Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 01-21-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
Richard Stouffer

Default The MFJ Syndrone

I was reading a post on the Flex-Radio reflector this morning where someone made a reference to something they had bought from MFJ and it reminded me that I had two items on back-order at MFJ. It also dawned on me that it seems like I always have something on back-order from MFJ. It made me wonder if MFJ has ever shipped anything the same day, or are they just saving the inventory so they can sell it a Dayton? ;-)
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I recall when MFJ was a local company. I suspect they are a bit more popular than they thought they would be and thus there is a "Flow" issue, however that said, they are flowing and growing. The Fact that HRO bundled an MFJ catalog with their annual mailing last fall I am sure added to the back log
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Richard Stouffer

In spite of my frustration with the waits, I always search for what I need there first. They do seem, however, to be about 30 years behind on their communications, especially their phone system.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
Radio
Administrator

I think Christmas wiped them out. I wanted a shortwave receiver kit for my nephew and they are backordered until mid-January. So I found one on e-Bay.

And the modern business model is to keep inventories to a minimum, and I suspect that has a bit to do with it.

The handiest things I have ever got from them are a voice contest keyer, several different kinds of clocks, a remote antenna switch, a power supply and some cheap but functional mag-mount VHF/UHF antennas. That's a lot of stuff, come to think of it.

This is the first time I couldn't get what I wanted, but then i usually buy in person at hamfests. Cheaper that way.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Richard Stouffer

I guess I'm just not very lucky. But then again, it makes going to hamfest a lot more fun, unless it's already on order at MFJ.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
jagco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stouffer View Post
It made me wonder if MFJ has ever shipped anything the same day
I was putting together an MFJ 1798 multiband vertical and realized it was missing a part. I called the customer service number, they referred me to the shop number, and the part shipped out the next day. That made me very happy with them. I realize the part shouldn't have been missing in the first place, but the customer service, after the fact, was great.
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
w6pea

Default Speaking of MFJ

About a month or so ago, ight be longer now.....Maybe as far back as Septmember
I sent an e-mail to MFJ and requested a new catalog. (I know it's online), and as of yesterday I never recieved one. And speaking of HRO and the fact they bundled an MFJ catalog with their own, I never got that also. Hmmmm?

Wonder if "She who must be Obeyed!" filed them in the recycling bin
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
N7OQ

I have had a love hate relationship with MFJ, they are slow and I'm not a waitful person. Even though waitful is not a real word it describes me very well. I have gotten better, I use to mail order something and it drove me crazy until I got it, now I can wait, but I still want to know when it ships and I track it until I get it in my hands. I will spend a little more to buy something from a company I know will ship it fast. I use to ship 2nd day but I now will use the cheaper or free ground.

I was going to order and new vertical called BigIR from Steppir until I found out they had a 4 month lead time so I'm now looking for something else. I did buy a MFJ-269 antenna analyzer after I had bought a MFJ-259 a few years back and it came missing several case screws. I called them and they said they would send them to me, well I never got them.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
w6pea

You think MFJ is bad

Try liberty Medical supply
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote