Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 08-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
TEM48

Default Power Connection HF

Looking to install a TS480SAT in my Class C. Would I be better off connect directly to the house battery or the truck battery or going thru the fuse block?

Also ideas on running the coax to the inside from the ladder. Two driver side slides, would like the powerand coax to enter the living room slide.
Thanks
TEM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

I don't do a lot of boondocking, so there's always AC power. I take a Astron M35 power supply. I have taken a small marine battery (that will run my Kenwood TS570 for days)

Both options take up some space and are heavy. Sort of. But I never have noise problems.

But to your two choices... I'd go with house batteries, direct.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #3
TEM48

Thanks
TEM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I'd go with house batteries, direct.
I concur.

If you run the house battery down, you can just start the engine and it will charge back up. (The alternator charges both batteries.)

If you run the truck battery down, you may be stuck needing a jump-start.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
N3LYT

House batteries. When I'm plugged in the charger will give me all the power needed and just batteries all I really need may not make 100 watts but close enough. If you are long winded you might tax the batteries but I have never had any issues.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
N9JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM48 View Post
Looking to install a TS480SAT in my Class C. Would I be better off connect directly to the house battery or the truck battery or going thru the fuse block?
Thanks
I have a Class B Motorhome. The radio is in a cabinet behind the driver's seat. In my vehicle the engine battery is right below the driver's feet. it was easiest (by far) and closest to run power from that battery rather than from my house batteries.

The radio head (Icom IC-7100) is on a little desk right behind the driver (when parked the front seats swivel around). The antennas are on the roof and their coax and control line enter thru a waterproof housing on the roof right into this cabinet.

Yes, I have to be careful not to discharge the battery but there is an interconnect which allows the house batteries to boost the engine battery for starting the engine. On board is solar, and a generator. And of course if I am at a campsite with power then no problem at all.

So for me, the engine battery was closest, easy to get power line to radio. I hear no noise from any component of the camper except the inverter and even that is pretty quiet and can easily be switched off.
Kevin N9JKP
N9JKP is offline   Reply With Quote