Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
W7PSK

Default Soap Box - NETS - Im really Peeved

and it was an RV net on 20 meters.

I was trying to have a qso with a sort of weak station be we were fine. We had not gotten all the info exchanged yet for the Triple Play Award. Suddenly a person about 1kc away starts calling for net stations and he was obliterating my contact. I tried every filter I had but he was still destroying it.

I politely called him and asked him to please qsy. He states he is Calling a net. I remind him that the NET does not own the frequency and must move if there is intereference. He then asks me where i was and I said Im in Seattle and i gave him my call again.

He said what RV do you have whats the Weather. I told him again that He was interfering with a QSO less than a KC away and to Please QSY

HE then says (and he is 20+ over mind you) Im sorry I cant hear you or understand and then stated calling the net again. I lost the station that I was trying to work.

It really Chaps my Hide these days that Nets feel that they control a frequency and cant move. Ive ran many a net and I have moved because someone was getting QRM from me with a QSO in progress.

Rant off.
W7PSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Ricky,
Next time you should note the frequency and time the net started, and 15 min. before start calling CQ on the frequency and see what happens. I don't usually condone this, but he should have asked you politely to QSY later and say he would stand by while you finished your QSO. These people who think they own a frequency peeve me off.
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I sometimes am NCS on a net... And the thing that galls me is when we start our pre-net.. (This is really two nets one leading into another, the Pre-net is a chaos round table style (just jump in anywhere and ID every 10 minutes)

Then we have a formal "Wait your turn net" following

Well we start the informal Pre-Net and it's just a few of us in roundtable type and suddenly,as you put it, 1KC away we hear people calling and chatting.. And when one of use uses his "RIT" to listen on 'em they are saying "Those folks look like they are not going to move any time soon" (2 hours normally)

WE WERE THERE FIRST!!!!!!!!!

And though the net does not "own the frequency" courtesy suggests that when you know a scheduled net is about to start you avoid that. But there is no legal requirement to do so.

However once the net starts.. Then, THEN they do, in fact "Own that frequency" till the net ends.

IN your case.. I'd have delayed the start of net.. Or invited you to join in the informal part.. For a triple play QSO.. I would even delay the formal net if I were NCS
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
N7OQ

I have also been exposed to this kind of rude behavior from nets, I have been in a QSO when a net controller comes on and tells us to QSY not please QSY but move now we are starting a net or they just pretend they can't hear you and just start the net. I find most nets to be very rude even when you try to check in and are not part of their click. If you listen to most the nets they almost never talk about the subject they represent like the RV net hardly ever talks about RVing or camping. I don't think you could ever know all the frequencies and times of all the nets and you should not have to, the frequencies are first come first serve so you can either wait or QSY and that goes for nets too.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
W7PSK

I dont know if you know him but it was Leon, W4YFZ on the FMC Net on 14.263 (I was on 262)
Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well.. I've only tried to check into the FMCA net one time.. From Pender NE

However where as the O/P was talking about a net telling a QSO in progress to move, or causing interference to it.

I'm covering the other side of the issue

In my case the net was in progress when a couple of good old boys decided to QSO right on top of us..

So it goes both ways folks, IT goes both ways

Courtesy says. if there is a QSO *OR* net in progress... MOVE

In fact.. The law says that too. You can file a formal complaint if you wish.

Exception: When an emergency net wished to use the same frequency we were using for our net. even though we were in progress at the time.. We moved. A quick poll of our net was taken and WE moved.. And stayed on the new frequency till the situtation (Hurricane) was resolved and that net secured.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
TXiceman

Last year during the Schoole Club Roundup, I heard a similiar exchange from some "operators" starting a net.

I had made contact with a school club in PA and was enjoying listening to the young operators work "his frequency". He was doing a great job and getting a fir number of contacts when about 10 minutes before the hour, a BIG staion booms in without waiting to be identified and tells him, he needs to move off frequency as they had theie net starting on the housr. The youngster tried to tell hinm thay they were working a contest and would be shutting down in about an hour.

