Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
One Country Boy

Default Assistance needed locating a capacitor please.

Hey guys,

Christmas of 2007, my XYL bought me an upright 15 gal air compressor from Lowes. One of the made for Lowes, Task Force Brand. The little electric motor has probably not run one hour totally. The other day it popped the breaker and would not run after I reset it. The run/start capacitor is bad in it. Called all the numbers Lowes gave me and the "800" number on the side of the machine. All out of business. The cap is made in China. Wouldn't you know it. I've been looking at the manufacturing company on the internet and called a couple of distributors in the states, but guess what ? Out of business. Hard times everywhere.

Here's are the numbers on it or the ones that I can make out. I'll also include some photos. It's manufactured by Huizhong in China. It is their #CBB65. It's 120 uF +/- 5%. Although the motor operates on 120 volts AC it says rated for 2?? (can't make out the numbers. Probably 240. It also has a # E232158 next to the "US" symbol. It also has a symbol that I think is a stateside company, looks like a backwards "R", attached to a "U". Don't know if we can see that in the photo I took or not.

Anyway, if you find one or know of a distributor, please let me know. I checked locally today and none. I've been looking on the web but no luck yet. If I could find the same value, I really could do without the mounting bolt as long as it is about the same physical size.

Thanks for anything you can do.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap1w.jpg (76.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg cap2w.jpg (89.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg cap3w.jpg (44.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg cap4w.jpg (32.6 KB, 63 views)
Old 03-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Try this link Jim, hope it works for you.
Andy - n1ork

http://www.made-in-china.com/china-p...or-CBB65-.html

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
k8zfj

the UR says it's a UL safety approved part; any motor run cap, that meets same ratings as indicated on the part should work.

try this company too:
http://lcr-inc.com/motor-run-capacitors.html

altho they import everything from Asia, maybe they have one available in local stock.

I've referred some of my former customers to them with success
k8zfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

Try a walk-in appliance part dealer, that sells parts for washing machines, A/C units and that sort of thing. You might have to use duct tape and bailing wire to mount the new one, but I bet they'd have one that worked.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Try a walk-in appliance part dealer, that sells parts for washing machines, A/C units and that sort of thing. You might have to use duct tape and bailing wire to mount the new one, but I bet they'd have one that worked.
I did all that first. Checked with an AC & Heating friend, he checked his catalogs, nothing that had that much capacitance. I went to four different places in Panama City today. One that specializes in compressors and air tools, nothing big enough. An electric motor shop had a starting cap that covered that range but not a run cap. I'm told a starting capacitor would burn up quickly when used in a running capacity. I found 2 60 uF's. I was thinking of putting them in parallel, but the physical size was way too big.

Andy, I checked that "Made in China" place everyone I called had gone out-of-business. Randy's site looks promissing. I'll call them tomorrow. The problem is finding a start/run capacitor with that much capacitance. I don't care if it has the stud on it, I can haywire it to something for support like Wade says.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'll keep looking.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
KC1BUD

Jim,

Any rewind shops near you? A lot of those shops that rewind motors would carry them.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BUD View Post
Jim,

Any rewind shops near you? A lot of those shops that rewind motors would carry them.
I was at a rewind repair shop yesterday. I just knew they would have what I needed. They had a 120 mfd but it was a starting cap, not a run type cap. There's a difference I'm told.

Most all the run caps fall in about the 30 - 60 mfd range. Difficult to find with a 120 value. I'll keep looking though. The link K8ZFJ sent looks promising, have just not made the call yet. I sincerely appreciate all the suggestions and links. Just been busy with other stuff today.

Thanks again guys...

Old 03-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
w3zi

Hi Jim - Hope you are doing well. For what you are using it for the capacitor probably is a Start/Run type. Not sure what kind of circuit you have there on the compressor but for bigger motors there is typically a start capacitor that is switched on during a start up and it is switched out of the circuit through a relay or contactor and a run capacitor kind of takes over while the motor is running. I dont know what you were going to pay locally but chances are the one you found would work. If not, you take a look at Newark Electronics -- We deal with them all the time. I didnt read up on the specs, but this one might work also (Looks like its about $6.50 ....

http://www.newark.com/cornell-dubili...tor/dp/72K6669

Let me know how you get on with it
Mark
TS2000 / Yaesu 857D and a Tarheel Antenna
w3zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
One Country Boy

Thanks Mark, that one looks like it will work. It is a 120 mfd start/run capacitor.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I will support the others, An appliance store or even an electronics parts store

Fairly common part, exact match is NOT important so you can go off by as much as 20 percent. I'm not sure which way is the better way to go
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #11
N7OQ

We use lots of start and run caps I have never used a run cap that big what kind of motor needs that much capacitance? Are you sure it's 120uf and not 12.0 uf ? or it's a motor start cap and not a run cap.

I would think a air compressor would benefit from a starting cap trying to start against a tank of pressure.

Good luck
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
One Country Boy

Thanks Bill... I ordered one Friday that should work. Yes, it states on the label 120 uF (in one of the photographs). It's a run/start cap I'm told. That may be why Lowes no longer carries those compressors. If this one goes quickly I may have to try a different value. The cap going out so fast may be due to poor engineering. Lowes has certainly been of no help and the manufacture has gone out of business.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
One Country Boy

I was asked in a PM the other day if I had gotten my air compressor running. I realized I needed to close out this thread. The cap I ordered was not physically like the original, but values were the same. I replaced the original and strapped the new cap to the old with nylon wire ties and hooked it up. It worked like a champ. A few wire ties and a little duct tape will fix most anything. I appreciate the suggestions and help. I ordered the cap from Newark, the location Mark sent me. I had the cap in two days. Shipping and cap was under $10.00. I apprecite the help from ORR members.

I have to say also that Newark was a good business to work with. Prices and shipping very reasonable. Delivery as promised. If you have a problem as I did, they have a tech department that will assist you in cross referencing. I did not have to use the tech department but it was nice to know they had that option. Chalk one up for "made in the USA". BTW, they even included return mailing lable, etc. If the part had not been what I needed it was returnable. Good business to order from when electronics are needed.

Thanks all.

Jim

Old 03-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #14
Bob2190

Jim W4EWA - While this thread is a little old, can you tell me if you were successful with your haywire capacitor from Cornell Dubilier?? I have a Harbor Freight air compressor that has the same problem and you have already tried all the steps that I was going to try. You would save me a lot of time and effort if you were successful. Tks, 73, Bob WB6ODR, Prescott, AZ
Bob2190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #15
Bob2190

Jim, I see that I did not read ALL the thread. I'll order one today. Thanks... Bob WB6ODR
Bob2190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #16
N3LYT

Yeah a electric motor shop it is most likely a start/run cap. I'll look tomorrow I think I may have one from a compressor that had a bad motor.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #17
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

A generic motor start cap with the same Farad rating will do.. Need not be the same part number/manufacturer.. Most any electric supply or electric motor shop.

My compressor is a Crafstman...Odds are Sears has a part that will fit but you will play ..hard...Figuring out which one since they do not list 'em that way.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote