Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 09-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
TXiceman

Default Tarheel and Turbotuner

I am still wrestling with the antenna on my silver Avion (looks like an Airstream). I do not want to be knocking holes in the aluminum to mount an antenna, so I am looking at a bracket on the A-frame at the front with a metal pole bolted to it. On this pole I would mount a Tarheel screwdriver and bring the coaxial and control cables inthrough the lower belly of the trailer.

The pole would put the bottom of the antenna about 9 feet off the ground.

Will I get sufficient ground plane with this arrangement to have a workable antenna?

I will most likely use the FT950 in the trailer and leave the FT857 and ATAS 120 antenna on the truck.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
W5DOK
Old Member

I use a Tarheel mounted to the rear ladder of my MH. The bottom of the antenna coil is even with the roof line of the MH. I had to run a ground strap to the frame and my swr is flat to 1.2 across the bands. Obviously, I can't leave it mounted while on the road, but it only take a couple of minutes to put it up or take it down. I also use a Comet CHA 250 sometimes when I'm in an area that will allow it. Same deal, you have to have a good ground to the rv frame in order to have a good ground plane. The Comet is also at roof top height. In spite of all the bad press the Comet gets, it just works for me. Your Tarheel should work just fine on the Avion.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
TXiceman

Thanks for the reply. I want to cover 10m through 80 m SSB and some digital mode. What model are you using and any recommendations.

Thanks
Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
W5DOK
Old Member

I use an Icom 736 for the transciever. It covers 6 - 160 and the antenna is a Tarheel 200A. I have a telescoping pole that I cut both ends off of that fits nicely in one of the bays and takes up no room. I attach the antenna to the pole and attach the pole to my rear ladder. Same should work attached to the tow hitch of your TT. I replaced the whip on the Tarheel with a cb 102 steel whip. That gives me a little wider coverage on the lower freqs. I was just in a campground in Colorado with a couple of other hams that were using Buddi Sticks and sloper ants and my Tarheel out performed their antennas in every way. Since I only run 100 watts, I could have used a much smaller Tarheel but I may someday want to put an amp in the MH.
Doc
Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
TXiceman

Well, dang, I carried the FT950 out to the trailer and guess what....that sucker is too big to put anywhere that I won't get the wrath of the XYL. If we could leave the stinking parrot (African Gray) somewhere other than with us, there is room....but his travel cage goes on the best spot for the "shack".

So it is back to pulling the FT857 out of the truck and putting it in the trailer when I want to work from there.

What I would like to have for the trailer is a Kenwood TS480HX and use that as a base at home. Anyone have a gently used TS40HX they would want to swap for a gently used 1-1/2 year old Yaesu FT950 plus a little cash.

I love the FT950, but it will not fit well into our future use on the road.

Ken
Old 09-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
KF5BET

Would love to have the FT950 but alas no ts480 or cash for a radio at this time.....Good luck with the install. Our Fiver is too small for any kind of radio setup, so I am forced to the outside with a "Field Day" installation.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
TXiceman

I decided to keep the FT950 and will use it with a Little Tarheel II and an Ameritron SDC-102 programable turn counter. I am building a laydown bracket to be mouned up top and run the antenna wires over to and down the refrigerator vent stack.

I could not find a good way to mount things on the trialer and still insure a good ground plane.

Hope to have it all done in a couple of weeks.

Ken
Old 10-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

You might like to look at extendable poles, There are two or three kind that work fairly well depending on the weight and air profile of the antenna.

Painter's poles, tend to be fiberglass or wood, but I've seen them 20-30-more feet long (2.5 story house with attic, painting the very peak standing on the ground) I'm not sure they would hold the antenna plus no "Ground" via the pole (you could run a ground strap)

Flag Poles, Mine is a 20 footer as I recall, Sunsetter, Aluminum Plus I can run a ground strap. I believe this will hold your antenna.

Fiberglass flag poles.. Too much flex to make me happy.

NOTE that these come with a variety of mounts. including one (or 2) that woudl bolt quite nicely to the "A" frame, in fact the park-on base I have (I park 26,000 pounds of Class A on it) could be very very slightly modified to bolt to the "A" frame.

The mod.. Basically drill some holes (for the mounting bolts) and trim one end a bit .
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

Why not use adhesive to mount a steel plate to the top-dead-center of your Avion, then mount (mag or permanent) your tarheel to the plate. All that aluminium ground plane sure would be a waste otherwise. Surely you could improvise a flat braid electrical ground somehow-- maybe you could ground the antenna to the vent and the vent to the chassis.
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
TXiceman

It will be well grounded to the top of the RV. I am just going to use the RV vent to get the wires inside with one less hole.

ken
Old 10-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
W5DOK
Old Member

Hey Ken,
Couple of things that could be of concern. Is the body of the TT mounted to the frame on rubber bushings? If so, you will need to ground the body in several places with braid. My guess is that the frame is actually electrical ground. Several years ago, I tried to make a mount that would attach to the crank up tv antenna. All I succeeded in doing was rip the mount out the first time a strong wind came up. That was one of my better ideas. I have a friend that has an older Airstream (back when they made them out of thick metal) and he has stuff mounted all over the top of it. Some of it actually works.
Good luck
Doc
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
WD8QBQ

Lightbulb

You only need one hole for the Tarheel.

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
WD8QBQ

Lightbulb

Jim
Old 10-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
WD8QBQ

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Well, dang, I carried the FT950 out to the trailer and guess what....that sucker is too big to put anywhere that I won't get the wrath of the XYL. If we could leave the stinking parrot (African Gray) somewhere other than with us, there is room....but his travel cage goes on the best spot for the "shack".

So it is back to pulling the FT857 out of the truck and putting it in the trailer when I want to work from there.

What I would like to have for the trailer is a Kenwood TS480HX and use that as a base at home. Anyone have a gently used TS40HX they would want to swap for a gently used 1-1/2 year old Yaesu FT950 plus a little cash.

I love the FT950, but it will not fit well into our future use on the road.

Ken
Just tell the Dear Wife that your pet deserves a place for it's cage as well and put your radio wherever you wish

JIM
Old 10-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
TXiceman

Jim, you want her to put a knot on your noggin. You know the rule...If Mama ain;t happy, no one is happy.

How do you get the coax and the antenna control wires down one hole unless you go to a Breedlove mount.

Ken
Old 10-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #16
WD8QBQ

Lightbulb

I found a marine fitting it is a three part plastic and rubber assembly.
A hole is drilled in the roof for the wires the proper size for them all bundled together.
The base is screwed to the roof over the hole.
A rubber piece that is tapered on the OD and is solid is drilled to just fit the wires.
You then slit the rubber disc from the outside to the hole.
Feed the wires through the cap and into the hole.
Between the cap and base slide the wires into the slot on the rubber disc until they are in the hole.
Align the cover over the rubber disc and place both onto/into the base and screw together. This compresses the rubber and seals the entry.

I will try to find/remember the name of the fitting.

JIM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpu9i3GJPM.jpg (48.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 10-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #17
WD8QBQ

Lightbulb

A couple of better pics I found of the fitting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THROUGH THE HULL 2 RS.jpg (37.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg THROUGH THE HULL RS.jpg (36.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #18
TXiceman

There was no need to put a hole on the roof for the coax and antenna control wires. The base is mounted about 2 feet from the vent from the frig. It was easy enough to just drop the wires down the stack into and into the back of the cabinet there. Once inside the cabinet, I can run into adjacent cabinets to get to an area to mount the equipment. One less hole and one less place for potential leaks.

I'll post photos as soon as I get it done.

Ken