Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Silas Longshot

Default Ahead of the game as RV'ers and hams

If one considers the possibility of impending local disaster, by nature or by man, we camper types, doubling as hams, are 'twice blessed' in that we have a portable 'bug out shelter' that we can hook up to in short order to get outta Dodge and communication equipment the rest of the population doesn't have. Probably most of us even leave our rigs modestly stocked with some food and suppplies, but just for the average camping trip or weekend getaway.
To be more effective as a getaway vehicle, our rigs should have their inventories adjusted to adapt to a longer term situation than the average camping trip supplies would cope with. I'm fond of packing ours with a high percentage of freeze dried fare, along with the usual grocery canned stock like canned meats, soups, pasta dishes, etc. I've also slowly stocked up on extra propane tanks for my TT, to have cooking and heat, at somewhat lower than 'comfortable' levels to make the gas last as long as possible. A solar panel on the roof extends the camper battery usage, so that we get longer juice for the water pump and lighting. We've swapped all our original automotive 12v incandescent lights out to LED lamps, far more efficient to avoid that drain on the battery.
Having a decent water filter system on board, such as a Berkey ceramic unit, one can collect rainwater off the awning and top up the freshwater tank. Only the water for drinking and cooking need be filtered, of course.
Problematic for this adventure, is what to do with the holding tanks? The grey water tank could be drained, carefully controlled, into a bucket to flush with. The black water tank, that we'll have to get creative with, if we're in the boonies hiding out. I'm sure one of those macerateors or grinder gadgets for sewage would be really helpful for that.
If at all possible, I think one should have enough fuel in 'jerry cans' to at least make one fill up for the camper or tow vehicle. In most cases that's gonna be a LOT of fuel. That's why I favor the jerry can, it's footprint is smaller than the average plastic fuel container. I'm presenting this angle as using a pickup as a tow vehicle. There's generally enough space in back to accommodate these cans, along with the spare propane tanks, some water cans and all the food you can cram in from your house stash. Secure the jerry cans WELL, towards the tailgate. You don't want to have to waste time and drag out stuff all over the place to get to fuel if you're in some kind of situation requiring 'bugging out'.

https://survivingurbancrisis.wordpre...cation-option/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg awning water catch.jpg (40.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

An upside-down umbrella works well, too, and is cleaner than my awning ever gets, but of course it is smaller and will collect less water per unit time.

I'd put a filter in the line to the fill port.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

That would work well for ... Flush water.

One slight difference, My "Bug Out House" does not need to be hooked up, as it is a class A. in addition it holds enough gasoline to run the genny 3 days straight, or I can run Genny days and run on batteries at night, Genny is 5,000 watts, I used less than half of it when the lights went out in Detroit last time (I actually read the in-panel wattmeter on the Generator transfer panel in the house)

Yes, There are many advantages to living on wheels.

Here is one not many think of... We go shopping, Usually as we go from CG to CG, so we take the house with us.. Wife loads up on stuff at Aldi that needs to stay cold, It's August, Others bring say, Ice cream out to their car, Drive home, and put slush in the freezer cause it melted.

We come out of the store and directly to the freezer it goes, NO delay, No melting.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Yah, my class A has a propane-fueled generator -- diesel would be better -- that can run about three days when I run the roof air conditioners; also 96 gallons of fresh water lasts me typically a week, or two weeks if I'm very careful. Still, since the thing is mobile and has a fuel range of about 1000 miles on its 90-gallon diesel tank, the thing to do is get out, ahead of any predictable emergency (hurricane, for example) and as soon as possible after unpredictable ones (like the election of Democrats).
Old 02-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
N3LYT

I have gone to great pains to reduce my 12 volt power requirements LED's accumulator tanks for the water pump very efficient exhaust fan. I run two batteries and have gone for 7 days with out a recharge the next trick is a 50+ watt portable/steerable solar panel so I can run my HF rig a little more often. I collect water from my awning also I have found that some times the water does not taste quite right and all I have to do is pour the water back an forth between two containers a few times and it's fine there is an amazing amount of water from even a small rain storm. Where I am there is no need to run from storms pretty much the worse we get here in the mountains is snow and as far as unpredictable ones I don't think the election of Democrats was, so I was well prepared.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
Mr. Ham

If you have your camper stocked up with food, clothes and a couple of firearms, you are ahead of the game.

The key is to get on the road before the road becomes congested with others trying to do the same thing. Get as far away from civilization as possible.

If you find a place that also has good spring water and shelter from the winds and can stay, you should be able to stay until you run out of food.
As long as you can replenish your food supply and use firewood for cooking and only use the generator to recharge the batteries - you can extend your time to 6 months or even 1 year if you had cache's of food and supplies stored at your bug out location.
Mr. Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ham View Post
Get as far away from civilization as possible.
Well, I'm in Tallahassee, the home of the FSU Seminoles. For an old Florida Gator grad, that's about as far from civilization as there is.

The local Gator Alumni Association chapter has a title: Civilization Among The Savages.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I like to keep a full tank for the genny.. But alas that will be a problem for the next year or two.... Due to the way thigns work I'm not worried about water and sewer.

WHen I had a sticks and bricks... I added an outlet on the motor home with matching inlet on the house and a proper transfer panel.. Lights, Furnace, Electronics and cold storage (Freezer and fridge) all on the E-panel. Very happy more than once.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
N3LYT

I will not carry a hand gun or be around those that do so that is out but I live in the woods in a town of 1100 people scattered over 43 square miles I have enough wood for 10 life times if I need food in the winter I will hunt (yes I own guns but use a bow) other than that I grow what we need and live on a river with plenty of fish. 1/2 and inch of rain gives me about 50 gallons of captured water. Electricity is nice but I can use what I get for the sun to do what I need. By the way Carl I am one of the "Savages" good part of the family is Mi'kmag.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Oh no -- Seminole jokes -- Gator jokes -- life gets complex sometimes --
Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #11
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
I will not carry a hand gun or be around those that do
Phoo. That means you can't be around me. I feel safest when everyone is armed, since the overwhelming majority of people anywhere (except parts of the Middle East) are good guys, and outnumber the bad guys.

Good guys and bad guys both armed = safe.
Only bad guys armed = dangerous.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #12
wa8yxm

Quote:
I will not carry a hand gun or be around those that do ...

Though I too choose not to carry... Being around those who do was not an option for me for many years... I'm a retired police dispatcher.

Strange thing, with 3 exceptions, the ones who were the biggests pain in the anatomy... are exactly the same ones I want guarding that same anatomy should it ever need guarding. (I mean they were darn good troopers).
Old 08-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
N3LYT

deleated
Old 08-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #14
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Though I too choose not to carry... Being around those who do was not an option for me for many years... I'm a retired police dispatcher.

Strange thing, with 3 exceptions, the ones who were the biggests pain in the anatomy... are exactly the same ones I want guarding that same anatomy should it ever need guarding. (I mean they were darn good troopers).
I worked for the Cumberland County PD for 15 years. I am a believer in better gun laws and the ding dongs carrying guns in stores and harassing others on the streets with their macho image does their cause no good. I have heard about their rights too many times how about the general public’s right not to be intimidated? A person can walk down the street with a gun in their hand and the cops can’t do a thing in the meantime the public has to put up with this behavior sorry but that’s just not right. I was a life member of the NRA years ago about the time they became a lobbying group for the gun manufactures instead of teaching gun safety and proper educate I turned in my membership.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #15
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

We disagree. That's OK, but I must object to your characterization of walking "down the street with a gun in their hand" and "harassing others on the streets with their macho image". I've never done that, nor seen anyone do that, and it would be unlawful just about anywhere, even in places like Alaska and Vermont where both open and concealed carry are legal. Neither of those places is as dangerous as Chicago or NYC where only the bad guys are armed. Going peacefully about one's business while armed is not the same as, and doesn't resemble, swaggering around and harassing anyone.

Setting up an imaginary, unrealistic, and utterly false scenario, and then using it as a base for argument about situations that don't resemble it in any way, is intellectual dishonesty.

I approve and applaud your holding your own opinions and arguing in their favor -- that's both a right and a duty -- but I can never approve intellectual dishonesty.

I guess I also disapprove use of this particular forum for this particular topic. Therefore, if you wish, since you brought it up in the first place, you may have the last word.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #16
Radio
Administrator

We don't have a guns 'n' ammo forum.

For a reason.
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #17
N3LYT

OK I will. I agree the ones that have no idea of how to behave cause the issues for those that do I will also say the majority of the gun owners out there behave and do not parade their guns for all to see they are responsible people. I'm talking about the ones that like to shove it in your face they are the ones that make the news the ones that take their AK's in to stores and restaurants they are a black eye for the rest of the gun owners that know how to behave there is no need of that to prove a point it just causes hate and discontent. Not many people know it was not until about the early to mid-80 that even concealed carry was legal except in extreme cases. There never was a wild west most of the old western town did not even allow guns in the town! It just another example of corporate madness open the flood gates. If a concealed carry holder keeps his gun concealed no one would be the wiser so why is it necessary to show it off? If I was a bad guy looking to rob them the first thing I would do is put a bullet in their head because I know they have a gun then rob them. OK I'm done.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #18
wa8yxm

Regarding hand guns.... I also do not carry,, I won't go into all the reasons but I believe for a couple of reasons I'm safer not carrying...

But as for being around those who do... I'm a retired police dispatcher.. I spent 25 years working with folks who were carrying.

And last time I visited a target range.. .Did rather well.

How good are the folks I worked with (Way better than me) Well one of them got in a bit of a shootout with a car thief... The idiot drew and fired at the trooper.. The Trooper, in the past, had been a contestant in a shooting contest. His score (Winning that year) using his service weapon was 300-28x He put 30 rounds in the 10 ring, and only 2 of them were NOT bullseyes. The suspect lived,,,, limped, but lived. no need to kill.

Another (This one wound up being my supervisor) was attacked off duty.. He left his gun where it was and put the idiot in ICU using nothing more than a right cross. Idiot lived to stand trial for felony assult and sexual misconduct (I am leaving out most of the story). Trooper had to work as my partner for a while.. Seems he broke his hand on the steel door frame that was on the other side of idiot's face (Think about this for a bit).

Wonder if Idiot learned anything?
Old 08-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #19
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Interesting. Besides being a retired engineer and manager, I'm a Judo instructor, with extensive successful contest experience and decades of teaching. Still, I often carry. If I have one lesson for those who aren't always accompanied by bodyguards and think they're tough, it is this: You never know what the other guy is good at. So, if he turns out to be better than I am (many are better than I ever was, and now I'm old and slow), I keep other options. Maybe I'm better at something, like shooting. I hope.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #20
wa8yxm

Quote:
I worked for the Cumberland County PD for 15 years. I am a believer in better gun laws and the ding dongs carrying guns in stores and harassing others on the streets with their macho image does their cause no good.
I agree with everythign including and following the words "Ding Dongs".

As for what preceeds it.. Well, I guess I agree with that too, AS PHRASED but I am not sure what "Better Gun Laws" would mean.

I have seen arguments for tighter restrictions.

I have seen arguments for less restrictions.

If there we can come up with a way to insure only RESPONSIBLE people can carry guns.. That would work.

To summarize several arguments:

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.... (True) thus the average citizen will have no defense.

IN states where it is easy to obtain a carry permit and many do gun crimes tend to be reduced for the simply reason the odds of surving if you say walked into a bank and pulled your gun and announced a stick up.. Kind of low.

Fewer guns will make it harder for criminals to obtain a gun illegally.

And the final argument (This one is my own)

There exists (At every police dispatch center from coast to coast) a book which is the NCIC code manual.. IN this manual is a fairly thick section that lists every make, and model of vehicle made.. This includes cars, all sizes of trucks, Bulldozers, Crains, Construction equipment, Farm equipment, Aircraft and blimps and water crafts.. It is one of the two thickest sections in the book.

The one that is thicker:: GUN codes

And that folks...... is scary.

I choose not to carry.. It is my choice, and I rather like that it is my choice.. I have no problem with a responsible gun owner who chooses otherwise and do support his decision.. I happen to be a very good shot, and a very "Cold" shot (I do not panic easily) but .. I choose not to shoot unless the conditions are very clear.. (IE: I am having dinner with a police officer, HE gets shot by suspect and I use HIS gun to return the favor).. Trust me.. I will not miss.

Tags
bugout, filters, water collection