Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Atlanta Hamfest

Well the Atlanta hamfest is in the books now. I don't think there was as many people there as last year. The boneyard had room for more sellers. We did our usual test session. The CAVEC group headquarter in Huntsville Al was in charge. I am a VE for them as well as ARRL and W5YI. We had 26 people test. Several upgraded to General, several upgraded to Extra and of course a number of new Techs. I think there was 4 that failed to get licensed. Seemed to be pretty much equally divided from what I could observe. They have made several changes to the hamfest area. There is now a chairlift that had towers running through the area (not in operation). There was a new comfort facility although it was open yet and another new building that I don't know what the purpose was for. I took a look at the RV parking next to the hamfest area. Not exactly an ideal site. The electric and water was set up to share with two adjoining sites which made every other site hook up on the curb side, which isn't a problem if they are not full and there are a number of empty sites available. The sewer hook up is about 6 inches above the surface so an elevated hose would be necessary to drain properly. It looked like they added a turn around area at the end of the camp sites since it isn't in a loop. Minor concerns for campers but for the price of an overnight stay it can be overlooked.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Glad the hamfest went well and glad you are out there making new hams! My Sweet Wife got her Tech ticket there many moons ago. We had trouble finding the location (it was off site) and arrived late for the session, but the guys stayed over to make one more ham that day.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote