Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
KF5BET

Default found a new thing to do!

We went to a state park about 1 1/2hrs north of here for the weekend with some friends. Had beautiful weather, good food and good friends. Who could ask for anything more.

Saturday we tried something new. Geocaching. Basically it's treasure hunting with a handheld gps. We located 8 different caches within the park. Anything from a mini m&m container with just a log for signatures to a fairly large ammo can containing all sorts of trinkets.

You find the coordinates of the caches by going to geocaching.com and then searching for caches in and around your location.

I vaguely remember hearing about this several years ago but never did anything with it. Then our friend said lets try it. Was nice to get out and hike through the woods. The kids really got into it with each one wanting to be the one controlling the gps.

Give it a try next time you're out. Will work on a smartphone as well. My iphone did ok, but definitely see the advantage of having the gps.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

I have a friend, N5LUL, who has told me about his geocaching adventures. Sounds cool! We will have to try that sometime. Thanks for posting!
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

That can be a fun thing to do, try "FOX HUNTING" next, a good thing to learn for search & rescue.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
KF5BET

The girls and I did a foxhunt at last years local hamfest. Was pretty fun. The girls beat out another guy and he wasn't too happy He says he is going to beat this year. We'll have to see about that. I built a tape measure yagi that worked quite well. Hopefully we can make it two in a row.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 03-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
ke5zru
Rockin Hamette

Sounds like a lot of fun! That's something that we've been trying to get started for our local hamfest and for Field Day as well!
VE
SKYWARN Volunteer
Communications Coordinator for MS150 Wild West Bike Tour
ARES Committee Secretary (Panhandle Amateur Radio Club)
My Blog
ke5zru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
w5olm

Galen, Good luck at the Rayne Hamfest this weekend, and congrats on your editorship of the ARRA paper. Wish I could be at the Hamfest, but unfortunately, I work Sat and Sun. Be there in thought though. Feel bad about the weather damages in Rayne this last weekend. Prayers go out to the family of the one that lost her life protecting her infant son.
Lee
W5OLM
w5olm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
One Country Boy

I recently read a post on another forum about geocaching and went to the geocaching link. It looks very interesting and I think I might enjoy doing some of that. I read several posts in a geocaching forum about users locating very old survey markers. They also posted photos of the survey monuments, it was very interesting. Some of the monuments were made of concrete, others metal or metal in concrete and dated back to almost a hundred years old. I can see how that could be a good hobby.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
KF5BET

Thanks Lee. Wish you could make it but we understand. I think we will still have a good turn out even with the situation in Rayne. Looking forward to seeing everyone and having a good time.

As for geocaching I am now in the search for a handheld gps so that we can delve into this activity a little further. I think it would be really neat to locate those old monuments. It is fascinating to find them and know that they were installed in a time when there was no electronic help. That's when surveying was an art form huh?
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 03-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
We went to a state park about 1 1/2hrs north of here for the weekend with some friends. Had beautiful weather, good food and good friends. Who could ask for anything more.

Saturday we tried something new. Geocaching. Basically it's treasure hunting with a handheld gps. We located 8 different caches within the park. Anything from a mini m&m container with just a log for signatures to a fairly large ammo can containing all sorts of trinkets.

You find the coordinates of the caches by going to geocaching.com and then searching for caches in and around your location.

I vaguely remember hearing about this several years ago but never did anything with it. Then our friend said lets try it. Was nice to get out and hike through the woods. The kids really got into it with each one wanting to be the one controlling the gps.

Give it a try next time you're out. Will work on a smartphone as well. My iphone did ok, but definitely see the advantage of having the gps.
When we did it in the Army it was with compasses & maps(GPS wasn't invented then) it was called Orienteering. Even enjoyed it then.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS
Default Orienteering

It's still done that way, NOT A DARN THING WRONG with learning the BASIC'S !
There are many group's that use only a map and compass only, some times the latest and greatest electronics make thing's a bit TOO EASY and we tend to forget how to do things THE OLD WAY !
Old 03-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #11
KF5BET

yes I remember the days of orienteering (we just called it map reading) when I was a kid. Growing up in the mountains of NM I was taught at a young age how to navigate with map and compass by my grandfather. Fond memories.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 03-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
w5olm

Ahh yes! The memories. When flying with Civil Patrol Search and rescue, we used many hours of map reading. Also did a lot of "dead reaconing" which is flying using known landmarks which were easily recognized from the air.
Lee Manning
W5OLM
Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
KF5BET

Hey Lee:

It was great to meet you at the hamfest. Always glad to get a face to face QSO.
Hope you had a good time. I thought the turn out was quite good.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 03-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
w5olm

Galen
Likewise, it was great to have a face to face with you. I can affirm to all on the forum that you have a wonderful family also. Enjoyed the hamfest, and even bought myself a new radio. It has D-Star in it, so I will be asking our forum friends soon for advice and thoughts on D-Stars as it is absolutely new to me. I think I am going to fork over the cash and have it professionally installed since I do not have the time to do it. Also got a dual band one-eighth wave antenna for it. That is also new to me.

Lee W5OLM
Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
KF5BET

We had a really good time. Lots of stuff to look at for sure.

Unfortunately the girls were bested at the fox hunt. They did find it though! Maybe next year.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad