Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #14
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5sq View Post
I have operated an ALS-500 amp generally running about 400 watts for close to 20 years in an older 93 Dodge Cummins Diesel pickup with a triple mag mount on top of the cab and mfj hamsticks. The amp makes a big difference in maintaining regular contact with a group of guys I talk with frequently. A lot of the time they would hardly hear me with 100 watts, particularly on 75M, since the ant is so inefficient. I will get it worked out sooner or later, but just thought I would ask on here just in case someone had been there done that. CB radio would be new to me; I have been a ham since 1960, right after they took the 11 meter band from us. Thanks for all the feed back.
Yeah you are at a big disadvantage mobile the guys at home have workable setup. A 128' simple dipole in the trees at the house as opposed to a stick on the roof is just is not fair. I have never stopped to figure out the ERP of a mobile antenna but I'it can't be no more than a hand full watts mobile. I never had much luck with the sticks the only ones that worked OK for me were 10 meters. I use a LiLTarheel with a long whip back by the tail gate on my pickup.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobile hf amp issues