Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
One Country Boy

Default Passport America ?

Anyone use Passport America ? We received a one year FREE membership recently when we purchased the new Jayco 5'er. I just registered it yesterday. Half price camping at participating campgrounds. I think the regular price is about $50 /year. Is it anygood ? We're not full timers but do a lot of part timing and want to do more.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
K3NOQ/Mobile

Location: Full Time RV'er, anywhere USA, usually Canyon Lake Tx in winter, SoPark Co. CO. in summer
Default Passport America

We joined earlier this year, It is easy to get your $'s worth if you buy it. That said, in reality, there are a number of real dumpy campgrounds in Passport. They will apparently take any park that wants to join their program. On the other hand, there are some VERY NICE parks that use Passport for exposure and offer a first night half price rate hoping your visit will be longer. Read the book for the parks offerings and confirm any discount when you call. We have found parks that drastically change their discount once the book is published. // John K3NOQ/W3 near Ballamer Hon!

2K Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Icom 7000 w/ Lil' Tarheel, Comet B250,6 Mtr Squalo
4wd Chevy Tracker w/FT7800 & TS-60
Fulltimer-Ret'd 2-Way & Brdcst tech.
APCO - OFWA - SKP's - MSP
K3NOQ/Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
One Country Boy

Default Thanks

Thanks John and nice to meet you. You confirmed my thoughts. We're headed over to Sunset King Lake RV Resort Tuesday for a couple of weeks. I'm told this is a nice park. Speaking with one of the workcampers, when I made reservations, and looking at the website it looks nice with good ammenities. When I made reservations, I was told the PassPort rate was good for two nights only. That's a savings of about $30 at this park which I thought was great. If we were paying for the membership this year, I just saved over half the payment. Since I'm staying two weeks though I'm better off to use my Good Sams for a better overall rate.

Sunset King is about 100 miles from home. We're going over to assist my 83 year old mother-in-law with some things and to celebrate her birthday. She's only a few miles from the park. They have a nice freshwater lake with some Largemouth Bass I want to try as well.

Thanks again for the response. I apprecite it.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Clay L

We have used it for about four years now and have saved money with it each year.
We have stayed in a couple of dumpy parks but nothing we felt uncomfortable in.

In years past we have seen a lot of dumpy and worse parks that aren't PA members.

One in Pensacola was so bad we left before dawn because it was so ratty. Would have not even stayed the night but the owner would not give us a refund.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Dave

We've used P.A. for several years and feel it's well worth the price. In all the time we've used it, only seen one "rough" park, and even it wasn't too bad. I've even stayed in parks that asked me if I had P.A. even tho it wasn't on their ad.
Dave WB6TFH
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Boomer

We have been using PA for a couple of years. Paid for itself the first long trip out west and back. Stayed at many different PA campgrounds. All require you to identify yourself as a PA member when registering. Just like other memberships, some campgrounds are good and some not so good. Just came back from a long, long, long trip to Alaska. Stayed in a really nice campground in Sturgis, S.D. and a couple of other PA facilities that were almost as nice. It is a money saver! Steve
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #7
One Country Boy

Thanks folks. I appreciate it. I'll probably renew it next year. Looks as though it will pay for itself in just a few nights.

Thank you for the comments.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
k3mp

Send a message via AIM to k3mp

Been a memeber for 5 years now and have enjoyed some nice parks at reasonable prices...we don't look for much...give me a nice clean park with w/s/e and a pool and I am happy
Rig - Icom 706, Ant - Comet UHV-6, LDG Z-100 tuner
https://www.enter.net/~k3mp
k3mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
KD4AO

Been using PA for several years, it is worth the money. Some parks, especially in Florida only honor it off season though.
ICOM 706 MKII
KD4AO is offline   Reply With Quote