Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-23-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
ke0me

Default weather

Colorado weather report:

Tuesday sunny, high 72 deg, light winds

Wednesday snow, blizzard conditions, 6-12 inches accumulation, 35-50 mph winds, hazardous travel, all schools closed

Thursday partly sunny, high 52 deg, light winds

Oh the joys of Colorado in the spring

www.9news.com/weather
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

What, no hurricanes?
Old 03-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

I spent 3 weeks in Denver in the spring of 1987. The weather was exactly like that. I was snowing when I arrived, snowing when I left, and warm and sunny in the middle.

Mostly. When it wasn't snowing.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #4
electricflyer

I lived in Denver for a year when I was going to NCR's service training school. I remember one morning it was -25 degrees.and that afternoon it was 40 degrees above. We didn't have any money back then so in the winter we went to a grocery store and got some large cardboard boxes and opened them up and went up in the mountains an slid on the snow on them, the day we moved into Denver they had a hail storm (pea sized) that left 3' of it on the roads on the south side of town. It rained every afternoon at 3:15 for ten minutes and then clear skies. They have terrific lightning storms in Denver, one of the reasons the older section of Denver has no wooden structures because there was no central fire department, only volunteers and the stone structures prevented any fires started by lighting from spreading. Another little bit of trivia, back when I was there (1961) there was no water meters on any homes and there were a number of water companies that billed the water by the month. They all have meters now.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
ke0me

Carl,

Too early for hurricanes. Our equivalent is the Chinook winds that come off the down slopes of the mountains in late spring, which can get up to 74 MPH required for hurricane force.

That being said, I'm not moving, I will put up with the occasional blizzard for the lower humidity and 300+ days of sunshine.
2014 Silverado 2500
Old 03-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

My daughter moved from S.E. GA to Chyenne, WY.. The weather report in the opening post... rather close to what she is seeing 50s/60s one day Inches of snow next.. Oh the joys of that lattitude.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
accumack

This spring/summer we are going to the Pagosa Springs CO/ Chama NM area to look for a summer place. We are planning on being there in middle of May. Is that too soon?
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #8
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

I spent a week in Cheyenne once, in about 1998 or so (I was a traveling consultant). Nice town. It has the best little places on the planet to get breakfast, though Madison WI is a close second.

That was in June and the WX was perfect, but the locals said that in March it was cold. They also said that snow never hit the ground in Cheyenne because the wind was always so strong that snow in Cheyenne would land somewhere in Nebraska.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #9
N3LYT

Snowing in Maine right now freezing rain tonight, tomorrow 54 Saturday been doing this all winter if the rain had been snow this year I would have had to truck it into the woods to get rid of it.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #10
ke0me

Default Pagosa Springs and Chama

In summary:

Pagosa, nice town, 7100 ft elevation , population 1700, mid May temps AVERAGE mid 60's hi, 32 low

Chama, NM, smaller town, not many businesses, population about 1000, 7800 ft elevation

If you are not familiar with it, please check out the Cumbres-Toltec scenic narrow gauge railroad, not many coal fired narrow gauges left anymore.

May is fine if you dont mind the cooler temps, June is more like mid 70 highs, with lows more in the 40's at night.

Hope that helps.
2014 Silverado 2500