Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm
Default The New Dayton Hamvention

Well. Got back to the RV from the Green County Fairgrounds. New home for the Dayton Hamvention.. And I have to say I had a very good day. But.. There were some issues I am aware of

On the way into Xenia (I'm parked 15 miles south of the Green county courthouse, 17 south of the fairgrounds.. ON the main n/s road (Detroit/Ohio 380) through Xenia I mean turn right out the driveway and follow the road)

I was listeiniong to folks complainign about an hour or more stuck in traffic. Well I hit backup just a few blocks south of Main (Google Autozone) and ask my phone for nearest restaurants.. LINDA's on East main (South side) aobut half a block east of Detroit/380 was the one I picked (Good choice as it turns out) and I quickly switched to a side road to get there. Enjoyed breakfast with 2 fellow Hams. and then again via side roads worked my way up past the elementary school and on to fairgrounds road.. Was not 20 mintues in back up on Fairgrounds and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of parking LOT.

Into the event (They did not hold my ticket at Will Call as I ask but,, Not a problem) I got to meet Bob Heil whom I had something to drop off to. George Thomis, Don Willbanks, Gordo and Tommy, Did all my shopping and, basically did everyting I wanted to do..

I recall that the layout in Harah was a whole lot of "You can't get there form here" Well the layout here was nice and more or less linier, Getting from one place to another was very easy, Lay out very logical Was able to visit every booth I wishe to visit and look over the rest of 'em. Same in the flea market, Got want I wanted (And a few thigns I did not expect to find.. All in one day. >Could not do that at the old site. Won a door prize I have no use for at this time.. but that will change in time so I'll keep it. Very happy.

For those thinking about next year.. Xenia/Green County are aware of the traffic issue, and are working on improvement plans already.

But with a bit of maping (I used Google maps on my phone) No problem for me.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
electricflyer

Glad to hear John made it OK to the Hamvention. Myself and son KG7OF were one of the vehicles in line for an hour waiting to get into the parking area. There was plenty of spaces to park. We went on Friday AM and only stayed a few hours, not interested in any purchases it didn't take long to cover the high spots. The weather was cool so AC was not a worry. There were 3 main display buildings and another 4 or 5 smaller buildings. I'll have to give DARA credit for such an undertaking. I'm sure there will be changes coming next year. I think for those who have complaints they should volunteer THEIR time and understand the challenge. We didn't experience any rain but I'm sure it did rain in the afternoon as well as every afternoon. When we left about 11:30am there was still lines of traffic over a mile long to get into the parking area. It looked like the RV parking area may be a consideration in the future. It was right next to the display area so not far to walk at all. Here are a couple photos of the RV parking area. We were camped in Lancaster Ohio at a site simply called Lancaster RV Campground, to be close to where my son and DIL lived on the SE side of Columbus (Reynoldsburg). It was a great little campground with 24 backing sites on the grounds of a Methodist Church campground that was about 140 years old. There were also close to 100 cottages on the campground that were mainly used for summer getaways. Many of them were built shortly after the campground was established. The campground is on the Historic Register. Very quiet, close to shopping, there was a railroad in the valley below us but we only heard the sound of the engine, no horns. It was water and electric and they had pump outs on Tuesday and Friday at no extra cost, a guy had a cart behind a golf cart with a pump and storage tank to do it so that was very convenient. There also was a dump site if needed. Except for the daily rains (even on travel days) it was a very enjoyable trip (1200 miles).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010010.jpg (48.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P1010011.jpg (77.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P1010021.jpg (105.0 KB, 3 views)
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I "Skipped" most bof the traffic, Mostly because I had breakfast in Xenia (As planned) and then took an illogical route instead of heading straight into it.

But then..... I'm a retired police dispatcher.. We learn how to "Get around" if we have to

I am not going to tell the path I took cause if I do.. it will be closed.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote