Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 01-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Going to the 2014 Atlanta RV show.

Haven't been to this thing in years. But I think we'll be there this time. Besides it's just a few minutes away for us.

Back years ago there were several manufactures who had floorplans similar (some exactly) like the 5ver we eventually bought. Seeing them under one roof was pretty awesome and helped us make up our minds.

And of course crawling around in the $250,000 and up Class A stuff is always fun.

The show site itself is well secured, but this is not a good neighborhood. Good campgrounds are an hour away at least.

Like all RV shows there's stuff that makes you wonder "why is this here?" but it's all pretty interesting and gives it a country fair sort of atmosphere.

And eat before you go.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
electricflyer

I will be there also, on Friday. Saturday is busy for me as I assist in teaching a license class for General and it is the last session and we also give the license exam that Saturday. I was disappointed with the Good Sam Rally at the Atlanta Speedway last fall. 300 Class A motor coaches, 50 5'rs and 2 travel trailers. Got a bigger TV now and looking for a nice larger TT but not too large. Just 2 of us so I don't need a Bunk House. Maybe we can get a ShamWoW there.
Marv
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Now is that timing or what... I plan on being a few minutes out of Atlanta about that time.. No problem to reschedule so I can go on Sat.... And then visit the show.. provided funds pop.. And that's pay day too.

I am parked just over 2 hours from Atlanta (Bing says 104 miles) 3 parks in this area

1: Hartwick Lake State Park (South Carolina) take exit 1 off I-85 north to the park (it is on the left) about 15-20 a night (not sure actually, never paid full price due to senior discount) water, Dump station, 20-30-50 amp electric, NO wi-fi

Thousand Trails/Encore Carolina landing,, Take exit 4 and double back on the south service road past the non-Loves truck stop (Bubba's or Buddie's or something like that)

About 35-40 / night, Water, Sewer, Electric, 50 amps sites cost more, this message brought to you via park Wi-Fi. Hills are steep, and corners are tight but I park a 38 foot Class A here. Drive carefully.

Add another 20 minutes and you have Oconee County Parks & Rec. SOUTH COVE

Mix of 30 and 50 amp sites.. One LOVELY park... water-electric-dump station 12 or 15 a night (Rate increase approved but not yet in effect when I was there last week).

Temps in the area this week: Lows high 20's.. Highs 40s and 50s Class A compatible,
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricflyer View Post
Saturday is busy for me as I assist in teaching a license class for General and it is the last session and we also give the license exam that Saturday.

Marv
Who (what club) and where are you teaching? The Fayette County group is running a class and I was wondering if you were in on that.

The FARC group and Fayette ARES is the bunch I hang out with.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

When does the show occur?
Old 01-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Radio
Administrator

Dang it.

http://www.atlantarvshow.com/

It was my intention to put the link in the first post. All the info is there.

Jan 24, 25, 26. Same place as always, HWY 54 (Jonesboro RD) at I-285

Old 01-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
electricflyer

We are a combination of the Paulding ARC and the Kennehoochee Radio Club. We have been using the Powder Springs American Legion since the instructor, N1MN is a member there. We plan to do a class for Extra probably midyear and that will be a 8 week session. N1MN and myself have been doing this for about 3 years now. Just finished a Tech license class in November and some of those are now in the General license class.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Radio
Administrator

That's cool. We have a forum where you can announce club activities like your class. You might consider posting them there.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
Radio
Administrator

I think my plan is to sneak out of work a couple of hours early and go over to the show. The temps in the morning will be in the single digits, so the crowds might be light.

Hmmm, all alone with a bunch of hungry RV salesmen. Maybe I should keep a beacon on APRS. If it stops send in a team.

A team with no money. We don't need another victim.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #10
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Humm, THought it was just Sat/Sun, but if it starts on Friday... That works out better for me.. Need to make a run to Buford.. And that's half way to Atlanta from where I am currently parked.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #11
Radio
Administrator

Default a banana hammock and some soap

Well, I just got back from the Atlanta RV show. The place was pretty busy. There were 8 major Georgia dealers there. None of them hassled me. Mostly older folks, the families with kids will likely be out tomorrow.

I did purchase a banana hammock and some soap.

No really, Sweet Wife takes 10 pounds of fruit and such with us on every trip. Lot's of bananas. The "under cabinet fruit and produce hammock" will clear up some space on the counter. And the "RV wash and wax" will dress up the trailer a bit.

I'm glad I got into RV'ing when I did. Everything is so much more expensive now. And everything is really dolled up and overly fancy. Even 18 ft TT are way too "fancy" for my taste. What I saw was over-budget and over weight (at least for me, anyway) There wasn't anything there that made me want to part with my 2009 Rockwood 8280SS 5th wheel. I bragged when I bought it it would be the only camper I'd ever own and people laughed and said I'd trade it in 3 years. Still got it, still no plans to trade.

Remember I haven't been to an RV show in years.

All the interiors are much darker, all the upholstery is leather/vinyl and either black or brown. Perhaps if real sunlight had been coming in the windows I would have liked them better.

But on the other hand, the new exteriors are great! You don't see plain white campers any more. All the new colors hide dirt. And the RV makers have finally eliminated all the white trim and stuff on the outside of RVs that tend to blacken with mold. HURRAY!! It's all trimmed in black now and most of it looks really, really good.

I was hoping to see more of those weird vendors that sell all sorts of stuff. Not too many there. There were flashlights that double as tazers, a "steam iron" that doesn't get hot and the bedsheet lady.

Campgrounds and State Parks were there giving out brochures and raffling off nights in their parks. That took me back to pre-rv days, the idea of going to all these interesting places, planning trips I would someday take in the RV I would someday own. So I got about 5 pounds of paperwork from all these places.

There was a small selection of RV accessories and supplies. Only one dealer had set up a small store. I had hoped to find a new "next exit" book but did not see one. But I got the banana hammock and the RV wash & wax and that's all I really needed.

It was pretty good entertainment. And I got to meet "O'neill" from "O'neill Outside" and got an autographed picture! Wow!

Old 01-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
KF5BET

I still have a plastic bag full of brochures....from last year.

We usually go to the local RV show here in Lafayette. They have a pretty good show. The girls enjoy seeing all the new bunkhouse models. Maybe next year a new camper is in the cards. This year it's the house maintenance items.... (dang it!).
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
wa8yxm

Went yesterday, Wore my new T-Shirt (Vista Print, has a big picture of a microphone, my call, and Tag line are above the mic, and my name below it (Tag Home is where I park it).

One ham Introduced himself... Lots of RV's to look at.. Some of those Tiffin buses were .. NICE.. Lots of non-RV vendors,, Very few RV-related vendors,, Only one "Stuff" vendor very poorly supplied,, Did not find what I wanted.. Oh well.

Stopped in Buford on the way back to SC, and picked up some used ham Gear, The IC2-AT works rather well once I figured out how to make it do what I wanted.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
electricflyer

I ended up going on Sunday. XYL was under the weather and also her back went out again so I went solo. I went early since I didn't know what to expect for attendance. I watched all the exhibiters fill all the parking places near the entrance, Thanks Guys. I thought it was a good mix of RV's, most above my budget. Did any of you see the 5er that was $104,000. It was 13' 3" tall and would need a semi-tractor to pull it. I don't know what the length was but it had to be at least 40'. I didn't feel pounced on by any sales people which was good. With the RVs parked so close together it was difficult to remember where you were and what you already saw. The low ceiling also made it harder to know where you were to get you directions straight.
A good show for what I needed to know. I've exhibited all over the US for companies I worked for and I'll have to say I'll bet the move in and move out was a real PITA since just about everything had to be towed.