Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
n4xyz

Default Hf feed thru for the 5er

Hi All

We have a 30ft 5er and I want to mount a 32 foot fiberglass pole on the rear bumper that will hold up a wire. I will tune the wire with a AH-4. I was looking for suggestions for feed thru connections. I was thinking of mounting the tuner in the camper and have two feeds, one for antenna wire and one for ground. I am also considering the best way to mount and weather proof a SO-239 bulkhead fitting for 2 meters. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
2014 Grand Design
Reflection 303RLS
n4xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Well, for starts, have a look at these two threads

http://www.openroadsradio.net/forums...read.php?t=676

http://www.openroadsradio.net/forums...read.php?t=369

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Keep in mind that the antenna starts right at the output stud of your coupler, so if you mount the coupler inside your camper, do it with the shortest possible wire [inches, not feet] inside to minimze RF inside. You cannot use coax as the feed, but you could skin off the braid and use the center conductor and the center insulation on RG-8 - that stuff is durable.

Best would be to mount the coupler on the outside of your trailer.
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Manual.... That is why the auto-tuner on my TS-2000 is a Kenwood KAT-1 Marine grade unit..

It's mounted OUTSIDE the motor home (on the rear cap) and fed with coax to keep losses to a minimum and RF out of the house as much as possible... Alas, still knocks the compute down if I go on 10 meters though
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
W7PSK

Here is my layout for the trailer

If you look at the kitchen counter next to the Chair, thats where I ran mine. I found there is a hole in the counter that the Water tubes run up in. I was able to reach the bottom cover without touching anything from there. I ran a clothes hanger (wire) straightened down and with a drill attached poked it through the stiff board bottom material. It was easy then to snake it to my ladder from there.

Im using a Mirror mount for the Whip type antennas. I do have a 4BTV Im going to try and get up this weekend on our outing to see how it works.

I hope the ladder will hold it.

Anyone mounted a vertical on the ladder without issues or do you think its too much load on it ?
W7PSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Depends on the vertical and on the ladder.. I've seen it done

But frankly.. I think the ladder Damon put on my coach might not have done well... Suggestion.. attach the mounting brackets for the antenna very close to the ladder's own mounts.

(I took my ladder off, put a couple of "J" hooks at the top, put a shower "Grab Assist Bar" (Stainless steel) at the bottom and hang a convertable step/extension ladder on it. When I need to go "Topside" it's easier to get on and off from a proper slanted ladder than the mounted one on an RV, and when I only need to get to the top of the side, instead of the roof.. Well.. that's what a step ladder is for)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
WD8QBQ

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4xyz View Post
Hi All

We have a 30ft 5er and I want to mount a 32 foot fiberglass pole on the rear bumper that will hold up a wire. I will tune the wire with a AH-4. I was looking for suggestions for feed thru connections. I was thinking of mounting the tuner in the camper and have two feeds, one for antenna wire and one for ground. I am also considering the best way to mount and weather proof a SO-239 bulkhead fitting for 2 meters. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Dave, MFJ has a product for sale. I think you could adapt it to your needs.

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/mfj-e...-fullsize.html

The bulkhead fitting for 2 meters should be pretty straight forward. Drill, with a small hole saw, a hole to fit the fitting and drill the 4 screw holes for the screws and nuts to hold it in place. You could us Rivnuts if you can not get to the back of the skin to which you are mounting. There are also nuts encapsulated in rubber that grip and seal into the hole as they are tightened. They are sold at tractor supply and Home Depot and Ace Hardware. I would place a homemade gasket between the fitting and the trailer panel.

If you need more ask
JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
W7PSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Depends on the vertical and on the ladder.. I've seen it done
Its a Cushcraft 4BTV.

I hear the Antenna Compendium #7 has a great article on how to do it, just cant find a copy of it.
W7PSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
Oboy

What I ended up doing, was getting a Marinco 150BBI, and modified it so a barrel connector could be used.

The reason for the slit is so the cable for the TW2010 antenna can be feed outside.

What it looks like after mounting.

Mark K5WMH
Oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #10
WD8QBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oboy View Post
What I ended up doing, was getting a Marinco 150BBI, and modified it so a barrel connector could be used.
Attachment 333
The reason for the slit is so the cable for the TW2010 antenna can be feed outside.
Attachment 334
What it looks like after mounting.

Mark K5WMH
Is this what you used? Nice idea!! JIM

http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-150BBI.../dp/B000NI38MG

Thought to include this as your images were not viewable to me in your post.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
Oboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD8QBQ View Post
Is this what you used? Nice idea!! JIM

http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-150BBI.../dp/B000NI38MG

Thought to include this as your images were not viewable to me in your post.
Jim,
Yes that is what I used. I first used it for the block heater cord on the truck, so I could mount it on the new bumper I got. Then started thinking I could modify it for the coax feed thru. Works good for me.

Mark K5WMH
Oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #12
One Country Boy

Mark,

I like your way of routing the connector to the outside. I've been trying to come up with something for our fiver. That gives bme some ideas. I've been just feeding a piece of RG8X out by the bedroom slide. I would rather have something a little more permanant.

You have me thinking. Thanks for the post.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #13
WD8QBQ

Here is a link to a fitting I found. Quite pricy but I think it will work well. This is just one of many sources of the item offered by NewMar. It is actually made in England, but I can not find the source.

http://www.yachtsupplydepot.com/elec...prod_9493.html

There are several models for single and multiple wires depending on your requirements. It makes it nice to be able to seal coax and retain the PL connector on the end. This is a marine devise and should give a real good weather seal.

I ordered a DX-3 paid around $33.00 and will use it to bring my wiring in through the roof from the antenna to the radio. I will show pictures of the install when I finish.

Other models are CCX-R, CCX-S and CCX-T. A Google search of any will bring up numerous sources of supply.

JIM