Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #21
caymann

I have an icom 7k as well as a flexradio 3000 for the MH

Since i work DX during morning grayline, i leave the flex3000 inside the MH and just take my laptop and headset outside and sit somewhere she can't hear me (it could be also sitting inside the toad so nobody can hear me talking). My laptop has a 9hr battery so i don't need AC power.

I just have to run long firewire and ethernet cables

I also record my call sign and play them when contacting DX so that she doesn't keep hearing my call sign over and over again.

I also ask her to use the roof ac/heat pump in the morning that takes care of such issues when i can't step outside due to bad weather (assuming we are not dry camping).

If nothing else, i just don't get on the air. I know that i will miss that DX today, but will have an opportunity another day to work him. It has never failed except for dxpeditions.
caymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #22
One Country Boy

I presently do not have my equipment set up in our motorhome. I had a nice setup in our 5th wheel. A customized cabinet with HF, VHF and power supply all stacked. I'm still thinking on the motorhome.

Caymann, could you share your call with us (not a necessity) and/or first name please?

Thanks.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
caymann

Hi Jim
My call sign is AB1PJ
thank you for asking
Jim S Basu
caymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #24
Radio
Administrator

In case you were not officially welcomed to our private little zoo

to Jim/AB1PJ

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #25
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymann View Post
Hi Jim
My call sign is AB1PJ
thank you for asking
Jim S Basu
Hey Jim... A great name you have there. Hi Hi... I may remember that one.

As Wade said, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard. Good luck with getting a permanant setup in your RV. Post with us often.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #26
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

We;; in my RV there are basically 4 rooms

From the rear

The rear main bathroom with shower dual vanity and toilet (And cabinets)

The main bedroom (Foreward of the bath, 2 slideouts, full width)

and a short hallway I will return to this hall. Cabinets on one side (Washer Dryer or Storage, we choose storage, Water heater, are in this area, main power panels on other side) and one more thing off on that side I"ll return to)

and the The front multi-purpose room (living, Dining, Kitchen and part time bedroom also the cockpit is in this area.

Now the one other thing.. A half bath (Tiolet/ Lav and two "overhead" cabinets.

That room like the main bath has a genuine door, IT is also where I parked the TS-2000. Very handy.. Ever beein in a net and the NCS says to the station in front of you "Go ahead Call and stand by "your call or name" and just then you feel that urge to,,, shall we say,,, be somewhere sitting down?

Well, that's where I'm sitting.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #27
KF5BET

Mine is an armchair under the awning...Fiver is too small with three ladies along.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #28
jskline0

Send a message via AIM to jskline0 Send a message via Yahoo to jskline0 Send a message via Skype™ to jskline0

In my 1994 Fleetwood Jamboree, there used to be a TV mounted in an overhead over the dining table. I decided to make that a spot to hold a good stereo receiver for the "house", and on top will be my Icom IC-735, a tuner, and a couple other items.
You'll be able to grab them, and put them down on the table to work or place up in the Granny's Attic and operate from there. Antenna will either be a multiband mounted to the back of the house on the outside or if I am parking for a longer time, a Butternut HF-6V will be ground mounted a few feet away from the RV. Ground planes and all.
jskline0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #29
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well. there are 4 considerations in where to put the "ham Shack"
Disturbing other occupants.. This means you need a room with a DOOR
Power.. For example such a room in my RV happens to have the backside of the 12 volt distribution panel in i is very handy)
And Net participation, will describe that later.. Joe Walsh happens to have though of that one as well.

My RV is a "Bath and a half" modtwin lav's and a shower. Half bath is toileTS-2000

I canm close the door, As I noted above power is handy, and when the net control says "Go ahead station before me) stand by Me, and naturally that is when I feel the need to be seated... Somewhere speific... Well.. I'm already seated there.. Just need to make a few adjustments (Lift lid, drop trousers sit back down). and Joe and I do not miss our turn on the net... Very handy.

I apologize for the liquid now all over your keyboard and monitor.. but well.. That's where I put my Ham Shack.

and having a nice 80 amp power supply just 2 feet left of the Radio and a couple feed down.. Not a bad deal either. WITH FULL BATTERY BACKUP and 160 amp surge ability.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #30
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

It's at the driver seat, and they ain't no other occupants in the DP.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #31
AC9EX

Default Where to put the hamshack?

I have considered long and hard on this matter, we are in the escape planning stage for execution in 5 yrs, I am 57. We will be going full time in a class A MH, I thought about the bunkhouse layout, but that would restrict the spare BR to a ham shack/craft room which may work out ok but reduce the other living space available. Recently I have been considering the Flex radios, because the rig could be stowed anywhere and operated from my laptop or now the new remote device (Maestro) they came out with last year. Which means the shack could be anywhere within range of the WIFI signal of my MH. So from the table under the awning to the throne room to the cockpit I could operate the shack. Next is to figure out how to rig the HY-Tower to the roof to pivot up into service when I want to operate! HI HI! so many things to consider!
AC9EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #32
wa8yxm

True Story: Entainer Joe Walsh (Eagles among other bands) has a toilet in his ham shack, that way. Well, it never fails.. You are in a directed net, Go ahead Pete and Joe stand by". and suddenly you feel the urge to.. Well, go sit somewhere for a bit.

In my motor home there are 4 rooms and a hall
The Great room (Where I am sitting as I type this) Kitchen, living room and dining room all in one
The half bath
The full bath
The bedroom

Now the baths have doors, that can be closed, AND toilets so you can .... Not miss your turn at the mic... So I used the half bath, Since the full was Wife's domain.

Another consideration.. Next to the Hlaf bath in my RV is the hall. on the hall/bath wall is the main power distribution panels, both 12 volt and 120 volt.. The panels are "Open" in back to the cabinet under the sink.. So I had a real easy time running the 12 volt line from the TS-2000 to the back fo the main fuse block (80 amp) Very easy to hook up. Solid ground, Soild power.