Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 11-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
TallBrad

Default A Much Needed Forum

My hat's off to those of you who have established this forum, and may it live long and prosper. By way of introduction, I am Brad, N7NWL, and am currently in League City,TX ( just SE of Houston towards Galveston Island). I took early retirement from the aerospace industry, and now live fulltime in my Nash 22H, using an '06 Nissan Titan tow vehicle. First licensed as a Novice in 1968, I am revamping my ham interests after many periods of relative inactivity. My "house" rigs are an FT-7800 dual-bander and an IC-718. The antenna farm is a comet 2m/440 and a HiQ mobile base section with a 108" whip. Both are mounted atop the roof access ladder and are quickly stowed for travel. An FT-8900 quad bander and an Alinco DX-70 are in the process of being installed in the pickup.....but at the speed I work now those projects may take many months yet to complete. Looking forward to a great future for this forum, and thanks again for establishing it.
TallBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
KB5LJE

Welcome and thanks for stopping in.

We are still adding a few things but Radio and the team feel this was a needed site.

Mike
KB5LJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
Radio
Administrator

And welcome to the site. Yeah, we think we have found our niche here.

Is that how you spell niche?

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
radiow6lar

Default Best Wishes on a great start!

Looks like this is going to take off with flying colors. You guys are taking on a really big task here.

Well for starters I'm on the road to retirement, only a year or so to go. The XYL and I are into traveling in our TT and put about 7k to 9K miles a year on ours. So it is reasonable to assume we take our hobby along for the ride. Rig in the RV is an IC-718, antenna is a High Sierra 1800. The TV has a IC-706 MKII with a Sidekick screwdriver antenna and the usual VHF/UHF stuff and antennas.

I've spent 43 years in the telecom industry so far. Worked in the inside switching and in the two-way radio and microwave/fiber areas. Now I maintain a major area fiber optic network and some small microwave radio feeds. Also included in the mix is the inspection and repair of microwave tower facilities wherever my company has them in California, Arizona, Oregon, Idaho and Nevada. I and a coworker do the visual tower inspection (yes, climb them all ) and report on work to be contracted out. We also do special waveguide testing for suspect problems with path losses. Along with my coveted Amateur License I also hold a General Radio Telephone License. I got that one many years ago when you had to go the the Federal Building in LA to suffer the FCC testing. Now that was a trip.

Ok, Question?? What is everyone using for alternate power in their RV's??
Generator, Solar or what have you.

Larry, W6LAR
radiow6lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
KB5LJE

We can handle the task as I have been around the block before a few times on websites. Just no one knows me.

Amatuer Radio/Camping was my first hobbies after the wife. Then came net stuff in 1988. Yep I had AOl when you had to pay for the software and a server at the house. I own 32 domains and lease the server we are on. Radio is a moderator for me at www.forestriverforums.com and came up with this idea and I said yep lets do it. This waas not something thrown up in a few minutes. We worked for a few weeks on the ides and when it was loaded on the server we got happy and opened to the public. We still have a few things to add but I LOVE THIS STUFF!

I use a gen for backup and thanks for signing up and being apart of this great venture.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiow6lar View Post
Looks like this is going to take off with flying colors. You guys are taking on a really big task here.

Well for starters I'm on the road to retirement, only a year or so to go. The XYL and I are into traveling in our TT and put about 7k to 9K miles a year on ours. So it is reasonable to assume we take our hobby along for the ride. Rig in the RV is an IC-718, antenna is a High Sierra 1800. The TV has a IC-706 MKII with a Sidekick screwdriver antenna and the usual VHF/UHF stuff and antennas.

I've spent 43 years in the telecom industry so far. Worked in the inside switching and in the two-way radio and microwave/fiber areas. Now I maintain a major area fiber optic network and some small microwave radio feeds. Also included in the mix is the inspection and repair of microwave tower facilities wherever my company has them in California, Arizona, Oregon, Idaho and Nevada. I and a coworker do the visual tower inspection (yes, climb them all ) and report on work to be contracted out. We also do special waveguide testing for suspect problems with path losses. Along with my coveted Amateur License I also hold a General Radio Telephone License. I got that one many years ago when you had to go the the Federal Building in LA to suffer the FCC testing. Now that was a trip.

Larry, W6LAR
KB5LJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
MPSAN

Just wanted to say hello to all of you from Dave-W6TGE, ex-W0PTW, ex-K1NBW.

I was a Migrant Electronics Worker who worked on Computers from Univac to Sun Microsystems (40 + YEARS) and retired about a year ago. We have a B and will be looking into how to mount an antenna and fish the coax without causing damage!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Radio
Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiow6lar View Post
Along with my coveted Amateur License I also hold a General Radio Telephone License. I got that one many years ago when you had to go the the Federal Building in LA to suffer the FCC testing. Now that was a trip.

Larry, W6LAR
Larry,

Again, welcome to the forum. I too sat before the "steely eyed FCC examiners" and sat for the 1st Class Radiotelephone, and all the ham tickets up through Advanced.

Enjoy yourself here!

Radio
Old 11-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
MPSAN

Yup...never did anything but go to the FCC...except for my novice test in 1957!!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
kc0bid

Thanks for setting up this forum!!!!
2003 Polaris 600 Twin
2006 SunL Coolster
1979 Honda Goldwing GL1000
Yeasu FT857
kc0bid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
Richard Stouffer

I'm very glad to see that you've taken the intiative to set up a forum for RVing Hams. I hope it that most of what passes throught here is within that context. I'm sure we will benefit from it.

Thanks for having the gumption to set it up and for moderating it.

Richard, WU5K
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #11
jagco

This looks like a great forum to start. I've been a ham since 1986, but lost most of my equipment a couple years ago from a lightning strike. I just didn't mess with radio for awhile, but have gotten the bug again. I just also recently moved up to an old ClassC RV, from years of tent camping. So, I'll be looking to put some equipment in that. It came with a chicken band, so I can use that if neccessary for traffic reports.

I have many health problems, so I am on disability. DW (or should I say XYL, here?) still works. When she is able to retire, we hope to RV full-time. I , BTW, am Jeff-N0HOZ. I live in SW, Illinois, but will be moving to MO in the near future.

Anyway, great idea for a forum. I imagine it will do great.
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
Radio
Administrator

jagco...

Welcome to the forum. We'll have you on the road and back on the air on no time. And I think it might be "YL" especially if she's looking over your shoulder...

Radio