Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #11
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Well, the South is different. Remember the old puzzler:

A boy and girl grow up separately in Kentucky.
They meet in Tennessee.
They court in South Carolina.
They get engaged in Georgia.
They marry in Florida.
They live in Alabama.
They divorce in Mississippi.

After all that, are they still cousins?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #12
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
I'd be surprised to see a successful test of a person who, in his teens, is still in elementary school. Have the tests been dumbed down that much?
No, I'd not say they have "Dumbed down" the test. I took the test when I was a teen, and passed on the 1st try.

I've seen many who made me look like an "old Man" back when I was still a teen (not yet teens) but they too passed the test, at least Technician.

Something to think about.. When you are still in school your job is studying for, and taking, tests.. So this is.. Just one more test.. Back when I took it you had to know Morse code.. That's gone, but for Extra at least, They added rocket science.. I'm not kidding Genunie Rocket Science.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
N3LYT

We have a very active club thanks in most part to a good club president. Over the years 20+ I have been active in the club it ebbed a flowed but it's pretty strong now. One check in night is related to ARES the other is a general club check in. We use both of our repeaters (W1MWV) on Mt Cranmore (NH) and our other one on Mt Washington (NH) and as you might imagine that's a wide area repeater. I don't think there was ever a night we did not get at least 10. Our youngest member is an 11 year old tech the oldest I believe is 91.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:57 PM   #14
ke0me

When we lived in Kansas, they had drivers licenses for 14 year olds, was supposed to be for home to school due to all the rural areas (90% of Kansas)

However, we saw way too many kids killed in stupid accidents in the urban areas, just not mature enough and careless.

In 2010 they changed the rules to be more restrictive and identify differences between urban and rural areas.
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #15
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Re The FCC.. More hams means more operators that can be called upon when "Stuff" happens. and being a professional "Stuff" handler,, both in the literal and figurative sense, (Emergency dispatcher/9-1-1 operator in one of those senses) I can tell you "Stuff Happens".. Now our department did not call out the hams when it happened, but a ham (two actually) fixed it. One in part, one the rest of the way.. I know. I was the "in part" one.

(I was "on scene" when it happened, the "Fully" was 2 hours away and asleep).

More hams = More emergency folks.

As for the "more work" not so much.. Next year I will log into the ULS, check a few boxes, and BAM, my license will renew.. Only one human will be involved in that transaction (me) no work at all for the FCC.. Same when you renew.. If you do it by comptuer. NO HUMAN involved.. save for you... Wham.. So how much more work is it, We self police for the most part. Reporting violators to the FCC with, usually, enough evidence that like 1 man hour is all they need to prosecute.. We make it easy.

Now Commercial Radio.. That's a whole big barrel of worms.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote