Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 08-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
w6pea

Default Direct TV

My xyl and myself have been talking about getting Direct TV or Dish Network for in the RV. Anyway I called Direct TV today just to get some prices and compare their package with Dish Network. (We have had both) They seemed to want me to sign up right then and there. I thanked them for their time. This was about 1300 hrs. We sat down and had some lunch at about 1500 hrs. While we were eating our lunch the phone rings, our caller ID gave a number in Area Code 312, I have an Aunt that lives in a rest home in that area code even though I didn't recognize that number I answered it, (thinking it was about my Aunt -my Dad's only living sister) Any way it's some skank from Direct TV wanting to know WHY under no Uncertain Terms why I did not sign up for Direct TVnow here is the kicker I just got another call from them. I didn't answer the phone but they left a message, the thing that makes me mad is that the salesperson kept asking for a credit card number and my telephone number I did not give them my phone number but I know that even if you have your number blocked on out going calls it still shows up on any 800 number you call. I guess Direct TV must really be hurting, I do know that after their hard sale tactics I wouldn't even recommend Direct to my ex-wife. Sorry for the rant.
73 de w6pea
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
KF5BET

We are having the same thing happen to us at work with yellow book pages. So far the sales people have yelled (yes yelled) at 3 of us in the office and we only have 8 people total .

When I told the guy I was not authorized to make any decision, he started yelling at me...I tried to be nice and he started again....that's when I hung up on him.

I think they are hurting as well, but it is still is so unprofessional.
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Just tell him "Good by don't call back"

BY the way: I recommend DirecTV standard (NOT HD) for RV's. no matter what kind of antenna you have (Dish, Dome, Roof or ground mount) it will work with DirecTV Standard service, With other services you will be limited, The proper dish, (roof or ground mount) will work provided there are not trees or buildings in the way but domes.. All work with direcTV, Some work wish DISH-SD, and a few work with DISH-HD but with DISH, if you use a DVR to record, The domes can see only 1 or the 2(SD) or 3(HD) satellites at a time. So you will run into conflicts.. DirecTV SD only uses one bird.

Cost is about the same, by the time Dish gets done nickle and dimeing you.

Plus with HDTV, DIsh has an "Eastern" and "Western" arc, so you either won't do well in Maine or California (And surrounding states) (SD that's not so) With, Direc, the bird is more centerally located (101 degrees west) so that's not a problem
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
TXiceman

Get your numbers on the national no call list. Then when they call again, tell them....NO MORE CALLS....

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
KC1BUD

I used to have Direct here at the house. I got rid of them back in '99 because whenever I had a problem I would call Direct and they would say it wasn't them to call the company that did the billing Pegasus they would say that it wasn't their problem call the company that installed it. So after getting a couple of run a rounds with a couple of problems I made a fourth call to Dish. I have never looked back and never regreted it.

The only problem I have had with Dish is the people in India that answer the phone for Dish when you have a question. Even though they speak English, it is heavily accented, and they really don't understand the way we speak it here.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Get your numbers on the national no call list. Then when they call again, tell them....NO MORE CALLS....

Ken

Ken the problem with that is then you get calls that are prerecorded and auto dialed with no way to tell them.
I use the Do Not Call for all my phone numbers. As soon as it took affect the calls from charities, politicians, and surveys went up quite a bit. From hardly ever to almost twice a week.
Love to
Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
TXiceman

Dan, we seldom get calls for sales groups anymore. When we get the charity calls, we politely tell them to remove our name. If it happens again, we ask for a supervisor and tell them...NO MORE calls as our next will will be to report them.

The "Customer (DIS)Service " is really irritating. The people in India are hard to understand and just read from a script and generally have no idea of how to fix the problem.

A friend said she got really put out when trying to set an appointment at here Doctors office...turns out they outsourced the appointments to India...cheaper than a person in the office to handle appointments. She finally drove the 3 blocks to the office to make an appointment.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
One Country Boy

Quote:
A friend said she got really put out when trying to set an appointment at here Doctors office...turns out they outsourced the appointments to India...cheaper than a person in the office to handle appointments. She finally drove the 3 blocks to the office to make an appointment.

Ken
That's pitiful Ken. I guess more and more of these jobs are being outsourced.

We have a feature from our phone company that when you call our house, it says, "You have called a number that does not accept calls of solicitation. If you would like to proceed please press one." That has worked great for us. It screws up their automatic dialing system. But, would you believe one person actually dialed the #1 and proceeded as usual with their pitch ? Made me so mad, I just hung up.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
KC1BUD

It gets even worse than having your DR's apointments out sourced. I saw on TV that when you pull up to drive through in the Fast food resturants that the person you are talking to might not be in the building but at a call center. Even that call center could be in India.
Love to
Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
KC1BUD

Quote:
Dan, we seldom get calls for sales groups anymore. When we get the charity calls, we politely tell them to remove our name. If it happens again, we ask for a supervisor and tell them...NO MORE calls as our next will will be to report them.

The "Customer (DIS)Service " is really irritating. The people in India are hard to understand and just read from a script and generally have no idea of how to fix the problem.

Ken
One time when I called Dish with a problem I kept getting passed from one Indian to another and each of them in turn asked for my name etc. to verify that it really was me they were talking to. After the 8th time I refused to give my name I told the person They had already gotten my name. They told me we couldn't proceed without my name. What I said next had my wife rolling with laughter, I told them I had called about a problem and I wasn't setting up a play date for our kids. The 9th time was the charm and I got someone in Texas.
Love to
Old 08-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #11
w6pea

Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
My xyl and myself have been talking about getting Direct TV or Dish Network for in the RV. Anyway I called Direct TV today just to get some prices and compare their package with Dish Network. (We have had both) They seemed to want me to sign up right then and there. I thanked them for their time. This was about 1300 hrs. We sat down and had some lunch at about 1500 hrs. While we were eating our lunch the phone rings, our caller ID gave a number in Area Code 312, I have an Aunt that lives in a rest home in that area code even though I didn't recognize that number I answered it, (thinking it was about my Aunt -my Dad's only living sister) Any way it's some skank from Direct TV wanting to know WHY under no Uncertain Terms why I did not sign up for Direct TVnow here is the kicker I just got another call from them. I didn't answer the phone but they left a message, the thing that makes me mad is that the salesperson kept asking for a credit card number and my telephone number I did not give them my phone number but I know that even if you have your number blocked on out going calls it still shows up on any 800 number you call. I guess Direct TV must really be hurting, I do know that after their hard sale tactics I wouldn't even recommend Direct to my ex-wife. Sorry for the rant.
73 de w6pea
Thank you for all of the replies... but my post was not about bad customer service or having problems with reception....it was about some pushy skank from Direct TV calling and demanding to know why I did not sign up for service right then and there!! that was the original reason for my post..
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote