Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
ke0me

Default Alaska

Just really dreaming if there is any possibility of doing an Alaska RV trip in the next two years via the Alcan Hwy.

We aren't getting any younger, and this is one of the bucket list items.

Has anyone actually done this, or know of someone who has?

I am looking for some one on one discussion, as I have many questions, not the least is whether to go solo or with a tour group, pros and cons either way.

And of course, I will need to take all the radios I can pack in the RV.

Any leads?

Thanks
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
electricflyer

Quite a few discussions on the various forums. I know there is a group that is planning to go in caravan to Alaska in 2018. It's been in the planning stage for several years. Figure on being gone at least 2 months. Since you own a Forest River product you may want to check the Forest River Forum and do a search on the subject. http://www.forestriverforums.com I have a friend that it going on that trip, his ID on the Forest River forum is "BamaBob. I believe the group is filled up for now, they have a 20 RV limit and have reservations made at several stops already, I think they are wanting between $3,000 to $4,000 to join the group. If I was 15 years younger I would want to try it but can just read about it now. Several RVrs that have made the trip before are organizing it. The funds are to pay for campgrounds and I imagine food gatherings, etc. I am pushing him to get a ham license as I think a group that large needs communication to keep them together and cell coverage in some areas may be non existent . You know the saying, "When all else fails, ham radio". I would expect that many people will be stretched out several miles. Many people do it solo so it all depends on what you want to get out of it. I know that everyone says to buy the book "The Milepost" before you go, you can get it on Amazon for a little under $24. They publish a new one every year. Lots of books on Amazon for the subject.

BTW you may want to PM BamaBob and find out more on the subject maybe he can steer you to more information since he has been working with the planning.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #3
coupevillefish

We did it solo one-way in a class C 1986 and my folks did it several times in their RV. We took the ferry northbound because we wanted to stop in Juneau. We have friends that have done it solo and as part of an organized tour. It really depends on your comfort level.

I understand that the roads are pretty good these days although there always will be construction. There are lots of resources like Mikepost, to help plan the trip.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #4
electricflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post
I understand that the roads are pretty good these days although there always will be construction. There are lots of resources like Mikepost, to help plan the trip.
I think nearly all the people that have made the trip in the last few years have said road repair for frost heaves seems to be never ending. Construction areas have roads that may limit your speed to under 10MPH due to the pot holes and work crews. Not that they have a speed limit it is that it is as fast as you can maneuver the road obstructions.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote