Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Olympian Stack Jacks by Camco/RV

As with most trailer type RV's, our Rockwood fifth wheel falls a bit short in the area of stabilization. If person of the first part gets up in the middle of the night, person of the second part will be bounced clean out of bed, especially if person of the first part is going to the fridge.

I was thinking about one of those tripod stabilizers. But they are large and expensive.

Behold, Olympian Stack Jacks by Camco/RV.

Small and lightweight. And best of all, cheap, $22.22 for two or $43.33 for four, on sale at Camping World. I got the set of two.

Pros:

See the picture below. As mentioned, they don't take up much space in the storage bay. I haven't weighed them but my hands say about 4 -5 pounds for the pair. No sharp edges. Has a built in handle to turn the threaded rod. The threaded rod is not made into the stand, the nut you see at the bottom of the rod sits in a hexagonal hole. This allows the rod to be removed for compact storage. Also, you can run the nut up and down the shaft with your fingers very quickly and get a coarse adjustment, set the rod in place, then fine tune with the handle. Made of aluminum and plated steel they will not rust. Adjusts from 11" to 17" (28 - 43 cm)

Cons:

They have to go under the trailer (duh?) and make contact with the frame so you have to get down on hands and knees to get them in place.

You'll need to put a wooded pad underneath to prevent them settling into the ground.

Effectiveness:

We haven't had them out camping yet, but we did do a quasi-scientific shake test and the wobble factor has been reduced such that the trailer actually feels more like a house than a trailer. I suspect we can now both sleep through one anothers nocturnal urges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lantern0001.jpg (96.5 KB, 45 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Had a pair of them for the Pop-Up tent camper, made a world of difference.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
Oldmax
Dale - N8SAC

Got two pair somewhere in outbuilding from days in 23' Terry.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
KC1BUD

Being an ex-swabby never was bothered by the movement to the point of rarely noticing it, but the XYL is another story, she loves the new motor home with the jacks and I am reminded of it often, now that they are not currently working.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote