Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 09-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I would still put the converter in a proper Farady cage. A copper screen, (like a window screen but frankly for all but UHF you can have fairly large holes) all six sides, with condenser/capacitors on all wires going in and out, Ground the cage to the same ground as your radio.. ARRL showed a cheap TV suffering from TVI from their multi-kilowatts.. And what happened when they caged it.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #12
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I would still put the converter in a proper Farady cage.
Either that, or a Faraday cage.

Actually that's an excellent idea, but not always very easy to do. In my motor home, flor example, I would estimate that it would be a two- to three-day project, during which there'd be no lights in the interior -- excepting only a single fluorescent fixture over the galley sink; maybe not even that, since I'd have to kill the 12ovac to the converter.

The converter is at floor level under a closet, inconvenient to work on. When I replaced the converter a year or two ago, it was a significant job and took a whole day, even without the huge additional work of disconnecting, bypassing, and reconnecting all of the many wires.

Whew! I'd rather do without ham radio, unless I had somewhere else to live for a week or so while I cage the converter.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:53 PM   #13
JNeeleyW6ZKH

I finally just ended up flipping the breaker at the power panel to OFF and that was the only way I could get rid of the hash, which was about 20 over S9.
2008 Dodge 3500 Diesel Quadcab
Montana 3440RL 5'er
JNeeleyW6ZKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #14
N3LYT

I had a battery maintainer that was a really good QRP transmitter on 10 meters it could do 900' with no antenna I think with a key and an antenna I could work the world with it!
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #15
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

There are several solutions up to and including a different converter. Some are worse than others.

Ferrites, Caps, And a Farady Cage are the top cures, that last one is kind of drastic, but very very effective.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:20 AM   #16
Wa2yly

My converter and battery charger were on the same 110v breaker.I separated them and installed another 110v breaker.when im on the radio i shutoff breaker for battery charger.this helps a lot.I know this is not a solution,but a work around.
73 bob wa2yly
Wa2yly is offline   Reply With Quote