Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT
Default New Base/Mobile for RV/QTH?

I am expecting year-end performance bonuses and tax returns soon, and I need to upgrade my operating station in the motorhome/QTH. I currently have only an IC-28A 25 watt mid 80s model mobile vhf radio. I also have a an FT-7800 uhf/vhf with the vhf receiver side toasted. So I have been shopping for a new dual band radio.

After quite a bit of shopping, I decided if I was going to spend some money, I might as well find an all-mode all-band HF/VHF/UHF rig that will meet my needs. I am really liking the IC-7000. My wife and I are really liking Icom products for their durability and intuitave ease of use. I also carry an Icom T-7H handy-talkie, and we have an Icom 208 in the toad/stormchase vehicle.

I have read all of the reviews of the IC 7000, and I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts that maybe I hadn't considered.

Ain't it purdy!!!???

Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
K4AC

The Kenwood TS-2000 is worthy of consideration. While it is larger and several hundred dollars more, it has some great features. It covers 160m-70cm, multi-mode, like the 7000.

What makes it unique is that it has a separate VHF/UHF FM radio built in. This allows for operating HF on the main radio and VHF/UHF FM on the secondary at the same time.

Another great feature, especially in an RV, is that you can add a remote control head to the radio (RC-2000); this allows for operating the radio from both the location it is installed and the driver's seat.

I regularly see used TS-2000's going for around $1,100 and sometimes as low as $1,000.

I've had one installed in my pickup, along with a RC-2000, for about 3 or 4 years. It's nice to have a single radio that provides the ability to operate HF and VHF at the same time. I also have three more, including a TS-2000X (includes 1.2 GHz) installed in my shack for VHF/UHF contesting.

Doug
K4AC
K4AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4AC View Post
The Kenwood TS-2000 is worthy of consideration...It covers 160m-70cm, multi-mode, like the 7000...What makes it unique is that it has a separate VHF/UHF FM radio built in. This allows for operating HF on the main radio and VHF/UHF FM on the secondary at the same time...Doug K4AC
Thanks for your comments Doug! I checked out the Kenwood TS-2000 and I agree it is an awesome radio. The transporter feature allowing it to be operated remotely with an HT is especially cool. But since I am partial to Icom, I checked to see if Icom had anything comparable and I found the IC-9100 (not released for sale yet).

Quote:
The IC-9100 has two independent receivers in one radio and receives two different bands simultaneously (80m/40m, 40m/440, 440/144, etc). In addition, the main and sub-band audio can be controlled with independent volume and squelch knobs, and received audio can be heard separately when external speakers are connected.

It is certainly not as pretty as the IC-7000, but I really like the features! Also, IC-9100 does 100 watts HF/VHF & 75 watts UHF, where the Kenwood is only 50 watts UHF--not a big difference but I enjoy being able to hit distant UHF repeaters. The extra power and a directional antenna on UHF would do the trick. Thanks for getting me to look at other options Doug.
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
K4AC

The only thing to be aware of with the 9100 is that it is a full size radio (by today's standards...), not a "mobile" size like the 7000 or the TS-2000's RC-2000 remote control head. I'm not aware of a planned remote control head for the 9100.

Depending on what you plan to do with the radio and where you plan to operate it from, that may or may not be an issue to consider.

Doug
K4AC
Old 12-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
K4AC

I did a little googling and found the price for the new IC-9100 Icom radio is supposed to be in the $3,500+/- range- hope that's a BIG bonus you're getting!

Doug
K4AC
Old 12-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Chris: If I didn't already have a FT-857 (and love it) I would think about the IC-7000 also.
You might want to check out the FT-857 , is a very good lil radio.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4AC View Post
I did a little googling and found the price for the new IC-9100 Icom radio is supposed to be in the $3,500+/- range- hope that's a BIG bonus you're getting!

Doug
K4AC
Um...yeah...I also found the $3500 price tag after I posted...too bad.

As far as the bonus goes: X/Taxes=IC7000 violin

Tags
hf/vhf/uhf, ic-7000, new radio