Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-02-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Question Towing a Lincoln Towncar behind a Class A. Really???

So, with an RV purchase on next year's horizon and a big ole' Lincoln Towncar in my garage, what to do?

My wife is a bit disabled so the large Towncar is great for wheelchair and her "go-bag" as well as a mobile amateur radio installation. Plenty of room. It has a four body trunk ! (Hey, I was born in 'Jersey ).

I have worked in electronic sales for, well... forever, so a big car is also what I currently need to haul customers around... Until I retire.

I have heard of a "Remco Transmission Pump" that will let you tow a Towncar with four wheels flat on the ground, but I know little about them and wonder... how do I know if it fails 1/2 way through a trip? Yikes! Very expensive failure!!!

Also the Towncar is a heavy vehicle and that also makes me scratch my head a little... Although, some of the the RV rigs I see cruising up and down I-5 in central CA every day seem to say one heavy car should be OK. Surely not as heavy as the RV towing a trailer which is also towing a car... YIKES!

So, any advice here? Can the Towncar be safely towed and if so, any suggestions?

Thanks for pondering on this...

Bill - W7JZE
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:16 AM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

A town car would be pretty heavy for most RVs, even most of the largest ones.

I have read that the Renegade Ikon can tow up to 30,000 pounds; if so, a town car would be no problem. But the Ikon is unusual in many ways, including size and cost (about a million bucks).

Most RVs, even really big, expensive ones like Newell or Foretravel, would be at hazard of sudden loss of control in emergency with as much as 5000 pounds towed. Check the towing specs carefully before deciding, since death is so darned permanent.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well, if you get a DP as one person I know did, you can get a nice portable Garage (Also known as an enclosed trailer) and tow it that way... One thing you absolutly need to know.

Lincolns, at least modern ones, have a fancy suspension, there is a special procedure needed for towing, EVEN IF IT IS TOWED ON A FULL TRAILER.. (I believe the procedure involves opening trunk, flipping a switch and re-closing trunk but do not quote me on that without reading your manual or chatting with the service manager at your favorite dealer).

I know this cause I worked with some tow drivers for a bit. Even drove a tow truck (Empty) once (Returned it to the yard cause driver was temp-disabled)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post

I have read that the Renegade Ikon can tow up to 30,000 pounds; if so, a town car would be no problem. But the Ikon is unusual in many ways, including size and cost (about a million bucks).

Most RVs, even really big, expensive ones like Newell or Foretravel, would be at hazard of sudden loss of control in emergency with as much as 5000 pounds towed. Check the towing specs carefully before deciding, since death is so darned permanent.
Hi Carl,

Thank you very much for your input. Being a man of "moderate means" the Ikon, and other expensive RV options, can't be considered unless my lottery ticket hits .

The lessening, or loss, of control in an emergency is also a "grave"() concern for me.

Valuable input. Many thanks.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well, if you get a DP as one person I know did, you can get a nice portable Garage (Also known as an enclosed trailer) and tow it that way... One thing you absolutly need to know.

Lincolns, at least modern ones, have a fancy suspension, there is a special procedure needed for towing, EVEN IF IT IS TOWED ON A FULL TRAILER.. (I believe the procedure involves opening trunk, flipping a switch and re-closing trunk but do not quote me on that without reading your manual or chatting with the service manager at your favorite dealer).

I know this cause I worked with some tow drivers for a bit. Even drove a tow truck (Empty) once (Returned it to the yard cause driver was temp-disabled)
Hi John,

HMmmm... even more considerations, re: towing the Towncar.

I've got a dealer visit scheduled for the Towncar, end of May. I'll ask the maintenance manager there about that suspension switch. You are right about a switch being in the trunk. There is a big yellow "LOOK AT ME" handle on it. I seem to remember the AAA guy doing something with it when he changed a flat tire for me a few years ago.

Thank you both very much for your insight here.

Newbie guy is grateful .

Bill - W7JZE
Old 05-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
I once saw a diesel pusher towing an F150 4x4 SuperCab.

Not that I would recommend it, but the guy was doing it. And he passed me running "bobtail" in my F150. My speedometer said 65 mph.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:03 AM   #7
W5DOK
Old Member

Towing a large vehicle behind a class A diesel pusher is no big problem for the coach. The towed vehicle is another can of worms. A lot of folks tow Hummers, 3/4 trucks, race car trailers with car and all equipment, even 1 ton trucks behind their DP. I routinely tow a trailer that weighs in the area of 12K behind my Monaco. The Lincoln, on the other hand, requires special handling.
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
N3LYT

Another thing to think about is brakes a full size Lincoln probably is around the 2 1/2 ton mark.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DOK View Post
Towing a large vehicle behind a class A diesel pusher is no big problem for the coach.
True, you might never even know it's back there -- until you have to do the following two things simultaneously: (1) steer evasively, and (2) brake to slow down. The behavior suddeny changes. I have seen the result, twice. As a result, although my motor home is a class A diesel pusher, I ain't towing any large vehicles any time soon. My little Ranger pickup is about the limit.

In one case, a big Tiffin towing a big box trailer (perhaps with a car inside) jackknifed, slid across a narrow median, overturned, and was hit by a Suburban. That was about two years ago, on US 377 just north of Cresson, TX. I saw it (the result, not the crash) while a passenger in a small class B. It was impressive. I don't know what he was avoiding, perhaps something as small as a dog.

The other was a big Foretravel that was towing a Suburban, jackknifed, overturned, and slid off on its side onto the shoulder. I don't know what he was avoiding either.

WI5G, my old friend Bud Johnson, who lives in Cresson, was for a long time the service manager in a Foretravel dealership (in Garland, TX). I was visiting him there at the shop when I saw that second result. It was a very expensive repair job. He told me it's not uncommon, or not nearly uncommon enough anyway, because (as you -- sort of -- mention) many people pay no attention to the towing limitations of motor homes.

Moral: read the manual, and obey.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
W5DOK
Old Member

My point is that you have to know the limitations of yourself and your vehicle. You see far more 18 wheeler type commercial trucks overturned on the highways than RV's and those are professional operators. It's rare to see a wreck involving an RV. You mentioned Foretravel. I was at their facility in Nacadoches (wasn't aware of one elsewhere) and they had a wrecked coach in their shop,(Not a Foretravel) that was a victim of the infamous Goodyear GY670"s. The service manager said that far more RV's wreck due to blow outs than any other reason. They just react differently in that situation and the drivers may not have the expertise to handle a catastrophic tire failure. After all, in some states nothing is required to operate a 50K pound + motor home except a class c license with no medical exam. Some states, (Texas included) at least require the operator to pass a driving test to demonstrate their proficiency to operate the vehicle. If your vehicle towing capacity is 20K, then don't go over 20k. Also it doesn't do any good to have a vehicle rated at 50k if your tires capacity is only 40k. My gross is 47k with a towing capacity of 20k. I usually scale at about 58k.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:15 AM   #11
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Learning a lot here... Many thanks for all of the commentary !
Old 05-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #12
W5DOK
Old Member

Buy the RV that best suits your travel objectives and enjoy. I'm not full time, but I spend at least 8 months out of the year in my MH and love it. Summers in the cool country and winters on the coast. As for towing the Lincoln, a transmission pump will work. Never personally seen one fail. Assuming the Lincoln weighs 7k or less, towing it should be no real issue if it can be towed at all. If you're not comfortable driving a large vehicle, there a re a few training courses available in places like Lazy Daze in Florida. You still have a little time before you hit the road, so you can really prepare for your travel adventures.
Enjoy
Doc
Old 05-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #13
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DOK View Post
You see far more 18 wheeler type commercial trucks overturned on the highways than RV's and those are professional operators.
Yes of course, Doc. I have seen perhaps ten times as many jackknifed semis as RVs. But then I see perhaps a hundred times as many un-jackknifed semis as RVs daily, even in Florida during the tourist season.

But really we agree -- we're both merely saying that RVers, like everyone else, ought to know and abide by the limitations of their particular vehicles.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #14
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Most big Diesels have 10,000 pound hitches and may well have towing capacity that goes beyond that even. Towing a Lincoln or a big F-150 or even a 250, not a problem

When I worked as a roofer I drove an F-350 custom, 10,000 GVW option, Many Diesels can to that truck fully loaded... That's how much they can tow.

Which is why I suggested a portable garage (ENclosed auto trailer) if it had the towing capacity.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #15
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Most big Diesels have 10,000 pound hitches and may well have towing capacity that goes beyond that even.
Now, durn it, I'm going to have to dig out the owner manual again and see whether I'm underrating my 37-footer. Stand by ...

Well, lessee --

maximum GVWR = 23000 according to the Freightliner data sticker;

maximum GCWR = 26,660. This is impled, rather than stated, in the really lame Damon owner manual;

difference between the two = 3660; this is the trailer weight I can pull when the MH is maxed out by its own weight + fuel, passengers, fresh water, grey water, black water, propane, and the stuff I carry around. My little Ranger pickup will come close to that.

Some others, larger, will pull more. Some, even if larger, will pull less. Me, I'll stick with that Ranger as my maximum.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #16
wa8yxm

By The Way JZE.... I must say I like your Avatar.. I guess you are a resistor (Cause in that diagram that's the part that gets hot.

By the way did you know electric space heaters are a very rare device, They are 100% efficient. . Why is this? Well first.. that is what your Avatar is, an electric battery operated space heater,, but more importantly.. IN an electrical system, all losses are expressed as HEAT, and since HEAT is the desired product, thus losses are recovered.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #17
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
By the way did you know electric space heaters are a very rare device, They are 100% efficient.
100% efficient, yes. Rare? I see'em all the time.

Light bulbs, motors, TV sets -- as space heaters they're all 100% efficient. All of the energy they use turns to heat. In the case of light bulbs some of it goes out the window as light, before hitting something outside and heating it. But all of it eventually heats something.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #18
wa8yxm

On the other hand you see far more Semi Trucks than you do RV's so logially you'd see far More Semi Truck involved accidents. Statistics is a female canine don't you know, can be used to prove black is white if you want to.

I do agree you need to know how to control your trailer, no matter how big it is, That big Tiffin NN5I mentioned.. I wonder how fast it was going pre-Jackknife,, 55, 65, 75, 85.. I have seen several RVers who seen to have not gotten the memo.

What memo?

The RV lifestyle is not about getting there first, or (With one exception) Fastest, it is about getting there with a few stops along the way to smell the roses..

That one exception is the salt flats time trials... There EVERYTHING is about being fastest. But that is a closed course, and thus you are not going to hit any other vehicles.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #19
N3LYT

The tow rating is pretty exaggerated maybe to sell stuff. I have a Tacoma with the factory tow package it's max tow rating is 6,500# it's weight is around 5,300# now that's a prime example of the tail wagging the dog.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #20
W5DOK
Old Member

It's almost always never about whether or not the vehicle can tow it, but rather can it stop it. One ton dually pickups are used as hot shot trucks towing loads over 40k. Difference is that the trailers have brakes that will stop the trucks. Truly the tail wagging the dog. My trailer brakes can stop my 50k motor home.