Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #21
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W6ZKH View Post
Congrat's Jim..... now you are a real "diddler", hi.... Olivia 16/500 is the most common, with 8/500 next and more and more are using 8/500. I also like to play with 8/250 too. On 40, you will find most of the non-PSK guys are at 7072 or above, and on 20, 14072-14075. Yes, most of us are running less than 30 watts for digital. I work the JA's and UA0's pretty much if I can hear them, even with my 50ohm load resistor antenna known as a G5RV, hi. Band has been open in the mornings to Asia here recently.

Just give me a shout when you'd like to try a QSO.

John
John, I appreciate the information. I had one freq for each band I had found on the internet. I didn't know about the other frequencies. If not too busy maybe some of us can get together over the weekend for a round table. I don't know what the weekend hold at the moment. I know I'll be gone today.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #22
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

The "One frequency on each band" is actually rather good. Most PSK will be within 5KC of that frequency (Either above or below, I forget which) but since 5KC is the pass band on DigiPan.... You just set your receiver to the pre-set given and.... Adjust the cursor on the waterfall display to pick up the signal you want.

Works great Digipan, by the way, can transmit on any one frequency (IT transmits audio, your SSB transmitter converts it to RF) and listen to several.. I've had up to 15 tracks on my display.. If I had a larger display I could have more tracks
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #23
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Works great Digipan, by the way, can transmit on any one frequency (IT transmits audio, your SSB transmitter converts it to RF) and listen to several.. I've had up to 15 tracks on my display.. If I had a larger display I could have more tracks
Yes, I've watched the multiple streams printing and how they look on the waterfall. Neat stuff. DigiPan is pretty simple. I've been looking at some of the others but have not picked one to set up yet. I'll set up another program that runs several modes.

We had been trying to get a SSB group together a couple of times. Maybe we can get a group together from ORR on PSK31. The way that stuff decodes weak signals, should be a breeze.

'Preeeeciate all the help guys. I'll have more questions I'm sure.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #24
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well.. The one I use for QSO is HamScope.. I"m not 100% sure why I choose it any more but some of the differences

1: It only does 2 QSO's and you manually set them often as not. but it supports either additional modes or additional modes via external programs (RTTY for example) giving me more flexibility in modes of operation.

2: It also supports the log program I use

So I often use Digipan for "Spotting" QSO's and then switch to Hamscope for the qso itself.

IN any case. they are both very nice programs. I hope to get a new laptop soon and get back on PSK This mini-tower is a tad big to fit in the ham shack in my motor home
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #25
TXiceman

A local ham builds the digital interface for a USB port...IsoCat...http://n5bia.com/info/n5bia.html and http://n5bia.com/docs/isocat_doc.pdf. I got mine ordered and should have it this week and maybe able to try some digital communication this weekend. I plan to move the FT897D from the truck into the house to give this a try. Got Ham Radio Delux down loaded and installed on the laptop I use in the shack. Got to get the radio linked up with the 'puter now.
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #26
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
A local ham builds the digital interface for a USB port...IsoCat...http://n5bia.com/info/n5bia.html. I got mine ordered and should have it this week and maybe able to try some digital communication this weekend. I plan to move the FT897D from the truck into the house to give this a try. Got Ham Radio Delux down loaded and installed on the laptop I use in the shack. Got to get the radio linked up with the 'puter now.
Great Ken... Let us know when your ready. Ham Radio Delux appears to be an awesome program. I've looked at it. More than I want to tackle at the moment. I've got several projects going at once and behind on all of them. Looked at N5BIA web site, nice site, I like his layout.