if it's off they see 888.88 and know it's off)
I saw a guy a few years ago with a high end RV that had a ticker tape style display on the rear of his MH.
It's banner displays his callsign and his monitor freq and even invited you to give him a call. You could not miss it!
Of course these signs can be programmed for the information you want displayed.
Makes me wonder what voltage source the banner ran on, AC or DC.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:46 AM   #12
W6DCS

I have not found an answer yet either. I am wondering if the plastic stuff that sticks on windows will work on fiberglass? I will be out and about up to Shaver Lake, will be monitoring, and looking for any ideas I might see on the back of someone else's rig.
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
W6DCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
k8zfj

FWIW...i purchased a custom made plate frame from these folks:

http://www.engravenet.com/miva/merch...y_Code=blframe

several yrs ago for my truck; may need to revisit them soon
k8zfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
K3NOQ/Mobile

Location: Full Time RV'er, anywhere USA, usually Canyon Lake Tx in winter, SoPark Co. CO. in summer
Default .52 advisory

The "Try .52" sounds good to me. If I am on the road, I don't want to be distracted entering different freq'.s, PL codes, etc. on the radio as we go through different areas. I am certainly within range of .52 simplex if you are reading my sign! I will start travelling with the HT on 52 on the dash to listen for other travellers.

I see many sign shops offering same day service on vinyl stick on signs. Some auto parts stores sell a generic make your own kit. You could color coordinate it to display nicely on your rig. A decent sized sign for "Try 52" would be cheap and not require mounting holes to apply. You could put your call on it also.

// K3NOQ/3 (today near Ballamer, Hon!)

2K Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Icom 7000 w/ Lil' Tarheel, Comet B250,6 Mtr Squalo
4wd Chevy Tracker w/FT7800 & TS-60
Fulltimer-Ret'd 2-Way & Brdcst tech.
APCO - OFWA - SKP's - MSP
K3NOQ/Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #15
wa8yxm

Have a license plate made and get a holder for it.. Some holders you kind of "Slip in" the plate.. Get that kind and slip it out

The only other choice is a lighted sign or some kind of "Shuttered" sign
Old 11-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #16
KU4EF

Saw these posts maybe a little late, but as for a sign that will display a message with LED's, there are a couple of items in Northern Tool Catalog that may suffice. It's a scrolling digital message display one for the license tag and the other for the rear window. Item# 7015100-1901 or 7016100-1901 for about $39.99. Page 365 in the 2008 fall/winter catalog. Hope this helps.
KU4EF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stouffer View Post
OK, thanks.

I'm wondering if that would be kosher- having lights on the back of the unit other that brake, taillights, etc.

In Michigan it could cause you to be ticketed.

You could try glueing either sheet metal behind where you want the sign or even magnets to improve the grip of the sign. There are many kinds of epoxies and other glues that should do the trick and you wouldn't be limited to the bumper area but as far up as you could reach.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #18
wa8yxm

I have a plate that says as I recall

146.52 52.525
2-mtr-6

Just now it's on a junk trailer. .It will be moved to some kind of holder on the motor home when I finish my radio set up.. (I have most of the parts just short one "Round-tuit")

I'm going to have to get to that one of these days

I may put it in a "Dealer's Frame" on the towed..
Old 12-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #19
WB4VYH

Well, No body asked me ....... but...... this would do it....

http://shopping.msn.com/specs/roadma...del%23-rrds100

but with the letters 1 1/4 in high....how close would one need to be to read it? Oh yeah, it runs on 12 VDC.

Al
WB4VYH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #20
donnie

Send a message via MSN to donnie

When I tow the Jeep behind the MH, I took a magnetic sheet and got some self stick numbers and put my call and 146.52, then cut the sheet to size and placed it on the rear of the Jeep.
Dont have anything on the MH yet as I dont have a rig in it other than the HT.
If Im not mistaken the National 440 freq is 446.00
I believe that 432.10 could also be used.

I also apologize because after posting my reply, I saw the age of this post.

donnie

K7UTA
donnie is offline   Reply With Quote