Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #11
N3LYT

Agreed but it would look silly in top of my camper. My 17 meter aluminum dipole on top of my 26' mast above my camper exceeds the camper by 8'! You are right people tend to get excited with DB and stress over perfect matches. I’ll leave that to microwave. The people that make the gas filled coax (looks like 1"1/2 heliax on a grand scale) are not too far from me here in Maine they also make the slot antennas for digital broadcast. A QRZ.com site for you to look at is W1IMD he is a good friend of mine and has a shack people would die for the longest element on his monster StepiR on top of the tower is 72'. We made a full 160 meter wire quad that is attached to his old AT&T long haul micro wave tower suspended up at about 260'. He is the channel master on 160.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #12
WinnySud

Hi..as per my knowledge radials are long wires placed on the surface of the ground, or slightly below, or a bit above. These provide, essentially, a reflective surface that is less lossy than the local dirt is. Think of them as shielding the dirt from your signal so it'll be reflected toward the horizon instead of being absorbed to heat the dirt and cook the worms. Most verticals will work much better with nice long radials of this kindor a good natural reflecting surface such as salt water. If you're on baked clay, you need radials.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:27 PM   #13
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Most folks forget this but two things apply here

First we speak of GROUND, but well. GROUNDING is a safety issue, has nothign to do with radiation exactly.. We also speak of "Radials" Now this, is the other half of an antenna. BUT THEN NEED NOT CONNECT TO GROUND!!!!!

Not all antennas need a ground.. For example the popular at low frequencies half wave center fed dipole does not need a ground.. nor does a 1/2 wave end fed.. They do, however, need an impedance matching system.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #14
N3LYT

Well I guess it's safe to say the mount is more of a capacitor than any thing.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:26 PM   #15
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
Well I guess it's safe to say the mount is more of a capacitor than any thing.
Safe enough, I guess. You can say almost anything with reasonable safety. For example, you could say "the mount is an emergency food source for visiting extraterrestrial beings" with equal safety and equal utility.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #16
N3LYT

True and people can also say they are safe in believing every thing they read. Xc=1/2πfC