The so called net controller, proceded to start calling the net early and told the people to kick on the amps and talk over the other station. I called him back and told him that that was not proper operating procedure and was told to mind my own business and I could join the net if I wanted. Told him I would not operate with such a bunch of rude operators. I was accused of being a frequency cop.

Next time, I will jot down the offending staion ID's and complain to the FCC. These kinds of operators hopefully do not represent may of the hams out there.

Another area of poor operator experience is responding to a DX station. Operators do not even wait for the station to call QRZ for the next contact. They just start calling over the sign off. Yes we would all like to make the DX contact, but we need to be polite.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I sometimes am NCS on a net... And the thing that galls me is when we start our pre-net.. (This is really two nets one leading into another, the Pre-net is a chaos round table style (just jump in anywhere and ID every 10 minutes)

Then we have a formal "Wait your turn net" following

Well we start the informal Pre-Net and it's just a few of us in roundtable type and suddenly,as you put it, 1KC away we hear people calling and chatting.. And when one of use uses his "RIT" to listen on 'em they are saying "Those folks look like they are not going to move any time soon" (2 hours normally)

WE WERE THERE FIRST!!!!!!!!!

And though the net does not "own the frequency" courtesy suggests that when you know a scheduled net is about to start you avoid that. But there is no legal requirement to do so.

However once the net starts.. Then, THEN they do, in fact "Own that frequency" till the net ends.

IN your case.. I'd have delayed the start of net.. Or invited you to join in the informal part.. For a triple play QSO.. I would even delay the formal net if I were NCS

Simply, Amen!

I think there is more than enough rude behavior on the bands, I have even seen it in some of the boards I read, there is absolutely no reason for it. All it serves to do is turn off those that are interested in becoming hams.

What ever happened to the mentoring or elmering? The old timers should be helping the new guys, not chastising them. According to everything I have read on the subjects of nets is that it is common curtesy to move 3 Khz and let the net have the frequency that it normally operates on.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
W7PSK

If Im in QSO already I should move ?????
Old 01-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
N7OQ

No you should not have to move, the net need to find another clear frequency and then should move. This would not be a problem if they didn't have the I own the frequency attitude and would use some curiosity and asked in a nice way, instead of demanding you to move then stomp all over you. I believe that 90% of the nets are useless waste of band space and just a bunch of good old boys. I have noticed a big change in the bands over the last 30 years, the rude, LID was a rare thing on the band but now it is just the opposite and 20 meters is the worst band out there. Seems things started to change when the FCC stopped giving the tests.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:27 AM   #11
wa8yxm

Well, as I said, We did move a net in progress for an emergency net. And next time that hurricane net forms..We will move again, Just two questions asked

1: When
2: is this far enough off

However yes, there are a lot of folks who act first and think .... Never And not just on the radio.. Some day when the weather is nice find a place where you can stand near a freeway and wait till a group of cars approach.. When the first car passes a land mark start counting seconds till the 2nd car gets there.

If the number is less than 2, then they are tailgating (some folks say 3) this is not only discourteous to the person you are crowding, it's DANGEROUS as well

I've spent many years watching traffic (part of my job) average time between cars... about one second.. And people wonder why , When stuff happens, their radiator leaks.

Where as I was raised to do occasionally show a kindness, like holding a door for someone, and I still do that.. Today's world is quite different from that, Today it's ME ME ME for many folks and to the blazes with anyone else.

John F Kennedy said "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"

Today it's all about "How much am I going to get in the next economic stimulus check"
Old 02-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
jagco

I still hold the door for people, and many hold it for me (as I walk with a cane).
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
wa8yxm

Of course then you get the dummy loads like the one we had today (That's a ham who's dummy load is on the wrong end of his rig)

Just throwing a carrier right on top of one of the nets I log into

Oh, he'd move a few hertz (over about a 1100 hertz range from zero beated to 1100 hertz below the net frequency) but I wonder if he knows just how good my notch filters are (Very evil grin)