Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Fairground RV campsites

Does anyone know of a directory or website that lists county and state fairground RV sites? I am looking at them as a possible overnight stopping place that is easy to get in and out of. In checking the web I noticesdthat there is a lot of them in Oregon but I don't intend to be going there anytime in the future. Here in Georgia I know that the state fairground in Perry has RV parking sites and requires a reservation. They do have a lot of activities going on there so it is a well used fairground. Also, here in Cobb county at the fairground in Jim Miller Park there are full hookups at a very reasonable cost. No pull through sites but large enough for just about any length RV. They don't advertise the availability but I have noticed a number of people have stayed there. From what I have read you don't need a reservation and just pull in and park and they will come by or you can go to the gate when you are ready to pay. I know it is less that $20/night.
Fairgrounds certainly aren't resort atmosphere but usually have some full hookups and the county fairgrounds are used less that state fairgrounds. Many have activity on weekends that may or may not be a bother and certainly you would want to avoid them during the annual fair weeks (unless you want to be there for that). So, what are your thoughts about fairgrounds. I know that Forest River (FROG) recently had their 3rd annual International Rally at the county fairgrounds in Goshen, IN and there was in excess 450 RVs there. Not every RV site had full hookups, I think it was less than 200 full hookups but for that event they had pumpouts for those what needed it. Which for everyones information, Forest River repaired MH's, 5th Wheels, and TT's for free even those that were 4 and 5 years old, you had to have a prior appointment for that but it certainly cemented the repeat customer base.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
N3LYT

Fryburg Maine over 6,000 water and electric sites and they are all full!
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:31 PM   #3
coupevillefish

We tried to stay at the Goshen Fairgrounds a year ago, not for FROG, but couldn't get in - - - the fair was on.

I've also noticed that a number of fairgrounds across the country have camping including our local one, I think. But I haven't found a simple way to find them. I use Allstays and I think they show as CP - county or city park.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
electricflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
Fryburg Maine over 6,000 water and electric sites and they are all full!
I checked the number of camp sites at the Fryeburg Fair and could not find anywhere where it said there was 6000 RV sites. The best I could find on 2 different web sites including the official web site and it stated there was 3000 parking spots. No mention of how many of the parking spots were set up for RV's but looking at the fairground layout map it looks like there may be 4-500 RV parking spots with some filled by concessioners.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
electricflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post
I've also noticed that a number of fairgrounds across the country have camping including our local one, I think. But I haven't found a simple way to find them. I use Allstays and I think they show as CP - county or city park.
I imagine that many of the fairgrounds want to be unadvertised to avoid becoming a RV park so probably the best way to find out is to contact the ones you are interested in to see what is available. I know that here in Cobb County they want to stay in the background for commercial RV parking but will welcome anyone that shows up. Allstays does show county parks and city parks but I didn't see any fairgrounds on the maps in the few states I checked. Some of the city parks may be great for overnighters or a couple days stay that in many cases not expensive. When I go to visit my DD there is a Harris County (TX) park that has full hookup sites (8) that is totally free for a 1 week max stay. Only about a mile from the small town with all the major business's to get food and anything else that may be needed. As I stated earlier, it seems that Oregon is looking to accommodate RVrs in the non peak time at the fairgrounds.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricflyer View Post
I checked the number of camp sites at the Fryeburg Fair and could not find anywhere where it said there was 6000 RV sites. The best I could find on 2 different web sites including the official web site and it stated there was 3000 parking spots. No mention of how many of the parking spots were set up for RV's but looking at the fairground layout map it looks like there may be 4-500 RV parking spots with some filled by concessioners.
They do not list it don't know why but insiders tell me there are 6000 + (one RV site said 3000 sites from several years back). not all are on the grounds some several hundred are across the street. I live 8 miles away and I can tell you during the fair it would be hard to get a dollar bill between the campers. Yes there are several large parking areas that I'm sure could hold over 3000 cars but no campers are parked there.. The property owners near the fair grounds park cars on their lawns for $5 and make enough money to pay their yearly property taxes.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
electricflyer

