Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #21
ke0me

Default continued

oops

my touch tablet sometimes like to do its own thing.

as I was saying, I applied the slide gear lube, seems to help, still have a squeak but the shuddering when it comes in seems to be a lot less.

might get to the seal lube in a couple weeks when we are planted for a month in Florida.
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #22
jimmy

How does tapping the rails in the direction of the tight end help center the room? Wouldn't you tap toward the loose end to help center the slide out? Am I not thinking about this correctly? Thank you for any explanation.
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #23
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
How does tapping the rails in the direction of the tight end help center the room? Wouldn't you tap toward the loose end to help center the slide out? Am I not thinking about this correctly? Thank you for any explanation.
Maybe it's something like this. Tap the frame rails on the loose side (the right side in the drawing) to knock the rails slightly left, which tightens the loose side and loosens the tight side. The slide won't move because it's heavy, but the rails will move a little to the left and then spring back. When they spring back, they'll carry the slide with them, producing the desired effect. You're tapping the rails, not the slide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tempname.jpg (15.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #24
Jpatrickc

Quote:
I thought the same thing but he is correct that you tap the slide mechanism toward the tight end. You retighten the bolts then do the second slide mechanism the same way. I put a tape marker next to the mounting flange so I could be sure I moved them both the same amount. You will need to run the slide in and out then check if it has moved enough. I only moved the slide mechanism about .25 inches and ran the slide in and out each time because I didn't want to put excessive side force on the mechanism as it re-centered the slide.
Belleville, PA
Jpatrickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #25
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You were lucky to find someone that does not believe the general public are all borderline idiots.
How can anyone not believe this? Well, of course, it's not entirely true. The "borderline" part is false.

He was fortunate, not in finding someone who didn't believe that, but in finding someone who realized he was talking to someone who wasn't part of that particular general public.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #26
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
It does seem a bit counter-intuitive, doesn't it?

Imagine picking up the slide room and moving it "away" from the tighter end. The rest of the camper remains exactly where it was. Now the tight end is a bit looser, and the rails are now closer to what was the tight end of the slide room.

Does that help?

No? Well, trust me, I did it this way and it worked! One good experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #27
townhall1023

My problem is that one end of the slide is about a half inch lower than the other. I need to raise the front, any ideas?
townhall1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #28
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by townhall1023 View Post
My problem is that one end of the slide is about a half inch lower than the other. I need to raise the front, any ideas?
Firstly aboard...

Second, tell us about you RV, and is the slide crooked when it's in or out?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote