Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 09-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

Default Up and coming trip

Connie and I are planning a trip to Atlanta beginning Sept 25th and returning Oct 11th. Planned routes are I-40 East to Memphis, then Southeast through Tupelo, taking the backroads to Atlanta. Returning will be going down to Tallahasse then West along I-10 or coast routes next to shoreline onto past San Antonio, then up to the Antique city of Fredricksburg (zillions of antiques here). Finally heading back West some route we havent finalized yet.

I will be mostly on 146.52 mobile, but when stopped, will unwrap my portable satellite gear and try to work some birdies, and maybe giving some rare or needed Grid Squares to whom ever needs them. I will have my HF in the 5th wheel, but unknown if I will have time to set it up. More than likely if I do, it will be on 20 or 40 meters, but have no idea where or what freq. More than likely it would be on PSK31 or Olivia digital anyway.

So, if you hear me on, give me a shout.
2002 Dodge 3500 Diesel-Dually
2011 Forest River Wildcat 313 5th wheel
Icom IC-2800 Dual-bander in truck
Yaesu FT-1900R 2M Xcvr in RV
W6ZKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Where will you be staying while in the Atlanta area?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
One Country Boy

Yes, and where might you be when you pass close to Tallahassee ? That's getting close to me. Tallytown is only about 65 miles.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
KF5BET

We are about 10 miles south of I-10 in Lafayette, LA....great food..good times..When are you coming through?

Galen
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

Wade: We havent figured out where in the Atlanta area. Actually, I am visiting my old Air Force room mate (1960-61 Ontario, Canada) who lives in Douglasville, West of Atlanta. Will try and find something close there, and only staying 1-2 days then off South towards the Gold Coast and Tallahasse to meet with an old friend from my car racing days, then South to the waters edge along Hiway 98 towards Pensacola, then hit I-10 again going West. I cannot exactly say when we will be at a certain area, as it is a "freewheeling vacation" and being a Vagabond of sorts. Just know the wife has to be back in Las Vegas for work on Oct. 12th, heh.. But again, since she is the BOSS, I am sure that date might can be changed, even though the Doc's might not like it, but they'll give in, I can tell you right now..........but maybe BITCH abit about it.. Like fire her.......they'd go bellyup !! More than likely will be on .52 simplex for the majority of the time, as dont hang on rptrs much, and never here infact.

John
Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
KF5BET

When you get around Lafayette, the local club repeater is 146.820 (-)...There are usually people on it at all times...(if you should need anything!)
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W6ZKH View Post
Wade: We havent figured out where in the Atlanta area. Actually, I am visiting my old Air Force room mate (1960-61 Ontario, Canada) who lives in Douglasville, West of Atlanta. Will try and find something close there, and only staying 1-2 days then off South towards the Gold Coast and Tallahasse to meet with an old friend from my car racing days, then South to the waters edge along Hiway 98 towards Pensacola, then hit I-10 again going West. I cannot exactly say when we will be at a certain area, as it is a "freewheeling vacation" and being a Vagabond of sorts. Just know the wife has to be back in Las Vegas for work on Oct. 12th, heh.. But again, since she is the BOSS, I am sure that date might can be changed, even though the Doc's might not like it, but they'll give in, I can tell you right now..........but maybe BITCH abit about it.. Like fire her.......they'd go bellyup !! More than likely will be on .52 simplex for the majority of the time, as dont hang on rptrs much, and never here infact.

John
John,

If you go US 98, you will be within 25 miles of me. Stay intouch, will try to meet you somewhere.

Jim

Old 09-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

Wade: my friend found a place called Sweet Water Valley RV park in Villa Rica, west of Douglasville. Galen: thanks for the info on the repeater. Jim: yes I saw on the map you were north of the 98 there, but I looked in my RV campground guide and nothing was listed for that town. Looking at a place in Panama City. Spent most of the afternoon on Tuesday going over the maps and all, and have figured it will be 4768 miles + for this trip in 18 days.

Brought home the 5th wheel yesterday, washed it today, as was filthy from all the AG dirt/dust/smog/ozone whatever you want to call it today. Mounted the new flatscreen TV in the bedroom and also added the digital TV converter for the big tv in the living room part. My son kept telling me that I wouldnt need it, as my tv wasnt that old.........well, I went ahead and got that coupon anyway a year ago, and picked one up for $10, and glad I did, as wouldnt work using an antenna at all here.

Got overheated while working on it, and so letting the rest go until the morning times. I still got 6 days anyway. Connie will be home from Las Vegas tonite and she'll help me tomorrow, then she has to go back to LV on Sunday afternoon. Nothing like a 700 mile commute!! No wonder her new car has +18,000 miles on it since March...

Have a good weekend...

John
Old 09-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

This morning we are near Talladega Speedway, at Lake Logan Martin. Will be at our final destination East this afternoon, West of Atlanta. Hopefully the RV park is still in operation after the high water of last few weeks.

Been doing mostly satellite operations but did do some PSK31 operation yesterday with good results using the IC-718 and Hamstick antenna on the ladder, on 20M.

Sure have had good weather the whole way, but guess they are expecting some T-storms here later on in the week. Well, I need it, while driving, to take the bugs off the front cap of the RV, hi...

Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
One Country Boy

You moved right along. You were traveling during the "love bug" season. We still have to clean them off the front of the 5er from our last trip. Now that the weather is cooler, I will tackle it. Sounds like a great trip. We passed by the Taledaga Speedway awhile back going from Dillard, GA over to Birmingham.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #11
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

Tonight we are in Bainbridge, GA, and should arrive in Tallahassee around noon or earlier to visit a friend whom I use to race cars with in Las Vegas. Then after a short visit, head South on 319 around the Emerald shores of the Gulf. Probably stay in Panama City. Sofar the weather has held out for us, even though today it was cloudy.

Yeah Jim, we've been gone 8 days and 2750 miles sofar... about equal that going back...

73 de John
Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
One Country Boy

Well shucks John. I bet we missed you. I've not been on in 2 or 3 days. We were out-of-town. I see that last post was the 2nd, we're now the 6th. The way you are traveling, you are probably half way back to CA by now. Sorry we didn't catch you John.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

Just about JIM, hi..... Tonight we are in Fredericksburg, TX, and will visit here for 2 days then head for San Angelo. We stayed in Mexico Beach on 10/3, Hammond, LA on 10/4. Going to see the LBJ Ranch tomorrow along with Luckenbach, TX....seeing if Willie, Walen and the boys are still there, ha....

Also worked abit of 20M PSK-31 today. PTT on mike broken, so used VOX on SSB.

John