If you go to the official fair web site they have a map of all the buildings, display areas and both car, RV parking and tent camping. I did not find any numbers on the official web site but I found them on a couple other information web sites. I think the insiders would like it to be that many but for that amount of acreage and with all the buildings and exhibit areas there is no way 6000 RV's will fit. The fair grounds is presently 185 acres. I noticed they say don't plan on leaving the grounds with an vehicles between 6 and 8pm because it won't happen. The town supposedly has 3700+ residents so 3 or 4 times that number would be at the fairgrounds in full swing. There are photos of the RV parking area and yes they are very close together. There are separate spots for RV's with slides marked off, they are parked end to end not side by side. I noticed it is a very old fair get together, over 140 years. Just as a side note I looked at the rules and regulations. I never thought about it but people that exhibit livestock must have a 1M insurance policy for you don't get in. It wouldn't be good to have a little tike run over by a 1400# bull or get chomped by a sow with an attitude. Lots of other rules and checks to prevent cheating. I just can't imagine the hours of work put in to organize such an event. I'm sure the planning starts the day after the old fair is over. It's a shame that they need to have such rules for livestock judging but like any competition there will be someone that will do anything to win a ribbon or trophy, makes no difference if it Nascar or tiddley winks, someone will cheat. I knew the guy that invented the sled used for tractor pulls and he got caught some time back trying to cheat. There are ways to rig the sled. He had a truck equipment business in Flint, MI.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:36 PM   #8
N3LYT

I'll find out some more some time this week. We often walk the fair ground during the off season and there is enough space for 6000 campers just going from the marked numbers. The camping space out numbers the fair space by a good bit. The visitor count is more like 3 to 4 hundred thousand or 10 times the population. Route 113 (goes through my neighborhood) yesterday was backed up 8 miles only one of 3 routes. The campers are parked end to end and side by side in rows. The insiders don't care why would they inflate the numbers? They can't fit any more than they have space for. Frankly I don't think they need to have any more people than they all ready have there this might be a record year because of the warm clear weather. A friend of mine 10 years ago worked the fair he was a cop rode shotgun in an unmarked car taking entrance money to the bank $250,000 twice a day. You got to understand we are 3 hours from Boston. If you want to rig the sleds you miss mark the weight of the blocks this is not a riser it is just a sled loaded with concrete blocks. We are country folks up here we don't have fancy equipment no jet powered pulling tractors just old John Deer's.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #9
electricflyer

See if you can get a count on the water and electric posts. I think I read that one spigot is used for 2 campsites so they have to use a "Y" adapter. Take a count and double it. Oh, I saw a count on the International FROG (Forest River Owners Group) Rally in Goshen. It was at capacity with 740 RV's, I think around 200 FHU, another 400 or so water and electric and the rest boondockers.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
N3LYT

OK here is the skinny on Fryeburg Fair camping they don't want any one to know how many sites they have The bottom line they don't want the public to know just how much money they make that is why it is not publicized. Best guess around is 5500+ sites. There is no tent camping allowed only self contained every site has power and water some new sites have been created for double slide 3 axle 5th wheels. Another fact I found out was it is the second largest camping site on the East coast second only to Disneyland. This is a huge event unless less you have been there it is hard to fathom. Good Sam does a publicized event there and frankly you have to drive around the fair grounds just to find them. Our local camp ground has over a hundred sites and they were full 8 miles from the fair.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
ke0me

Amana Colonies RV Park, Amana, IA has 450 some sites. sites are full hookup but no cable, 30 Ft by 70 Ft, utilities at rear.
with passport America, it comes to a little over $18 per nite.

nice to keep in mind if heading out west on I-80

there are parts out here where campgrounds of any kind are very sparse.

now if I just had enough time to erect some antennas, nothing around the trailer for at least 100 feet in all directions.
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote