Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
N3LYT

My pickup looks a bit like a trawler I guess if some one can't figure out I'm a ham there not. I would not mind a ham tag but I'm not going to pay for it forever.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

In Michigan I think we pay $2.00 extra when we get a metal plate made special.. Others pay like 25 for a vanity plate.. The Vanity plate law, as written originally, would have done that to us as well.. However some senator had a ham radio operator for a secretary and as a result the lansing postmaster had to make a phone call.....

Something like this: Hello, U-haul.. Uh,, Somebody on the hill screwed up again, we'll need a couple of rental trucks for the day".

Do the same to your capitol city postmaster,, Both E-mail and paper mail, and burn up a few phone lines, and perhas an amendment can be drafted and passed.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
N3LYT

If I thought that would work I would gladly use my truck! I could not even get the two ham legislators in Maine to sponsor a bill and one was an old friend.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
K4EAK

I've got a ham radio license plate, as do most of the members of my club (the LaGrange Amateur Radio Club). LARC is a pretty active organization, and I guess it's part of the local culture that we all (mostly all) carry call-sign tags.

I'm also not as distressed by the surcharge (which, as noted, is pretty steep in Georgia). Over the years, I've grown generally weary of public funding for everyone's special interests and have moved more in favor of user fees -- if you want something from the government, fine, pay for it. I realize that the concept isn't a perfect match for ham radio license plates, but it's close enough that I don't get real worked up about paying the fee.

As to people knowing how to find me: my identity, location, interests, and general bio are so splattered over the internet that my ham radio license plate is the least of my problems. So, I don't get worked up about that either.

YMMV.
73 Skip K4EAK
K4EAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
N3LYT

Shoot with a street address one can find your house and your cars parked in the drive way on Google Earth! It's really hard to be anonymous any more.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
W5DOK
Old Member

And if you Google ham radio operators in your county, you get all the info that's on file with the FCC. It's impossible to keep your private info private anymore.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #17
Radio
Administrator

Skip from LaGrange GA.

Hmmm? Why does that seem so familiar, me being right up the road in Fayetteville?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #18
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

BUD,, I carry a copy of that Michigan Law wrapped around my "Ticket" (Extra class licene for non ham-speakers on the forum). I've met law enforcement officers who did not understand that paragraph, and what's more I had ham plates on the car. (It's the license (HAM) not the Registration plate, that grants the privileged.

Knowledge of the law came in handy a time or two on the job. (Police dispatcher) when I'm sorry to say the supect was a ham, and yes, he had a scanner. so we had to use other means to direct our cars to where we suspected he was going.. Worked well too, he pulled in the drive right in front of the Blue Goose that pulled in behind him, Neatly out flanked, he surrendered.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #19
megahurst

Indiana went from $4 to $8 over a few years THEN - dropped the whole fee. Apparently they are making enough off of vanity plates. Formally there was paper work to file at least six months in advance. Now it is just a simple matter of renewing the plate annually.
megahurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #20
K4EAK

Default Re: Ham Radio License Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Skip from LaGrange GA. Hmmm? Why does that seem so familiar, me being right up the road in Fayetteville?
Wade -- you're right, we're almost neighbors (50 miles or so). I'm not at the hamshack, so I can't check the the log, but maybe we've bumped into each other on the air? Also, I've worked from time to time on various small aspects of the Georgia QSO Party, and my club administers the "Worked All Georgia" Award. (Further information here: WAG.)

73 Skip K4EAK
K4EAK is offline   Reply With Quote