Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-17-2017, 05:56 AM   #1
BleederGuy

Default N1mjd

Hello to All,
My name is Beau N1MJD, aka BleederGuy. I have hemophilia. When I hiked the Appalachian Trail this was my trail name.
My wife is Ninon. And we travel with our seven Samoyeds.
We have a 2008 Damon Astoria DP.
We live in Croghan, NY FN23hx on our small hobby farm.
BleederGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #2
electricflyer

Welcome to ORR Beau. Pull up a chair and enjoy. This is a friendly forum with a bunch of nice guys, haven't noticed any gals here yet. I'm Marv, KT4W and live about 25 miles west of downtown Atlanta a little way out in the country. Wade is the administrator and should be checking in after Church today. He lives just south of Atlanta and Carl, in Tallahassee and John, on the road somewhere, are regulars also, I know I forgot some others but you will meet them also.

I see you are up in snow country so are your dogs used for sledding? We just had a sizeable snow fall, for Atlanta. I had about 11 inches at my house and it was a very wet snow and caused lots of tree damage, thus massive power outage. I was without power for 2 1/2 days, and my subdivision was one of the last to get power restored.

So, check in when you can and join the conversations. If you have questions be sure to ask.

Marv
KT4W
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
BleederGuy

Default N1mjd

Hello
Yes, we do dog sledding. Plus, snowshoeing and X-country skiing. We enjoy winter and the other 3 seasons.
We currently have 13" of very compressed(settled) snow on the ground. I do weather measurements for CoCoRaHS. A core of that snow melted to 1.85 inches of water. Anyone can volunteer for CoCoRaHS.
Yesterday morning it was -8F here. It was a hard morning to get out of bed. We had to because my wife is a semi-retired Episcopal Priest. It was a cold ride to church.
Beau N1MJD
Old 12-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
electricflyer

I'm glad you like winter because you certainly see a lot of it. It is beautiful to see a snow covered landscape but ugly when it starts to melt. I was born and raised on a farm in SW Iowa so I know winters and -25 degrees and until about 1994 lived in a northern climate. Worked in sales most of my life as a Regional Sales Manager and traveled nearly every state east of the Mississippi River. Over 4.5 million miles looking out the windshield. Spent to many nights (and days) trapped in truck stops when the Interstate Highways shut down. I remember one trip I made with a company companion to Syracuse to call on AGWAY (before they merged with Southern States) and the snow was about 1' deep on the highway. The semis pulling triple trailers were running 70mph in that stuff and when they went past me I was snow blinded. We made our sales call and just headed anywhere south from there until we got out of the snow.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
BleederGuy

Kyra and Ninon (YL) pulling home our Christmas Tree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171216_115101.jpg (45.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-22-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
N3LYT

We are in the foothills of the Presidentials on 80 acres in western Maine short trip to NH. and Mt Washington. If your in the area our club has 3 repeaters two in Conway NH and one on Mt Washington. Our VHF is 145.45 100 pl the UHF is 448.775 it is a DMR repeater and our MT Wash one is 448.225 88.5 pl give a call if your hiking! Present weather 15* calm winds, snow, about 8" so far today great base packed power. DE N3LYT.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
kj4oll

Hi Bleederguy!
The XYL and I, + daughter, were in Old Forge in August!
First long trip in the new RV.
Have been going there since the 1980's.
Old Forge is very crowded now in Summer, compared with the past.

I don't have a radio installed in the RV yet.
Have a YAESU 857D in a box, waiting for cool weather here to install in the RV.
Yesterday was in the 80's, but later it is supposed to drop down in to 70's where it is comfortable to work outside.
I try to do all outside projects in Jan-Feb, before it heats up here again.
Frank
kj4oll is offline   Reply With Quote