Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
sunwalker
mike

Default New

hi all, new to rv'ing, new to ham radio (new enough not to have a lic. yet) and newly retired.
i have been interested in ham since i was 9 years old. the guy at my grade school had a radio in our science class and i was hooked. at 17 i joined the usmc and at 31 got out and had no time for a hobby, but NOW i am ready to go. the weird thing is, here in my area the only ham group i have talked to dont seem all that interested in a new member, weird. anyway i have started the general class studies on the internet and hope to eventualy take my test's. Oh this is my 5th day of the class and im not haveing fun anymore, hope it gets better. anyway im too long winded and i hope to met some of you on the road.
stay safe.
Mike
sunwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
W5DOK
Old Member

Hi Mike. Welcome aboard. Good luck on the tests. Hang in there. It gets easier.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Hi Mike. Don't let'em get you down; every hobby has a few curmudgeons. I think most hams welcome newbies. On ORR, all of'em do.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
KF5BET

Hey Mike:

You can do it! I got my tech 4 yrs ago and went on from there. Keep studying and start taking those online tests (it will help a lot).

Most hams are very willing to help you, but there are a few out there that are sticks in the mud. Brush em off and keep going....

Hope to see your new call sign posted soon!
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
N3LYT

Find out if your local repeater has a club and show up to a meeting it's had to ignore some one standing right in front of them.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Radio
Administrator

Well, newbies are welcome here on ORR.net.

If you get discouraged or confused just drop by here and we'll nudge you along and answer your questions.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
WD8QBQ

Thumbs up

Welcome Mike, keep at it, a little study every day is better than concentrated study with long voids between.

I recommend some other sites to you to help you gain your background knowledge.

QRZ.com ......... EHam.net ............. QTH.com

Ham test on line study course

here

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
sunwalker
mike

Thanks all of you for the welcome and advice. HamTestonlinewas the one I signed up for. I have gone back and cut my attempt from General to tech. I just thought that I would just study the whole darn thing, but in my case newbe is short for dummy also. I think tech is a good place to start. The only law I got down pat so for is Murphy's law.
Thanks guys.
Mike
sunwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwalker View Post
Thanks all of you for the welcome and advice. HamTestonlinewas the one I signed up for. I have gone back and cut my attempt from General to tech. I just thought that I would just study the whole darn thing, but in my case newbe is short for dummy also. I think tech is a good place to start. The only law I got down pat so for is Murphy's law.
Thanks guys.
Mike
I would recommend the ARRL study manual. They have all the questions and answers and a test CD.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I wish I could not say this about Ham clubs. but in all sorts of places I have found some clubs and organizations are very nice, open and welcoming.

And some are very "Clickish" and snobs.

I recall when I went to the President of my local ham club and ask if there was any interest in a Repeater system.. I was basically told to get lost.. A couple years later, after founding a repeater club and getting several repeaters on the air (6 mtr, 2mtr and 70cm) The club said "Why did you not come to us".. I said I did, and was told no interest. "Well who did you talk to" The president (President duties include being the spokesperson for the organization) They tole me I should have ask someone else (clearly, but I mean, he was the President).

By the way..... Welcome to our club. Glad you found us.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
N3LYT

Yep there are wing nuts on every band but there are more good hams then wing nuts just keep trying and don't listen to 14.313! I had a hard time with the AM guys on HF but now I'm a regular they have even gotten used to my "rice box"!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
KF5BET

Mike:

Here is a great site for powerpoint presentations for the different classes of license. I have used the general and the extra found them to be very good. I like the way they break the lessons down into small increments. I found that they followed the ARRL book fairly close.

http://www.sph.sc.edu/acphp/resources.htm

as Far as online tests. My girls are using this website for free tests. My oldest (15) passed her general almost two months ago and my youngest (13) is almost ready to take her general.

http://aa9pw.com/radio/

Hope this helps and good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

BTW....You're welcome to come to our local ham club meetings any time.

www.w5ddl.org
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote