Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 07-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #21
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
When I tow the Jeep behind the MH, I took a magnetic sheet and got some self stick numbers and put my call and 146.52, then cut the sheet to size and placed it on the rear of the Jeep.
Dont have anything on the MH yet as I dont have a rig in it other than the HT.
If Im not mistaken the National 440 freq is 446.00
I believe that 432.10 could also be used.

I also apologize because after posting my reply, I saw the age of this post.
It's not a problem Donnie. These posts seldom die. I enjoy seeing some of them re-activated with new ideas. Thank you for your posts.

I believe you are correct on the UHF FM calling frequency. I used to work 440 a lot but have not in awhile. My son, N4XCI, had a 440 repeater several years back. We had a good time with it. He had it crossbanded to a 2 meter simplex frequency so hams without UHF capabilities could also use it. A close friend had a 2 meter repeater and they shared the same dualband antenna. We had a good time comparing signals and the characteristics of UHF Vs VHF.

~Jim~

Old 07-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #22
donnie

Send a message via MSN to donnie

Thanks Jim.
When we travel to Utah, Iv tried the freqs that I found on the Utah VHF Society webpage for the Intermountain Intertie.
Ill try it again when we're up there again later this month.
Still figuring a simple way to get the antenna mounted on the MH.

donnie

K7UTA
donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #23
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Many truckers do what is called a "Trip Lease" these trucks will usually have some Snaps on the door (Same as the kind of snap used to hold on snap on windshield covers on motor homes) and there is a pocket sign holder that snaps to them.. Many Truck Stops carry this kind of thing.

A 2nd option, one I hope to do some day, is a light up sign. (Currently monitoring ***.**) and if you are on 52. you turn it on

Note with a small PIC type computer to control it you could monitor multiple bands (I will when I'm fully set up) that would be neat.

I'm doing antenna work today, in-motion antennas

If MONEY is not an object (Oh man is it for me) you can get a small "Changable Message Sign" Such as the route sign on a city bus, Some of these are right impressive, Just remember that in many states flashing a message is not, an option (illegal) but a static display is. and the signs can do both.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #24
K3NOQ/Mobile

Location: Full Time RV'er, anywhere USA, usually Canyon Lake Tx in winter, SoPark Co. CO. in summer

I bought a toad recently, It had a Dealer AD plate on the front made of heavy plastic. I kept it after the Texas tags came in thinking I will flip it over and put callsign & "TRY 52" on it for the back of the MH. I think (hope!) hams will recognize the meaning. Check out your local dealers for a similar plate.

2K Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Icom 7000 w/ Lil' Tarheel, Comet B250,6 Mtr Squalo
4wd Chevy Tracker w/FT7800 & TS-60
Fulltimer-Ret'd 2-Way & Brdcst tech.
APCO - OFWA - SKP's - MSP
K3NOQ/Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #25
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

I guess I will pop in here and give my worth of nonsense advice.

I've probably had 8 different RV's in the past, and what I have done is just went to the boat shop or WalMart and got those 3-4 inch letters and stuck them on the back of the rig. I've had many QSO's from other hams who have passed me then gave a call on .52 simplex. It just seems to be the "channel of choice" for most guys who are traveling, in my opinion. I remember back afew years ago, we were coming thru Wyoming, and an England Trucker passed us, and we had a QSO for probably 100 miles before he outran my signal. And if you are traveling through a town, giving a call on .52 for info usually helps more than calling on a repeater. Alot of locals ignore others on repeaters except their clique buddies, whereas on simplex, they'll more than likely call you back, especially if asking for info. Again my worth.

Here is my present "signage" on my RV now:

John W6ZKH
2002 Dodge 3500 Diesel-Dually
2011 Forest River Wildcat 313 5th wheel
Icom IC-2800 Dual-bander in truck
Yaesu FT-1900R 2M Xcvr in RV
W6ZKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #26
One Country Boy

Very neat job there John. I think I will do something similar. I'm going to do something similarly with my cable routing as well. I see you have a ground attached to the screw on the bottom of the ladder. I picked up some copper lugs from the auto supply store yesterday to do some grounding using 1 inch and 1/2 inch copper tinned braid.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #27
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stouffer View Post
OK, thanks.

I'm wondering if that would be kosher- having lights on the back of the unit other that brake, taillights, etc.

Yes, provided they are static (not flashing, rotating, swinging back and forth, or such) A fixed sign, like on a city bus, is OK

At least in most states.. I can not speak for all.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #28
donnie

Send a message via MSN to donnie

What about making a sign and fasten it on the inside of the ladder, between the ladder and the MH?
I also saw a pic of someone that had his call similar to the above poster but did it on the refridg access door.

donnie

K7UTA
donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #29
wa8yxm

Re: Attaching to ladder...... If you belong to the FMCA, (If you don't give me a few minutes and I can look up the company) there is a plastics company that makes special "Ladder adapters" for the FMCA goose egg These will work just as well for a license plate type sign though you may need to drill a hole or two.... IN THE SIGN. no holes in your lovely rig

There I found it http://www.kileymold.com/ They make FMCA "plates" and holders and mounts, including one that is specifically designed to hold the FMCA goosegg to a ladder.

