Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Last trip to Radio Shack (Maybe)

Very likely the last time I will ever go to a Radio Shack store, as they are weeks from closing the doors forever. There are some cool bargains left but only my geekiest friends would find them of interest. As the prices fall I may return to pick over whatever is left.

It was sad. The clerk that took the picture for me insisted that I smile. Imagine visiting a long lost friend and finding they had no memories of you. I remember them, but they have no recollection of me at all.

And that's why they are closing the doors. They forgot about all the people like me that made the place what it was. But we have discussed that already.
On a lighter note, I picked over the bones and came way with:

An AM/FM/WX table radio that has a clock, SAME, and a remote wireless senor for Temp and relative humidity for outdoors. It has an odd wall-wart power supply that delivers 9 volts AC to the radio so it's a bit impractical for RV use. I bought it for the house anyway. Reg $59 sale $43

I got a small media 2.1 speaker system with subwoofer, $17

2 each 50ft and 1 2 ft RG-58, both half off $10, $8

36 count AA batteries, $9. Consumer Reports rated Radio Shack batteries pretty good.

Some HDMI and other video cables about half off. And they have a bunch of gadgets for managing 12 vdc in the RV, car and directly off a car battery. One of the coolest is an adapter that pugs into a cigarette lighter and gives you a pair of 3 way binding posts (banana plugs) which means you can power just about anything!

Might go back later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radio shack.jpg (66.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0002.jpg (49.6 KB, 43 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Glad you finally made it there, Radio.

I will probably make one more trip to the R.S. component bins before they sadly fade away.

Yee olde junque box can never really be too full... Can it?

RIP RS.

Sad.

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I am hoping the nearest closing RS still has some goodies come WED, cause on WED (pay pay day, yes, that's pay twice) I'm going shopping!!!!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

I found out today the RS store in my hometown of Fayetteville will remain open. All other stores on the south side of Atlanta are closing. I was told by RS employees that any RS store in a large glitzy shopping mall would close. So the only surviving RS store I am aware of for 50 miles or so is only 5 minutes from work.

Who knows. Maybe they will come back in some new form.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
N3LYT

Stopped in the store in North Conway they are alive and well the guy told me there were 1,700 stores that they were closing nationwide and they were not one of them.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
Stopped in the store in North Conway they are alive and well the guy told me there were 1,700 stores that they were closing nationwide and they were not one of them.
Are they in an enclosed mall? My surviving store is in a strip center and has been there 30 years. Saw the prices on some of the stuff I bought... man, if you can find it there are some deals!

Old 02-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
Radio
Administrator

Stopped by a different RS today. Picked up a few more things.

4 pack C cell batteries, $2
150 watt inverter, 3 outlets, $15
8 outlet surge protector w/phone line protection and USB charger port, $16
No frills "Princess Phone" by AT&T, $5.10.

I got the little phone because all my other phones require wall wart power. When the power goes out... no phones! So now I have a backup plan.

Some other things I saw:

TV antenna rotators. Would work for VHF/UHF antennas.
Wide choice of WX SAME radios, still.
Accessories for Garmin GPS, phones, tablets. May still have some smaller Garmin GPS.
Also see a lot of 200-in-one electronics experiment/education kits. Someone should grab those up for a kid. I always was fascinated by those growing up and these new ones will teach digital theory too.

This particular store closes for good Feb. 27. Might stop in on the last day.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Are they in an enclosed mall? My surviving store is in a strip center and has been there 30 years. Saw the prices on some of the stuff I bought... man, if you can find it there are some deals!
They have moved a few times they are in a strip store. I'm guessing if the stores figures are good they will not close.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #9
Radio
Administrator

Yet another "final trip"

AND FINALLY after 50 years of wanting one... I have a "200+ Electronic Experiment Kit". There's probably some digital stuff in there I could use some review on. paid $15. Will likely loan it out to friends.

Got a bag full of antenna mounting hardware, stand offs, u clamps, screw hooks. They were 90% off. And a wooden frame bulletin board, about 4x5 ft. for $5. And it still has the store business license stapled to it! They won't be needing it.

May go back one last time for cell phone batteries at 90% off. When your batteries become unavailable then you have to buy a new phone. Not in the market since my "flip phone" doesn't tell anyone my location, and I like that. I figure 2 or 3 batteries will keep me talking 5 or 6 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg project kit.jpg (20.0 KB, 18 views)

Old 03-21-2015, 09:23 AM   #10
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I made the drive to a store on the list about 3.5 weeks ago (WED the 25th) And visited another store 8 days ago (Already closed,,but I was in the neighborhood)....and a non-closing store 7 days ago (needed 2 connectors...they did NOT have what I wanted but did have a 2nd choice)...(Worked too).

The result of that last trip... The connector they had I wanted: My Heil PR-781 now has a push to talk both in the radio room and in the computer area of this RV

The one where I had to make a "2nd choice" Digital modes now work 100% without playing "Plug it in half way" Games with the receive audio cable.

I fixed the plug (I wanted black plastic housing not metal since the transmit plug is metal)By slipping some heat shrink over the body and shrinking it down.

The trip on the 25th was around 400 dollars...Good stuff too.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote