Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 09-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
KG5UN

Default Las Vegas

Greetings all.
We are currently set-up at the Sams Town RV park in Las Vegas. Spent 2 nights on the road, one in the Wal Mart parking lot in Ruidoso Downs, NM and the next on some National Forest land just outside of Williams Arizona.
Now we will relax for a few nights here in Sin-City.

Hope everyone else is having fun too!
2012 Coachmen Freelander 32BH
KG5UN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Fill up with diesel before you start gambling. That way, you'll still be able to get home. Maybe.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
KF5BET

Hey Ed:

Man I about fell out of my chair....That Wal-Mart in Ruidoso Downs is about 5 minutes away from my qth as a kid. I can still remember being able to hear the race horse announcer from my back porch.

Good stuff to do there in the area and beautiful country, but kinda glad I don't live there anymore. Not much in the way of employment!

My family lived in that area for almost 100 years but they're all gone now.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
KG5UN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
Hey Ed:

Man I about fell out of my chair....That Wal-Mart in Ruidoso Downs is about 5 minutes away from my qth as a kid. I can still remember being able to hear the race horse announcer from my back porch.

Good stuff to do there in the area and beautiful country, but kinda glad I don't live there anymore. Not much in the way of employment!

My family lived in that area for almost 100 years but they're all gone now.
Well here we were. It was 105 degrees when we left Texas, 48 degrees when that picture was taken the next morning.
Awesome!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruidoso.jpg (43.5 KB, 34 views)
2012 Coachmen Freelander 32BH
KG5UN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
KF5BET

In another couple of months you could see snow there.... used to ride dirt bikes all over those mountains.

Hope you are/had a good time in LV
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

My Daughter used to say she missed snow when she lived in Vegas. We told her to look up the mountain. (Mt. Charleston)

She took us up there one day.. The main lot at the Inn was plowed but no parking spaces open so we went around to the overflow lot (Snow packed) at the rear and parked, The sleigh driver ask us "Are you sure you want to park here, there's snow you might get stuck" and sure enough, a woman in a Lincoln Navigator (4wd) was having issues... Daughter bought her car in Redford, MI. Tires in Jackson (Were purcased by her boyfriend who thinks like I do when it comes to tires) and learned to drive in S.E. Michigan... It was all we could do not to laugh in the guy's face.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
KF5BET

When I was a kid we couldn't wait for snow days in high school. We would throw a chain in the back of the truck and run around town seeing if we could get stuck.
Ruidoso is known for two things: Horse racing in summer and snow skiing in winter. People form west Texas would come up to Ruidoso for vacations. They really didn't know how to drive in snow. Needless to say the chain would come in very handy and we just had fun...

I've always told people here in LA that if it snows, I will not be coming to work or getting out on the roads. They look at me in disbelief and then I tell them that just because I grew up driving in the snow doesn't mean they did, and I will not be driving with everyone here who THINKS they can.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
Fill up with diesel before you start gambling. That way, you'll still be able to get home. Maybe.

Now that is good thinking Carl !!

Spending the night in Wal-Mart Parking Lots was mentioned. We've just started doing that type thing since getting the motor home. I was a little hesitant at first but I really enjoy staying in those places. Every Wal-Mart camp night is a new adventure. I enjoy people watching and that's a very good place to do it, especially in the middle of the night. All types of things happening in the parking lots at night. All the RV'ers and truckers tend to gang up at one end, so you feel a little more secure. When pulling in we would not even have to get out if it were not for the dawgs (the Boyz) having to do business. I found I have to unplug my electrical line from the motor home to the Jeep also or the battery on the Jeep will be drained the next morning. I've not figured out just why that is yet. Anyway, staying in the Wal-Marts campgrounds is a hoot.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
Now that is good thinking Carl !!

... Anyway, staying in the Wal-Marts campgrounds is a hoot.
Yeah, I stay in Wal-Marts a lot. No two the same.