Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
aviator

Default New Member

Hi,
Just signed on. I have long hoped this forum would be started. I guess adding my thoughts to the hopeful threads on RV.Net finally paid off. I will try and be an active member. I know this forum is in its early days, but, I do hope the moderators contain or eliminate the trouble makers.

I have been in amateur radio since 1972. I'm an Extra class call NY2AR, XYL is N2UFI. I am a retired military pilot. We RV fulltime in a 42 foot motorcoach. We have been RV'ing since 1968.

I have a near future project to install a Kenwood TS-480, in our coach. I may need some help from any other members with like unit. More on that when the time is real near.

I'm happy to be here.

73's Miles
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
I guess adding my thoughts to the hopeful threads on RV.Net finally paid off. I will try and be an active member. I know this forum is in its early days, but, I do hope the moderators contain or eliminate the trouble makers.

snip

I'm happy to be here.

73's Miles
and we are happy to have you here! I just got "moderated" over on "that other forum" for welcoming one of our new members to this forum...in a post on "that other forum" :crutches:

We hope to moderate with a very light hand...as most ham ops know how to mind their manners on the air as well as on the internet. So far, everyone has had a wonderful spirit/attitude and we have not had to smack anybody for anything.

So settle in and enjoy what we hope to be the friendliest and most informative forum for mobile ham operations on the 'net. That will be because of what you, the membership, bring to the forum.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
N7OQ

Hi Miles glad to have you here on the this new forum. Wonder what planes you flew? I spent 20 years in the Air Force maintaining Comm, Nav and radar systems on a verity of Aircraft, worked on C141, C5. C130, SR71, U2, KC135Q and T38's to name a few. I really look forward to the Day I can retire in my second career and start camping across the US and Canada and with luck will be able to meet up with other Ham radio friends so this forum is so good.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
Richard Stouffer

You can learn a lot from my mistakes when it comes to installing a transciever in a DP. Actually I'm exaggerating; I still have a whole bunce of mistakes to make before I know anything.

Welcome
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
jagco

Welcome, Miles. This is turning out to be a great forum and I hope you feel welcome.
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
TXiceman

Welcome aboard. I am a moderator on iRV2.com and we do tolerate other forums being mentioned, but please no direct links to a "competitor". RV.net will pull a post in a heart beat if it mentions a competitor and they sometimes are a little heavy handed with the moderating.

Being a bunch of hams, we should all manage to get along pretty well I think.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
N7OQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Welcome aboard. I am a moderator on iRV2.com and we do tolerate other forums being mentioned, but please no direct links to a "competitor". RV.net will pull a post in a heart beat if it mentions a competitor and they sometimes are a little heavy handed with the moderating.

Being a bunch of hams, we should all manage to get along pretty well I think.

Ken
I tried RV.net and didn't think it even had Moderators, I have never seen so much flame throwing and rude in your face people. The RV forum I use now has a great group of people and we call RV.NET the dark side.

I had never heard of iRV2.com until I read your post so I checked it out, looks like a large forum and from what I read seems like a good group of campers there too.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #8
aintgotnun
Admin. I guess..........

Welcome!

Don't know where I've been. Probably out not getting my ticket or buying a radio. I think I'm the only one here without one.

As far as moderating goes.................. Ask Radio. I'm the mean one.

A radio that is.

End jihad
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
MomnDadHams

Great another new member! Maybe our group can somehow get a "ragchew" going on the radio someday! This new hobby is like none other...great, kind and helpful people and none of that "I'm better than you" attitude.

I may have been considered "guilty" of "flaming" on the other site. This is due to threads started with a question where the poster really does not want to know the truth. Hey we all mess up and must chaulk it up to experience rather than attempt to defend a lost cause.

N7OQ: The other sites moderators have their favorites and "moderate" in a manner anticipated.

Mike
MomnDadHams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #10
Richard Stouffer

I spend more time than a well adjusted person ought to on RV.net, but even with the smart alecks and mean guys, I think it fun. I get a kick out of seeing what the moderator on the Class A forum censors and try to see how close I can get without going over his line. Sometimes I'll admit to intentionally rattling somebody's chain knowing that they are flammable. There’s one guy from Cincinnati that gets that form lots of RV.net(ers).

Hams have a different decor because sharing knowledge is a big part of the hobby. We want to know how the other guy gets through the pile up or makes SSB contact with Australia on 100 watts. We also recognize that somebody posting here may be holding a QSO we would like to "break" into down the road.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #11
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stouffer View Post
I We want to know how the other guy gets through the pile up or makes SSB contact with Australia on 100 watts
With my 2 element quad up at 70 feet
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:19 AM   #12
Richard Stouffer

I don't have the guts to go to 70 feet- deed restictions and the head of the Homeowners associatoin lives across the street. Someday I'll get a Big SteppIR on the RV and that should do it.