Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 09-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
KC1BUD

Default Ike's effect on Michigan

Here east of Flint, Ike dropped 3 inches of rain Saturday and 2 on Sunday. Sunday lost 1/2 power(64 volts) for about 5 hours. Still mostly cloudy today.

Nothing like the mess it left behind in the gulf but still many people here don't believe it can reach here.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
One Country Boy

Default Ike

Hi Dan and the Gang,

Ike was a huge storm and very powerful. You are correct, few people realize they can go well inland before falling apart. We got practically no rain from Ike here. I think the nearest the storm passed was a little over 400 miles to the south of us. The barometer barely fluctuated. We got light breezes for several days. Actually it dropped the temps some and was much more pleasant. Anything to escape the tremendous heat and humidity here in the summer is nice, but not a hurricane.

Although we received no rain to speak of or serious winds, we did have property damage here. I live in Gulf County, Florida. Down on the coast, in an area call Cape San Blas, the surge eroded the sugar white sands and destroyed at least one beach front home and undermined many others. That's the price you pay for building on the coast. Mother Nature is going to get you one day.

Sounds as though a limb or tree knocked out one phase of your electricity there. That's sort of unusual isn't it ? Well, on second thought that would not be the problem. Wierd that it did not kick a breaker out somewhere on the line. I'm glad you had no damage Dan.

I spoke with my cousin in Houston yesterday via cell phone. He has all his family stationed about 100 miles north of Houston. They suffered no serious property damage, a tree down and a fence. He is a volenteer firefighter and EMT so he stayed through the storm. He also works in a refiinery, so he has his hands full.

We woke up to our first hint of fall in the air. Seventy degrees the low temp here this morning and the humidity is much lower. The wx'man says we're going to have mornings down in the 6o's the next few days and highs in the low 90's. It's going to be time to go campin' .....

The XYL and I made a trip to Dothan, AL yesterday (about 100 miles from the QTH). On the way home we drove through some heavy rains and some of the worst lightning I had seen in a long time. I wish I had photographed the black wall cloud that created all this. I beleive it was a cold front moving through.

Good to hear from you Dan. It would be nice to see some other reports, as to the effects of Ike. It's interesting to me.

Thanks,

Old 09-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

All over Michigan gas prices spiked due to Ike's shutting down some Texas refineries

Which is kind of strange since most of the gas sold around here is refined in Detroit from Canadian crude.. So why did we get gouged? (I also ask the attorney general and my state rep that same question)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
One Country Boy

Our Govenor, "Charlie Crisp", said we had no shortage either but, prices have still gone up.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
Radio
Administrator

Average price in Georgia is $4.09. Way too high but not bad as predicted. Some stations remain more or less closed with no gas at all.

Prices spiked to over $5.00 in spots, then Gov. Sonny Perdue envoked the law he was given after Katrina to go after excessive price hikes. Prices dropped to current levels with in an hour.

Go figure.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote