Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
KF5BET

Good evening everyone:

We are as ready as we will ever be...so BRING IT ON !

Spent the day yesterday picking up all the stuff in the yard and securing it in the shed or the garage.

We are located south of I-10 and are about 25 miles north of the gulf. The good thing is a lot of that 25 miles is marsh land which will minimize the storm surge. We are about 15 feet above sea level here. Our neighborhood has never flooded and so we should be in good shape as we saw no flooding during Katrina, Rita or Lily.

Worked all day and stopped to fill up the truck with gas on the way home. Filling up turned into about an hour long adventure because all of the usual gas stations on the way home were completely out of gas. Finally found some, but had to wait my turn in line. Filled up the truck and a couple of gas cans. All is good.

We are in good shape with other supplies. We have plenty of water. The pool will suffice for cleaning and bathroom duties. We are on a well, so the generator can give us drinking and cooking water. Generator is tuned up and ready to be put to work on the freezer, fridge, lights and fans.

Did not board up the windows yet. I have all the plywood cut and in storage for such events. I will decide in the morning whether they need to be taken out of storage and installed (usually only takes me about 30 minutes to an hour).

So for all intense purposes, we are ready.

Will keep everyone informed as to our status as we are able. I am really hoping all we get is some rain and a little wind.

ISAAC
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #22
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Keep us posted, Galen. We care.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
One Country Boy

Wonder how Galen and Family are doing. The last post was night before last. I was watching the Weather Channel last night, looks as though he was right in the path and getting some bad wx. It still appears that way this morning.

Carl, you probably received more rain then we did. We had sun most of the day yesterday. Some light breezes and a few gusts. No rain to speak of. Overcast today but no rain. A gust from time-to-time.

Galen may be without power. The bad thing about Isaac is the longevity of it. I'll look over on Face Book to see if Galen has been there.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #24
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Looks like Isaac is about over Lafayette now (3 pm EST Wednesday), headed for Alexandria. Borderline strength now, and they've resumed calling it Tropical Storm Isaac. It'll be very windy and very rainy at Galen's house for a while.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #25
One Country Boy

Actually, the eye is about 25 - 35 miles to the east of Lafayette. I'll try to upload these three pics. These are from the radar out of Slidell, LA. They indicate the radar, wind velocity (in knots, to and from the dopplar radar) and the approximate accumulated rainfall. These are collected from my GRLevel3 software package. Taken today at approximately 2:55 PM CDT.

I don't know if the pics are large enough for you to read the values from the colors or not. There seems to still be some 70 knot winds to the N and S of the radar site.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Isaac winds 082912 1455.jpg (20.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Isaac rain 082912 1455.jpg (20.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Isaac 082912 1455.jpg (20.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #26
One Country Boy

The center of the circle is my QTH, about 2 miles north of the center of Wewahitchka, FL. The rings in the circle are 25 miles apart. The showers over our area are traveling south to north. The outer bands of Isaac can be seen to the west, over around the Mobile and Pensacola area. We have received more rain from Isaac then any other day, and that was hardly measurable.

Carl, you have scattered showers all around your area as well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Isaac rain 082912 1543.jpg (21.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Isaac rain 082912 1610.jpg (19.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #27
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
Carl, you have scattered showers all around your area as well.
Very scattered, a normal summer day. I put up a two-meter antenna today on a piece of pipe that I washed into the ground a couple days ago. Rohn gin pole attached to the pipe, and antenna attached to the gin pole. I seem to be in an RF hole here, though.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #28
KF5BET

Hey everyone;

We are doing fine. We are getting a lot of wind and rain but nothing too serious. Winds have been fairly steady around 30-40mph and we have probably received 3-4 inches so far. We have been VERY lucky so far (better than those to the east).

Lost the chimney cap and a few limbs in the backyard. Only lost power for about 15 minutes last night.

Did not board the windows and don't think it was needed.

We will still have a pretty rocky night tonight, but do not expect anything worse than what we had today.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. It is/was much appreciated.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #29
One Country Boy

Nice to see you on Galen. Glad to hear you and the family are OK. That is/was one slow moving storm. It can get pretty nerve racking riding some of those things out. The length of time it takes for the passing should be considered into the catagory.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #30
One Country Boy

This is the current radar out of Polk AFB. Photo taken 8-30-12 about 0718 CDT. Galen appears to be on the south edge of the eye. Sure has been moving very slowly. I'm sorry Wade, but I wish it would go up and stall on you guys a few days, then maybe the Army Corp of Engineers would give us good Florida and Alabama people some water down the river. I could have waterfront property again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Isaac 8-30-12 0718CDT.jpg (20.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #31
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5BET View Post
Did not board the windows and don't think it was needed.
If they've still got glass in them, you must be right. Really glad you got no worse than you describe; it was worrisome. Cheers!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #32
One Country Boy

I think we've received the last of our rains from Isaac as well. Hot and humid for a few days now.

Glad ya'll did so well Galen.