Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #21
N7OQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
OK, you know how on "that other forum" people will fight about whose truck is best? Deisel vs Gas, Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge...and then the moderator has to get involved?

Well, we're just about to have our first throwdown about Icom vs Kenwood vs Yeasu...**drum roll please**

Yeah, my KENWOOD can take a lick like that!!

Huh That is nothing My Icom can handle a drop twice that high.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #22
KB5LJE

kenicomasu

ken = Kenwood
Icom = Icom
asu = yeasu

I have had them all over the years and can even throw in an Alinco there somewhere.
KB5LJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #23
N7OQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
got a 57.3% on the General test

not bad for not studying

the electrical parts I knew
Yep I knew you would not have a problem, the tests are a great way to check your progress and to bone up just before the test. So I guess in a week or two you will have to buy a radio and change the aintgotnon to gotunnow or something like that.

Just think of all the ways you can communicate, HF, VHF, UHF, Microwave, satellites to talk through, moon or meteorites to bounce off of, digital modes like packet, Amtor, PSK31, teletype, slow scan TV, fast scan TV to name a few. You can use APRS to keep track of where your friends are on a map. You can run 1500 watts or go QRP and run micro watts. Most of the digital modes only requires a radio and a computer with a sound card. There are so many ways to enjoy ham radio.

Good Luck and the test.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:38 AM   #24
Richard Stouffer

Default Which Test to Take

It sure sound like you are not going to have to work very hard to ace your test. That you did so well on your first practice test from the General pool is very encouraging. You could be ready in a week.

One thing I haven't seen anyone address in this threads is that you can not take only the general test and get the general ticket. You have to take the technician test first and pass it, then take the General test. Same thing with the Extra; you would have to first take and pass the tech and the general before you could take the extra. You can do that in the same session.

The only bummer is that you cannot exercise you privileges until you receive you ticket in the mail. It only takes a couple of weeks though.
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:12 AM   #25
aintgotnun
Admin. I guess..........

I was wondering about that........

so it is a progressive thing

tech...
general...
extra...

74.3% on the Tech this morning

A radio that is.

End jihad
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #26
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stouffer View Post
The only bummer is that you cannot exercise you privileges until you receive you ticket in the mail. It only takes a couple of weeks though.
Morning guys!

Not anymore, Richard. All you need to do is be aware of your call sign, either by looking it up on the FCC database, or the ARRL.org or QRZ.net database and you are good to go. Depending on how quickly your VEC team gets the paperwork turned in, it should take a week to 10 days, sometimes less.

The paper ticket will be in the mail in about 3 weeks.

You do have to take the tests in order, tech, then general, then extra. But if you pass the tech, you can go ahead and take the general at the same test session. At our test sessions our club offers, we encourage those who pass the tech to take the general too. About 1 in 10 will pass the general too with no further preparation. Most come very close.

Radio

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #27
KE5NWT

The cost is $14 for the test. Less that $300 will get you into a dual band radio like a Yaesu FT-7800 and a Comet dual band vehicle antenna. Take the practice tests on QRZ.com in sequential order (I think there are 12 tests of 50 questions) and you will be exposed to ALL the test questions. Take the practice test over and over and your score will climb. Look up a local test site on ARRL.com. Contact them (they are most likely an Amateur Radio Club) about their test dates. Most clubs meet once a month and tests can be given by their VE's (volunteer examiners) if they know you are coming. Three VE's have to be present at a test session. I made 100% on technician and then a couple of months later passed the general with only one wrong. You can miss about 13 questions and still pass.

After licensing, continue to interact with the club (maybe join) and they will be a big learning tool.
KE5NWT
Uvalde County, Texas
KE5NWT is offline   Reply With Quote