NOTE; the Goose egg mounts with two bolts or screws, one at each end, not with 4, like a license plate, so you will either need 2 mounting kits, an egg shaped sign, or drill two holes in the sign.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #30
KC1BUD

Figure out where the information comes out of the radio tuning circuit and goes to the display and send that information to a slave display. It would always display the frequency your on.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #31
wa8yxm

How about a surplus HT with crystals for 146.52 and charge it's batteries off your inverter

That way you are always monitoring that frequency.. (PS. that is how I do it)
Old 10-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #32
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

http://www.studio-lights.com/product...-air-light.htm

What about something like this in the back window? You could list the frequency with reflective mailbox lettering.
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #33
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I think we need a changeable message sign, like they have on City Bus buses. This would be part-fixed part changeable

Mine, for example, would say:

WA8YXM
146.52 MHz

The numbers would be changable so I could put in 52.525 or 440.xx or whatever

Actually the best option is a 2nd radio, if you have a hand held, leave it on 146.52 (since anyone close enough to read the sign can hit the hand held no problem, even inside the ride)

Magnetic signs may or may not stick around.
What is state law about lighted signs though? It is my understanding that Michigan will ticket you for anything other than lights factory installed.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #34
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Maybe you could have a plate made saying that you are "Monitoring 146.520" and hang it under the license plate using bolts and "THUMB NUTS" (wing nuts) .
Old 09-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #35
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Me, I have a plate with my callsign and have always attached it with velcro. Since the back of my Damon is fiberglas, magnets won't work.
NN5I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #36
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

Default This is what I did............

I've had sticker letters and all sorts of things on the back of mine, but this time I dont have to spend time taking them off if and when I sell them.... these are vinyl letters stuck onto a blank tire cover....cost me $65 total....sure more than just lettering, but it is unique, hi...
2002 Dodge 3500 Diesel-Dually
2011 Forest River Wildcat 313 5th wheel
Icom IC-2800 Dual-bander in truck
Yaesu FT-1900R 2M Xcvr in RV
W6ZKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:09 AM   #37
NT5CC

Why would you not monitor .52 underway except if actively using another frequency? Even if not I don't think it's much of an issue, at least not enough to merit a major effort to avoid. I have a "146.52" reflective decal from "Debbie Does Decals" and always monitor .52 mobile, never yet had a call prompted by it.
Anyway, I suspect that after a call or 2 a passerby would figure out you're not on freq.
NT5CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #38
N3LYT

I scan a number of freqs. there is no doubt I'm a ham with a tri band FM on one side a screwdriver on the other side of the truck but never hear a thing even with a call sign decal in the back window. We have radio gear on top of Mt Washington and can be heard in Canada with a hand held every time I'm up there I try 220 simplex and have never heard a thing.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #39
wa8yxm

Two suggestions:
First is basically a sign holder, This is a frame you drop a cardboard (NO not corrorgated paper but genuine cardboard, like 60 weight paper) sign into.. Laminate the sign.

Second an "Led Array" basically some large 7 segment lights.. (NOTE many ways this can be done.. and thanks for inspiring me to think of some) LED on it says 146.52, OFF it says ..888.88 (or nothign at all)

note, by use of the proper switch array you can "Dial in" other frequencies as well.

How to make.. Method one

I have a 5 meter strip of LED's next to me just now I got for as I recall 20 bucks. Might have been less. From Amazon. Cut into strips and solder on jumpers, Attach to a wood or metal back sheet (these are not waterproof) and cover with polyurethane varnish to water proof/seal. Then drop behind the glass.. NOTE; you need to "Simulate" the strips for the non-active segments (I think Fiberglass tape may work here, a couple layers).

Feed it power when needed.

Method 2: Glass front. "Mask" behind it (black painted wood or steel) with 146.52 cutout

Light (Single) behind that.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #40
wa8yxm

Lighting is regulated as to color and intensity.. But I do not think it would offend.

Another option is a CMS (Changable Message Sign) this is purely reflective not a light, In your case it would be simple Three Sided blocks (2 sided woudl work but 3 sided are easier) Turned one way they spell out 146.52, Turned out the other way all blank or just Ham Radio (2 lines) or even all 3 positions.. Think Concentration TV show game board.

Another version of this I have seen is a "Shutter board" basically a flat black panel with slots.. (It can also say Ham Radio on it) but there is a cardboard page behind it (Use poaster board) and when the thing is "activeated" this board slides in between the flat black backer and a class or plexiglass cover with an alternate message.. You see this kind of thing on Billboards all the time.