Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 01-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #21
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Tough bird indeed. Big, too, about 2/3 the size of a DC-3. Otters had basically the same engine as a T-6. T-6 usually was a P&W R-1340-AN1, while Otters had P&W R1340-S1H1G or S3H1-G. Different gearing, because Otters flew even slower than T-6s.

Twin otters, of course, had PT-6 engines, twice as many of them, and hardly seemed to be the same bird at all.

As I recall, the Otters at Airpark had been flown in to spend the night on the way somewhere, weren't well tied down, and all were damaged in a violent storm that night. Some were upside down next morning. I don't think any of them ever flew again.

Incidentally, Airpark's runway is 3080 feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Otter.jpg (34.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #22
W5DOK
Old Member

If memory serves me correctly, the Otter was originally patterned after the old Beaver. Just bigger with more horses. Later versions had a turbo engine to replace the radial 9's. Probably a PW PT6. And I promise you that if you're in a sick AT6, that runway is 1500 feet. Had a good friend that had a house out there with a brilliant yellow J3 in his garage/hangar.
Apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote