Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Talking Help! My computer is hosing up the internet!!

This is fun.

I'm at work and my cell phone rings. Some Indian guy in a call center (lots of people talking in the background) asks me if I am the owner of the number he has called.

"Yes"

"Sir, I'm calling from (garbled) to tell you your computer has been infected with a virus and is (garbled, something about spewing trash all over the internet) and you must log into our website so we can repair it remotely."

"That's terrible!"

"Yes, we have (lots of garbled stuff)...(for quite a while)

So I decide to play this guy..."I have 63 computers in my system. I will need the IP address to know where the problem is."

"For security reasons I can not divulge the IP address over the phone, you must log into our web site (garbled techo crap we all know is b*llsh!t.)"

"Well then, my computers are on 4 ISP's. Can you tell me which ISP is involved?"

"Again, sir, for security reasons, (blah blah, garbled crap about all my systems are at risk) and are currently creating world wide havoc and must be stopped right now."

So I get tired of this guy and his bad English and his script, which I admit seems to cover all the objections. So my final shot is "Listen (expletives not fit for ORR.net) me and my college buddies dropped out of Harvard back in the 70's, went to work for the Army on the DARPANET project, and then we built the internet. You want to know who invented the internet!?"

"Yes sir, but this virus..."

"ME, that's who." and then I hung up on him.

I bet his stupid script did not have an answer for that one.

I didn't really invent the internet. (But then my computer doesn't have a virus, either) But I sure as heck BUILT huge sections of it!!

I guess they used an Indian guy in a call center with bad English so it would seem more real, like HP or Dell customer support!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Great story Wade! That's why I like our caller ID.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
W5DOK
Old Member

Had a call recently from a guy that said he was from the FBI and that there was a problem with my bank account and he needed to verify my banking information. strung him along for about a half hour before I finally told him that the number had been traced and he could expect a knock on his door. He must have been in this country because he hung up instantly. POS scammers.
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Hey Wade, sounds like "HUGHES NET" tech support !
If it ani't on their script, they have to put you on hold till they can find an answer on another script .
I'm not crazy about "HUGHES NET" but it beats the heck out of "DSD" (damn slow dial-up) which is the only other option here in the "SWAMP".
Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
W5DOK
Old Member

John, If you get good cell reception in your area, look into Verizon Mi Fi. Fast internet and works everywhere I travel. One little card supports up to 5 devices and acts as a router. Super simple to set up and operate.(has to be for me to use it)
Doc
Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DOK View Post
John, If you get good cell reception in your area, look into Verizon Mi Fi. Fast internet and works everywhere I travel. One little card supports up to 5 devices and acts as a router. Super simple to set up and operate.(has to be for me to use it)
Doc
Doc,

I'm on Verizon and heard a little of this. I've seriously thought of dropping our home (hardline) phone and going totally with wireless. Most calls received on the home phone are politicians and sales pitches. Family and friends all use our cell phones. My ONLY problem with that is that my ISP requires me to have a telephone to keep my DSL connection. We use the internet a lot and like the DSL speed. Verizon ONLY has 3G speeds at my location. Am I going to be happy with Verizon wireless internet after having become so use to my DSL system?

Others also jump right in. I would love to hear other opinions.
Thank you.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
W5DOK
Old Member

Jim, When I went to Mi Fi, I was on very fast cable internet service. Verizon has a 30 day trial program that I took advantage of and decided that in most of the places I travel, I could easily live with the Mi Fi. I couldn't take my cable internet on the road with me, so it was a pretty easy decision for me. We also got rid of our land lines and use just cell. Have not missed them at all. We travel 6 - 8 months out of the year and the convenience of using a service like Mi Fi is great. If you're at a fixed location where you can get DSL, cable or other home based services, Mi Fi may not be the best solution for you. (notice I didn't mention Hughes Net, Wild Blue or the other satellite services as Mi Fi puts them in the dirt)
Doc
Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Hey DOC:
I am on my sons AT&T account and XYL is on daughters Verizon, AT&T SUX here in "THE SWAMP" but son is talking about switching around the first of the year when his contract is up, if he doe's I'll take a close look at the MiFi thing.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I would give him the IP address of my computer so he could infect it for me.

wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
One Country Boy

Doc,

Can you run several tests on you connection speed and tell me what your average download and upload speeds are? I know that is asking a lot but I'd appreciate it. Also Doc, is your Verizon service at 4G or 3G speed? The are that I live in has 3G ONLY at present. I like my internet, I use it an awful lot for e-mail and checking into a few forums such as ORR. I could handle it a little slower then my DSL speeds.

Oh !!! Also, what are your average monthly costs with Verizon for the 2 phones and MiFi, if I may be so bold as to ask ? Is the amount of date restricted ? Do you have limited time that you share on the phone with your second phone ? I guess I should be asking Verizon most of these questions. I currently spend $100 a month for landline phone service that includes DSL and no long distance fees. My Verizon monthly bill is about $150.00. My wife and I share 500 talk minutes a month and that includes texting and unlimited data. It's truely unlimited, because I'm on an old plan. I never have a problem on my Droid nor my XYL with her BlackBerry and internet connections.

Thanks Doc and I may try their 30 day trial for the heck of it.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DOK View Post
Jim, When I went to Mi Fi, I was on very fast cable internet service. Verizon has a 30 day trial program that I took advantage of and decided that in most of the places I travel, I could easily live with the Mi Fi. I couldn't take my cable internet on the road with me, so it was a pretty easy decision for me. We also got rid of our land lines and use just cell. Have not missed them at all. We travel 6 - 8 months out of the year and the convenience of using a service like Mi Fi is great. If you're at a fixed location where you can get DSL, cable or other home based services, Mi Fi may not be the best solution for you. (notice I didn't mention Hughes Net, Wild Blue or the other satellite services as Mi Fi puts them in the dirt)
Doc

Old 05-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I would give him the IP address of my computer so he could infect it for me.

That would be mean, but I like the way you think.

The only down side is he wouldn't know what to do with it.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote