Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
ke0me

Default Is "RG-58 cable" really "RG-58 cable"?

I should know better, but I bought 50 ft of "RG-58 with PL-259" connectors off the internet.

Question is, the cable is described as 10base2 cable, not RG-58 although I understand that RG-58 is a spec, not a product.

Connectors are PL-259, but the short kind, but not sure if that's an issue.

Cable made in USA by BerkTek, which seems to be a big manufacturer of cable and fiber products, but for computer applications.

1 - Any thoughts if this cable will work for HF at 100 watts or less?
2 - Any way to test it with minimal test equipment?
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

<wayBackMachine = ON>

As best as I recall/determine it really is RG-58 cable with a characteristic impendence of 50 ohms. It was used in old style Ethernet networks where the PCs were daisy chained one to the next with BNC "T" connectors. Terminated on each end of the line with a 50 ohm termination resistor.

I had a ton of those cables, about 2 meters long each with BNCs on each end, 100s of those "T" connectors. Could not even give it away at hamfests. Wound up in the trash.

If the cable can handle 100 watts, it should work. I don't think SWR will be an issue.

<wayBackMachine = OFF>

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

It's likely to be adequate.

If you don't have much test gear, you can put a dummy load on one end and a transmitter on the other end, and pour 100 watts into it for a few minutes at ten meters. Then feel it. If it doesn't get warm, it isn't turning your RF into heat. All coax is lossier at higher frequencies -- that's why you do this on ten meters.

If it does get warm, send it to the landfill, or use it as rope for erecting tents at Field Day. That's what the Novices did with 100 feet of brand new Belden RG-58B/U that I made available at Field Day in Dallas one year. Did you know that a muscular young Novice can tie really tight knots in RG-58? It's easier to cut with a pocket knife than rope is, too.

Anyway I'll bet it's just fine.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
N3LYT

It should be fine on HF at a 100 watts. The loss at even 6 meters is only around 1.6 db in 50' sure there is far better cable but as they get bigger they becomes harder to handle so for some thing portable it's a good compromise. Yes it was used as computer linking until they perfected twisted copper connections.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Belden 9907 RG58 Thinnet 10Base2 Coax Cable - PVC - Per FT
Part no. 80-580-905 WH
Designed for Thinnet 10Base2. Stranded Conductor, UL Listed, 50 Ohm Coax Cable

Many moons ago...I was a termimnal operator on a "Thin Net" Lan..Other than we used BNC connectors..Yes it was RG-58 Thie above is from a site that sells Cables.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote