Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
W5DOK
Old Member

Default Time to get moving

I've hung around South Texas as long as I can stand the heat and now it's time to get out of here and find some cooler climes. Temps have been near 100 every day for the past few weeks and that's just too hot for this old man. Must admit tho, it sure was nice during the winter and the fishing was great. I'll be pulling the antennas down, packing the motor home and heading for the sticks and bricks home Sunday, spend about a month getting everything in shape, and heading on to Colorado for the summer. Breaking the station down requires about 10 minutes. The Comet CHA 250B is mounted to the rear ladder on an extension pole and that only takes a few minutes to let down and put back in the box and the Icom is sitting on the work desk in front of the co-pilots seat and I just lay it on the bed when I'm on the road. Can't get no simpler than that.
Biggest pain in the butt is loading the Harley trike and the Nissan Frontier on the tow dolly and getting it hooked up behind the mh. Seems I can never get the tie down straps tight enough the first time and I have to stop every 20 or so miles for the first few hours and re-tighten everything.
If anyone is around South Fork, Co this summer, give a shout. I monitor 146.52 on 2m.

Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Yep, it's been close to 100 officially. and it was 106 in the parking lot at work one day this week. Here south of Atlanta, it was 75 this morning at 0500 when I left for work.

The stick house air conditioning man came out and got both systems running again. It was getting pretty rough here with the downstairs AC on the blink.

About the only escape we'll get this summer is a state park with a pool. Taking a long weekend in July. I asked Sweet Wife which park she wanted to go to and she says "One that's got a pool!!" so now we are mulling over which one that will be.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
WD8QBQ

Lightbulb

Wade, a real nice state park is Stone Mountain.

The "Haming" is exceptional there.

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Radio
Administrator

We were thinking High Falls. The park runs along a river, down in a valley. I think it tends to be a bit cooler there down in the hole. It has a pool and is one of my favorite places to photograph.

The only downside to the pool is that it is far away from the campground and is open for day use visitors, so it gets crowded.

We'll leave on a Thursday after work, take Friday and Monday off. Nice long weekend.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Sounds like a nice trip Wade. Cooler air does settle down in the valleys.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
KF5BET

Wednesday I had to run home at lunchtime. The temp in the truck said 101. When I got up this morning at 6:00am it was already 80. I am soooo ready for some rain. ALMOST too hot to go camping.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote