Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default New TT

Brought home a new Palomino Puma 25RS yesterday. Someone on another thread didn't know who owned Palomino so FYI it is owned by Forest River but is kept separate. Anyway the XYL was looking through it again last night and said where are you going to put your radio? I said on the dinette table but she said no that is where the 32" TV will sit temporarily and I don't want to hear you talking when I am watching TV. So my choices are in the bedroom, in the bathroom or out under the awning. I prefer the outside anyway, weather permitting. We will do our driveway camping in the next week or so. I want to wait until the chances of a freeze are over. Spring will be here in another week so we have that to look forward to.

I pulls very well and doesn't seem to tax the truck. I don't think another 500 to 700# of weight will make much difference. I don't like to travel the interstates with it. I like to relax and see the countryside. The last trip I made 2 years ago only about 10% interstate travel and that was from Georgia out through Kansas, Colorado and Utah and back through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Louisiana but that was not with a TT, motels instead.
Southern Utah is beautiful and another great part of that trip was a flight in a 1940 Waco biplane owned by Steve Mathis, W0JOV, and when I talked to him on the radio he said if I ever got out to Montrose, CO he would give me a ride. I said no problem my nephew lives there, see you next year. First time in an open cockpit plane, GREAT.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricflyer View Post
... said where are you going to put your radio? I said on the dinette table but she said no

... a 1940 Waco biplane owned by Steve Mathis, W0JOV, and when I talked to him on the radio he said if I ever got out to Montrose, CO he would give me a ride ... First time in an open cockpit plane, GREAT.
Glad to know all your decisions are made by mutual agreement after fair and equal discussion.

Open biplanes are wonderful fun to fly. A friend, George Read, built and owned a Breezy biplane, unique as far as I know. There are other Breezys, but George's was the only one that was a biplane. In a Breezy, you sit out in front of everything and get bugs in your teeth and up your sleeves and pantlegs. Very easy to fly, and it had only one speed. 50 mph climbing, 50 mph straight and level, 50 mph descending, 50 mph with full power and the nose pointed straight down.

Other open-cockpit planes I've flown were fun too (Pietenpols mostly), but the Breezy was in a class by itself.

George was famous, by the way, for two things:

(1) Buzzing the campground in the Breezy at Sun-N-Fun, with several hundred FAA inspectors watching -- got him a 180-day license suspension; and

(2) Putting not one, but two Pietenpols in the branches of trees. No injuries either time, but the planes needed some repairs after they were got down.

Quite a character, George Read. But he could fly anything, or even the box it came in. And he made me a much better tailwheel pilot after I bought my old Commonwealth/Rearwin Skyranger.

Ah, memories ...

Sorry to go off-topic on you, but that's how we septuagenarians are, especially septuagenarian pilots. Sounds like your new rig will be a lot of fun and serve you well.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #3
Radio
Administrator

Pictures! We want pictures!!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
electricflyer

Default Photos

Front and Rear - One of my requirement was to have 2 doors. A guy told me many years ago that if you have a girl friend that lives in a trailer make sure it has 2 doors. I like the large rear window with plenty of ventilation. Also wanted the power awning and large grab bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001.jpg (104.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1010008.jpg (70.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
electricflyer

Default More Photos

Another requirement was a stove top with an oven. Also all LED inside lighting and ducted AC and heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010002.jpg (64.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg P1010007.jpg (72.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
electricflyer

Default More yet

My XYL's requirement was wardrobe space. This one has a large wardrobe that is 32"w x 82"h x 22"d. Also have shirt wardrobes on each side of the queen size bed. Nice bedside tables and you don't have your face against a wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010004.jpg (29.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg P1010005.jpg (59.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
electricflyer

Default Last one.

AM/FM, CD/DVD player with remote. Speakers over living room area and bedroom. The only thing I couldn't achieve was a stand alone shower. Almost impossible to get hit list. So we do have a tub/shower combo which we can live with. Also needed either a sofa or two chairs with the dinette. All this makes Mama happy which make me happy. Total sleeping capacity up to 6 people which is 4 more than I need.

Almost forgot, there is a LED lighting strip under the 18' awning, pretty neat.

Note the litter box. Took the kitties in for them to check it out. They were so nervous the were shaking all over. I think after staying with them overnight they are a little more relaxed but still pretty tense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010006.jpg (53.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1010003.jpg (84.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Gawdamottie, that's georgeous. But can it fly?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
Radio
Administrator

Tell tale signs of just now moving in. Congrats!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #10
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Ah, the best choice,,,, Might be "In the bedroom".

Years ago I went to the printer's to get some QSL cards made (remember those) (Today I use Avery Post cards and my photo printer).

Well. I was browsing his samples and came across a card (A proof card from an actual run) and noticed the name, Virgina Adama.. now I knew here, she was the wife of John Quincy Adams SR. (NO, I'm not THAT old, he was clearly named after the former President).

For 40 years Quince had had receivers along one wall of the bedroom, transmitters along an adjoining wall and the T/R switches... in the corner.. his major exercise was running from transmitter to receiver switching on the way.

And for 40 years Virginia had complained about it.

Finally Quince built a 2.5 car Garage and moved all his ham gear to a much neater (less exercise) station in the 0.5.. Put up a tower, underground conduit for the coax. the whole professinal style install....

Then he and Virgina went to an "Event" where Virginia won a door prize.

And she came home and got her license. So once again the bedroom had at least one wall of ham gear.. HERS (She'd get on the radio to call her husband to dinner).

Now the kicker... Virginal is hearing impaired, she can only hear a very narrow range of frequencies... Higher or lower she has trouble hearing.. She can pick a CW signal out of the mess better than anyone else in town. She made many contacts with stations where Quince, looking over her shoulder, could not even hear the station she was in QSO with over the noise.

So perhaps the bedroom is the best place for the radios.

Now.. In my case, this motor home is a bath and a half model.. Thus, when I'm sitting there in the "Radio Room" and the net control operator says "Go ahead _____ and stand by John and I get that sudden urge to be in a specific spot in the motor home.. Well.. that's where I'm already sitting so I don't miss my turn.

And if the signal stinks.. Just flush. (You can have a lot of fun with a station in the half bath).
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Me, I think the bed should be an incidental installation (of minor importance) in the radio room. Gotta keep our priorities straight.