Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
donnie

Send a message via MSN to donnie
Default FT 90r Opinion

Found a Yaesu FT 90r dual band for sale in the neighborhood of $200.
ID like some opinions, being as Im fairly new to ham radio, on how good of a radio this would be for a mobile in the Jeep.
Thinking about either getting that or a Mirage BD 35 amp to use with the HT.
Thanks.

donnie

K7UTA
donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
One Country Boy

I once had one of the little Mirage amps with a handheld. I don't recall it it was a 30 or 50 watter. Worked very well, I was pleased with it. Mirage is generally good gear. I have two Mirage amps. I don't use them and probably need to sell them. Just boxed up in the closet.

Sorry, I don't know anything abput the FT-90. Not much help, I'm afraid. There are some reviews on eHam.net, did you look at them ? Here's the link: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/75

Jim

Old 07-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
donnie

Send a message via MSN to donnie

Thanks for the reply Jim.
I did look at E Ham and the opinions were mixed but sortof leaning towards the owners being pleased with them.
THe main reason for the Mirage is 5 in gets 40 out.I may not need os use it but its nice to know it would be there.
IF the one of the amps you have is a 35 dual band, let me know if interested in selling.

donnie

K7UTA
donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Thanks for the reply Jim.
I did look at E Ham and the opinions were mixed but sortof leaning towards the owners being pleased with them.
THe main reason for the Mirage is 5 in gets 40 out.I may not need os use it but its nice to know it would be there.
IF the one of the amps you have is a 35 dual band, let me know if interested in selling.
No, sorry I don't have a dual band amp.

I used a Mirage with an old HT in the car once for added power. When I got out of the car, I just disconnected and put the rubber duck back on. While in rural areas, it gave me enough power to get into repeaters.

I have a Mirage B-1016 (10 watts in gives you 160 watts output). It pairs nicely with a Kenwood TR-9000. The TR-9000 is an all mode 2-meter radio. The radio only puts out 10 watts, so it is a good match for the amp. The receiver pre-amp in the Mirage is outstanding. I used to enjoy working 2-meter SSB. I have another accessory that goes with the TR-9000, but I cannot think of the name of it. I've not been trying to sell them but would if someone was interested. The radio is in the original box with manuals. That "original box" has an appeal to hams for some reason. Maybe I could sell the box seperately.

I also have a Mirage B-5016 (45 watts in gives 160 watts out). It is practically new. It also has a receiver pre-amp but not as impressive as the older amp.

Sorry I didn't have what you were looking for.

Jim

Old 11-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Oldmax
Dale - N8SAC

I like the FT90R output is VHF-50/20/10/5 , UHF-35/20/10/5 have had one for 5 years now
Oldmax is offline   Reply With Quote