Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #21
Dizzy-Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD8QBQ View Post
Big news over here, finally sold the farm.

One step closer to full timing , well we will call it full timing probably part timing if you go by the book, still have a sticks vacation home that we will keep for awhile anyway.

This is all very exciting and now we have a definite time table to get down to business and "get moving" !

JIM
Jim,

Good luck on the full/part time RV living. What part of the USA is the vacaction home? Nice to keep a place for a permenant address.

73's and cogratulations,
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #22
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

CONGRATS to Jim.. Now.. I thing if I owned a farm and had an RV pad on it (And I'd have one) I'd have sold it but on condition that I still get to use the pad for up to so many nights a year.

As to the ice maker.. Well.. We use ice cube trays but the ice maker is far easier.. It's only real problem is it does not work without 120vac.. And that was easily fixed.

I should point out that if I wish to read an E-book, in bed (which I often do, there is a fair size library on this hard drive scattered between Kindle for PC, Sony Library Reader, PDF and RTF flies from Baen Free Library and other files) then the power supply that's in the bedroom needs 120vac too.. and it's the same circuit as the 'fridge.. so powering the ice maker.. powers the laptop.

I had hoped to run the fridge on 120vac on the road via inverter but that expierment did not turn out as well as I hoped Now it did work.. Just not as well as hoped.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #23
K3NOQ/Mobile

Location: Full Time RV'er, anywhere USA, usually Canyon Lake Tx in winter, SoPark Co. CO. in summer
Default yxm's refridge problem

What problem did you have with the refridge on 120 ac. I did the 120 vac trick and only had one small problem and a relay took care of it. Can I help?
73/ John K3NOQ/5 today

2K Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Icom 7000 w/ Lil' Tarheel, Comet B250,6 Mtr Squalo
4wd Chevy Tracker w/FT7800 & TS-60
Fulltimer-Ret'd 2-Way & Brdcst tech.
APCO - OFWA - SKP's - MSP
K3NOQ/Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #24
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Running the fridge off the inverter did work, Just not as well as I planned..
First you have to understand there are 3 12 volt systems in my house, Chassis (The truck part) House (the factory installed part) and Inverter (After market) and though I do have switches that let me use most any battery for most any job.

I'd forgot to parallel the house and inverter sets.

The fridge draws around 35-40 amps from the 12 volt batteries, plus the 10-12 amps of "parasitic" 120 volt things like DVR's and Sat Receivers and the in-motion antenna and such (note, I'm speaking of the 12 volt side of the inverter) and that is a major hunk of what the alternator can put out.

So I decided to run just the ice maker.. It takes only a push of a button to force the fridge to gas only
Old 03-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #25
WD8QBQ

Lightbulb

Dizzy Dick, we have a house at Chautauqua,NY.

John, no we will not be going back to the farm to visit. Whenever I move I go onward and never look back. There will be other farms to look at and visit.

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #26
KF5BET

Congrats on the sale Jim...

We had our local hamfest here last weekend and my two dd's won the foxhunt. We made a 2 meter directional antenna out of a tape measure and some pvc. They beat out a couple of guys. Had a good time but didn't spend too much!

youngest had a soccer game and the oldest had softball tryouts today. Spring is here!
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #27
wa8yxm

Speaking of "Going back to the farm"

I will admit.. I've driven past the farm I grew up on a time or two

But I did not stop
Old 04-12-2010, 05:21 AM   #28
WD8QBQ

Fine news on the Fox Hunt Galen, keep the DD's interest up in the hobby.

Things moving along smoothly here almost ready to hit the road. Many details to work out with/on the camper. Deciding what to take for living, is more difficult than what to take on a road trip, especially for the wife?

Pretty quiet around here, I guess everyone must be out having fun.

JIM
Old 04-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #29
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

With Spring here and the WX so nice, we've been working around the yard and such. The camp in NH is opening up on the 16th and we'll be driving up on the 21st. Gotta open up and get the park model ready for the season. This is the first year I didn't take down the dipole, so I hope it's ok. Glad for the nice WX! Ok folks let's get out there and get the units ready!
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:02 AM   #30
wa8yxm

Well.. I"m here Saint Alexander's (Actually I'm parked next to the convent) but I'll be moving later today.. Time to go to the regular campground. Been nice here though. Close when I go to church HI
Old 04-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #31
TOMWN

Send a message via AIM to TOMWN
Default Wd8csl

After spending the winter.. a cool one..we are back in Ohio. The Gulf Shore, Al area was much cooler then normal. Lots of rain too made it feel even worse. BUT! No snow to deal with and that was a plus. We hope to camp host in southern Ohio this summer near our daughter. Down side is state parks won't allow me to string my antenna in the trees. Tom WD8CSL
TOMWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #32
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMWN View Post
After spending the winter.. a cool one..we are back in Ohio. The Gulf Shore, Al area was much cooler then normal. Lots of rain too made it feel even worse. Tom WD8CSL
Where in Gulf Shores? We take our after Christmas break on Dauphin Island, right at the inlet to Mobile Bay. And it was Cold and Wet.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #33
wa8yxm

I"m back in S.E. Michigan for the summer.

Had a great winter in South Carolina and plan on doing that again next fall/winter. We came back to temps in the 80's. here in S.E. mich, and frost on the picnic table this morning.

Theme song over at the weather bureau seems to be: Did You Ever Have To Make UP Your Mind

Did you ever have to make up your mind
One day it's rain and the next sun shine
One day it is 80, then next it's snow time
Did you ever have to make up your mind.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #34
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
My new job runs me ragged. Fine way to be to busy and tired to play on the 'pooter.
Hey Wade, Maybe you should refer to the computer to Puter as Pooter has a totally different meaning.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #35
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BUD View Post
Hey Wade, Maybe you should refer to the computer to Puter as Pooter has a totally different meaning.
No, actually it's exactly what I meant to say, the way I meant to say it.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #36
WD8QBQ

Lightbulb

Now in the final stages of moving out of the house to be on the road.

Not much time to be on the computer and no time for Ham Radio, "talking that is".

I changed my mind from going with a Yaesu FT 897 and went with an ICOM 7000, I hope I made the correct decision. Half way done with the install. I am using a Tar Heel on the roof with a power "tilter". Show and tell on completion.

There is a lot of stress associated with moving but it is getting less and less by the day!

Went to my 50th High School reunion last week and renewed many old acquaintances, very enjoyable. There was talk of having one every year starting next year and possibly a cruise? Sounds appealing at this time, time will tell.

Took the last horse to it's new home yesterday and have placed four of five cats in nice homes. We will keep one cat with us until it passes on.

We bought a toad on the internet and it is in Dallas,Tx so that will be the first destination, probably Sept.

JIM
Old 06-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #37
bikerman

Snow?? Whats snow,
bikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #38
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

I check the board regularly , don't see much activity and don't have a lot to talk about myself but if someone has a question and I have an answer I'll post it.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #39
KF5BET

Been very busy lately...but do lurk on here every other day or so. Been very hot here lately and we are getting some rain from Alex (first hurricane of the season) even though it is way down south of here. Hopefully the rain won't be too bad this weekend since we are headed out for a quick three day trip just north of us for the fourth.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote