Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
w7wv

Such is life in our throw away society today.
When it comes to the tests my back round involved almost 6 years as an op for the Army ( I learned some self repair while there) and CW training at the time.
Then 4 years in an electronics mechanic apprenticeship for the US Navy as a civilian.
I got my Novice class right after the Radio schooling we went through.
I left the hobby as I did not have time for it and came back when I retired for good a few years back.
I got my Tech+ and then General a week apart. I should have just taken both tests at the same time. The code nor the electronics were much of a challenge at that point.
However, when it came to the extra test I took in less than a year, it seemed there were many subjects I had no or very little exposure too during my working career in the field of electronics so I had to so some reading to understand it.
I think when I took my test (not for novice but for tech, gen etc and above it seems to me that you had to know a little about theory. But there is little demand now for the most part it seems.
I know when I started to get ready for the general class you had to know how to draw a basic oscillators and some other circuits at the time. No multiple choice pix were there for that test.
I do think you should know something if you are going to adjust transmitters and fool around with amps.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote