Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
KE5NWT

Default Plug for iRV2.com

I'm going to put a plug in for a great RV forum at iRV2.com. I've been a member there for years, and they are a great group of RVers with lots of helpful knowledge of RV stuff. It is family oriented and no namecalling or bashing is allowed. It is at www.irv2.com
I have mentioned this great Ham/Rv forum there, and several of their members who have amateur radios have joined here.
KE5NWT
Uvalde County, Texas
KE5NWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Default We don't mind

Unlike some of the more "anal" forums out there, we don't care if they get a plug. We serve a unique niche...and as best we can tell we are the only "ham radio and RVing on the same plate" forum out there...therefore, we have no competition!!

That and being fairly laid back and openminded...

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
KB5LJE

Woks for me and I have been looking around.

hmmmm Maybe I should join the site.

Thanks, Mike
KB5LJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
W6DCS

I might go have a peek. No name calling and bashing, does that mean they are civilized?
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
W6DCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well... Back in the good old days the best online service was Compuserve. Compuserve hosted HAMNET, which was the best online network for hams. There was also an excelent RV Forum on Compuserve. However things changed, Compuserve as we loved it no longer exists, though SOME of the forums are still there. (The host is no longer compuserve, it is Prospero and it's an AOL Web Property) many of the forums also jumped ship.

The RV forum went here http://www.rvforum.net

Which my software suggests is a Yahoo forum however it does not look like one Our host Tom runs a nice forum. Somewhat small but very friendly and if you need help we have about a thousand years of experience between us (if not more) and of course we like to rally in QZ every year if we can, alas, baring a miracle I won't be there next January. but I'm hoping to return in 2009
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
N7OQ

I checked out the iRV2.com forum and it looks like a very well maintained forum might have to join it too.

I also belong to a very nice forum called Outbackers.com, a very friendly forum that caters to Outback trailer owners but we have a good number of what we call SOB's "Some Other Brand" Some use to own Outbacks and have moved to other RV's and other just like our friendly family. We have a lot of rallies across the US and if this forum ever gets big enough who knows we might a have a rally or two also.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
TXiceman

VetteRacer and I are moderators over on iRV2.com. I have been there since about 2000. We try to run things on a n even keel and keep any problems to a real dull roar. The two fellows that own the forum are committed to keep a well run, family oriented site. The National conventions are family affairs. The next on is mid July at Perrin, TX,just west of Fort Worth.

We do allow posting of other informational sites, but do frown on putting a direct link to a competitors site. We do realize that not one site can fill all of the other members needs. We did put up a small discussion for the hams, but most of the folks there are not hams...so this is a good site to discuss the RV and ham mixture and problems unique to our way of travel and having fun.

73's
Ken

On of the members on iRV2 posted the link to this site.
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
Radio
Administrator

I think a banner exchage amongst sites that have a common interest would be a great idea and that's in our plans for the future. I have lurked around over on iRV2 and some others and they are well run friendly sites.

But I googled and searched for a forum that serves this niche, of mobile, outdoor going, camping/RVing ham radio operators...and didn't find one.

The purpose of our net and club forums is to get folks from all the RV radio clubs posting their anouncements and schedules here. And the RV Links forum is in fact for links to information pools, which includes forums like iRV2. So ya'll post away, that's what it's for.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
_L7

I have to agree that IRV2 is a great RV web site. No testerone flying on a daily basis like other sites.

I hope this site has as much success as IRV2. I think the potential for this site is great if we can get the word out.

Plus it will be a great way to introduce fellow RVers to the fun of amateur radio.
_L7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:48 AM   #10
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

The IRV2 forums I visit are kind of "SLOW" (As in we get more traffic here) less there is a "HOT" issue.

For example in the Workhorse Onwer's Club (An IRV2 forum) there was a rather lively discussion of a TSB that Alan put out. The short form of the TSB was: If the engine has been modified and then broke, document everything because if the modification broke it it's not under warranty"

Last time I looked that was over 20 pages of folks hollering including a couple who sell engine mods. Of course every warranty I've ever seen has said, basically.. "You break it, You fix it" The TSB was not news, it was a reminder. About 3 of us saw that.

Actually.. . It was rather funny
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
w6pea

I took a look at the site looks interesting enought to bookmark it.
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote