Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
One Country Boy

Default Hustler antenna shaft, "got the shaft"

When we pulled out of the last campground a few weeks ago it was windy and raining. We decided to pack it in and head home on the spur of the moment. Consequently, in such a rush and trying to keep dry, I forgot a couple of things. I took my old Hustler mount down, packed away the resonators and forgot the antenna shaft. I didn't discover I had left it for several days. I had that foldover shaft for 30 years or more.

After kicking myself for several days, I decided the only thing to do was order another. Rather than replace it with the same type foldover, I decided I would order a standard 54 inch straight shaft (Hustler MO3). It was cheaper too. I placed my order with Ham Radio Outlet (Atlanta) and in a few days received the below, damaged MO3. I had ordered a "straight shaft". I called HRO and they shipped a new one immediatly. I'm still waiting for UPS to pick up the damaged item. I was told if they didn't come within five days to get rid of the item. It doesn't look like they are coming. Anyone got any ideas on how to straighten this thing ? It's solid aluminum with a vinyle coating. Seems like a waste to just toss it.

I have to say HRO is a good place to do business or always has been for me. They didn't question my claim and were willing to ship to a campground if I had been on the road. I might add this disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Ham Radio Outlet. I just thinik it's a great place to do business.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Misc2009_0527_180423 (Small).JPG (42.2 KB, 87 views)
Old 05-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
gary

maybe you could put one end in a vice , put a tight fiting pipe on the other end and be very gentle bend it on the bend. it might work.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
When we pulled out of the last campground a few weeks ago it was windy and raining. We decided to pack it in and head home on the spur of the moment. Consequently, in such a rush and trying to keep dry, I forgot a couple of things. I took my old Hustler mount down, packed away the resonators and forgot the antenna shaft. I didn't discover I had left it for several days. I had that foldover shaft for 30 years or more.

After kicking myself for several days, I decided the only thing to do was order another. Rather than replace it with the same type foldover, I decided I would order a standard 54 inch straight shaft (Hustler MO3). It was cheaper too. I placed my order with Ham Radio Outlet (Atlanta) and in a few days received the below, damaged MO3. I had ordered a "straight shaft". I called HRO and they shipped a new one immediatly. I'm still waiting for UPS to pick up the damaged item. I was told if they didn't come within five days to get rid of the item. It doesn't look like they are coming. Anyone got any ideas on how to straighten this thing ? It's solid aluminum with a vinyle coating. Seems like a waste to just toss it.

I have to say HRO is a good place to do business or always has been for me. They didn't question my claim and were willing to ship to a campground if I had been on the road. I might add this disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Ham Radio Outlet. I just thinik it's a great place to do business.

The only radio I bought new was my V-8 HT, and I got it from HRO.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I have dealt with HRO on a couple of occasions.

And I can say I'm 100% pleased with them

I've also purchased from AES... And likwise am happy, got to call them again though when I have a couple of bucks to spare (I'm serious, $2.00 should cover it)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
w3zi

Jim: You might try heating it up with a heat gun combined with a vise. I have never had the situation but thats what my brain can come up with..73
TS2000 / Yaesu 857D and a Tarheel Antenna
w3zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
jagco

I have dealt with HRO, too, and was very pleased.

1977 Diamond Class C
(Ford E350, 460)
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Dizzy-Dick

Default Bent Shaft

If you put heat on it, be carefull not to over heat it, aluminum has a low melting point. If you can get access to the inside of the tube, pack it full with sand to prevent any crimping when bending.

If it is crimped badly, just cut it in two pieces and solder a sleeve on it. If you can't find an aluminum sleeve to fit, try copper. The plumbing section of your hardware store should have something close.

Good luck on fixing it. Let us know how it worked out,
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
One Country Boy

I haven't tackled the shaft yet. Thanks for the ideas. It has a vinyle or plastic coating around the aluminum, so if I apply heat, I would probably just removed the coating. I may look around for a machine shop and see if they have a way to straighten it. It's not crimped at all, just a gradual bend. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks for all the ideas guys, I 'preciate it.

Jim

Old 06-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

There is a very easy way to straighten it if it's not crimped.. I don't think a muffler shop (Custom muffler shops bend pipe all the time) will have dies that small (in fact I know they won't) but a plumber might. And that's all it takes.

If the shaft, normally, is straight, not tapered, and if the end cap can be removed or if the end cap is the same outside diameter as the shaft you can slip a spring of the same ID as the shaft is OD over it, this prevents crimping on gentle bends.

That's also how the die method works
Old 06-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
wa8yxm

Duplicate due to software error
Old 07-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
One Country Boy

Hi Guys,

I'll take a photo of the shaft in a day or two and post it. I've got it almost straight. I've just been working with it very gingerly on a cushioned stool. So-far, so-good.... It is usable now and if you didn't look closely you probably would not even know it was not perfect.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I just decided I was going to attempt it this way and it's been working.

~ Jim ~